Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gannett Hopping Mad Over 'Hopper' -- Longterm agreement reached!

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,591 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

I'm as pro-commercial television as anyone. Read my posts in other threads... Commercial TV is supported by (wait for it...) commercials!

And we pay less to have those channels than we would IF they had commercials.

So... on one level I do think it odd for Dish to be fighting this fight with AutoHOP... Even odder still when you consider Dish sells and inserts commercials itself, so AutoHOP is at odds with some of Dish's own revenue streams!

And lastly... AutoHop, for all its touted to be "customers should be able to watch TV as they like" feature... how come Dish only enabled it for OTA LiLs and not for other Dish/SAT provided commercial channels?

Dish seems to be singularly focusing the AutoHOP on OTA channels... and not commercial channels in general.

ALL that said... OTA stations aren't doing themselves any favors... Companies that own multiple channels negotiating all-or-nothing carriage for ALL their channels in varying markets instead of negotiating carriage for each channel in each market... so IF Dish doesn't want to pay in Idaho, New York doesn't get their channels either...

Also... hiding behind the AutoHOP is evil response and simultaneously asking for 300% increases (as rumored here) make no sense to me....

A lot of people have been cord-cutting... and those people get OTA for free... so if some of these affiliates don't wise up, they will effectively make it unattractive for Dish to carry them... and they'll lose the revenue stream that they do have.

I still think Dish needs to re-think their AutoHOP strategy too. Originally they advertised it as you had to wait 24 hours to view without commercials... but from reports here that quickly shrank to 1am for a lot of people and in some cases people are apparently able to AutoHOP commercials on an 8pm show while the 10pm shows are still recording.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

And this interesting tidbit from an NBC "related" entity:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/49304831/

#43 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

All around it sounds like something an inexperienced and naive greenhorn or intern would green light while the executives weren't looking. Then the adults have to come in and clean up the mess after the fact.

Considering all the good products and services (despite the many Dish flaws :)) they have deployed over the years, it just seems odd that they would set themselves up for such an obvious and destructive confrontation.

#44 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

This is purely a reposting of a Dish press release, incluing a Dish Network puff bio at the the end and hyperlinks to their website.

Who knew NBC was anti-commercial and so in the tank for Dish Network? ;)
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#45 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

Since Dish is due to release the OTA dongle for the Hopper in the possibly near future, will you still be able to auto hop with OTA channels? Humm...
VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Even odder still when you consider Dish sells and inserts commercials itself, so AutoHOP is at odds with some of Dish's own revenue streams!

DISH cannot insert ads on local broadcast channels (other than the old fashioned way: buy advertising on those stations).

BTW: In previous carriage battles it has been revealed that part of those carriage contracts was an advertising buy. DISH agreeing to buy advertising on the local station they wanted to carry. So perhaps they are skipping their own ads, in a limited way.

And lastly... AutoHop, for all its touted to be "customers should be able to watch TV as they like" feature... how come Dish only enabled it for OTA LiLs and not for other Dish/SAT provided commercial channels?

Perhaps some day they will. The OTA channels are the most viewed so it makes sense to start there.

Also... hiding behind the AutoHOP is evil response and simultaneously asking for 300% increases (as rumored here) make no sense to me....

Part of the problem is with the low cost of previous contracts. If the last contract was signed more than a couple of years ago the payment to the station is more likely to be minimal. Years ago stations were not out to make a lot of money off of retransmission. Now they are more likely to seek that revenue stream.

5c per customer jumping to 20c is 300%. 10c to 40c is 300%. 25c to $1 is 300%.

#47 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

This is purely a reposting of a Dish press release, incluing a Dish Network puff bio at the the end and hyperlinks to their website.

Who knew NBC was anti-commercial and so in the tank for Dish Network? ;)

That's why I said "interesting".

#48 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,274 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

That's not a juicy "tidbit", it's called a "press release". In this instance, a DISH press release.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#49 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

DISH Headquarters is about 5 miles from the two Denver stations (KUSA and KTVD). The crawls are running on the two stations. This could actually become something nasty fro DISH because of them being Denver based and the local media may not be too kind to them.

Of course, at one time NBC had NFL football, and if the Broncos were knocked off DISH, this town would be having an uprising.

As for Gannet wanting a 300% increase; it has been said before television stations should be paying to be on a system, not the other way around. Considering they get revenue from ads, this is just corporate greed.

#50 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

According to who? Dish?

man u really are a dish hater

#51 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:11 PM

All around it sounds like something an inexperienced and naive greenhorn or intern would green light while the executives weren't looking. Then the adults have to come in and clean up the mess after the fact.

Considering all the good products and services (despite the many Dish flaws :)) they have deployed over the years, it just seems odd that they would set themselves up for such an obvious and destructive confrontation.

if directv had this feature in their DVR's i bet u would say it was the best invention since sliced bread

Edited by domingos35, 05 October 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

if directv had this feature in their DVR's i bet u would say it was the best invention since sliced bread

No, because "features" like this have the potential to make the entire industry more difficult in regards to negotiations.
DTV = Digital Television

#53 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

man u really are a dish hater

yo

yo

There you go. You keep losing those from your posts.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#54 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 21,274 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

yo

yo

There you go. You keep losing those from your posts.

ur

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#55 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,112 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

I am not a Dish customer but after hearing about this on the local news I hopped (excuse the pun) over here to see the discussion. Does Gannett really think anyone with a DVR does not skip commercials?? I even record the late news so I can start about 10 minutes in and skip the commercials. If DirecTV ever offered something equivalent to AutoHop I would use it but it would not decrease my commercial viewing.

Back in VCR days I had one that would automatically FF thru commercials and no one had an issue with that...
My Setup

#56 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

Completely ridiculous to me. If I lose my channels, I will be switching.

Well... This is not your average dispute... Obviously Dish is not going to change their Hopper technology, so it will be on Garnett and wether they will follow through with their threats.

Dish isn't going to exclude channels from ad skipping otherwise all channels will be demanding that.

You may have no other choice but to switch.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#57 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

Customers want to skip commercials, channels don't want you to... customers don't want to lose their channels.

Dish can't win for losing.

If Dish takes away trick play commercial skipping features, customers will complain too... I guarantee that.

Auto hop is not the same as any other trickplay. I know many think it is, but its just not. That's the problem here.

Always support the carrier over the content providers. Always.

I usually agree with you, except for this one time, in regards to auto hop. They need to stop it now before others think they can put this out and cause all our rates to sky rocket even more. Soon, everything will be priced like HBO if everyone has an auto hop type feature.

The Hopper is just an easy target ... and DISH has already modified the product to appease broadcasters. If broadcasters had their way viewers would be able to skip any portion of television EXCEPT the commercials.

I'm sure that if the Hopper didn't skip commercials Gannett would just find another gripe to complain about. It is just low hanging fruit. Somehow these station groups and channel groups find something to dispute ... even in cases when the carrier isn't DISH. :)

I haven't really kept up lately, how did they change auto hop? Unless you have to hit the button at the beginning of each commercial, its not going to be close enough to making broadcasters happy.

Well... This is not your average dispute... Obviously Dish is not going to change their Hopper technology, so it will be on Garnett and wether they will follow through with their threats.

Dish isn't going to exclude channels from ad skipping otherwise all channels will be demanding that.

You may have no other choice but to switch.

I think this is just the first shot across the bow. Over the next year, I suspect a lot of broadcasters as their contracts expire are going to do the same thing, and if so, dish may have to relent. Wait till the O&O negotiations come up. That could be the death keel of auto hop.

#58 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:53 PM

After 16 years on (dbsforums, dbstalk combined) I have read allot of passion posts for leaving E or D over content contract disputes and some do for several years. Then I see members quietly re-join the E or D discussions as though nothing happened. Switching locks you into a 2 year commitment and during that time no guarantee the other providers contracts want come up during your now locked in contract period. Other channels disappear and your bonus comes in your 13th bill.

You either switch because you are out of contract and the other provider offers free installation, new equipment, 2 year contract, with a better price "or" just for spite - because? Let's get real, just 4 mo's ago this scenario played out on DirecTV or did we all forget so soon. Web wails as DirecTV channels go dark. at&t U-Verse also went through contract disputes June 2012 and channels where cut off without warning.

Let's also not forget what happened on these forums when DirectTV "proposed" a 10% package hike last year. Will my cost for DIRECTV service go up in 2012? "I am going to leave DirecTV, they have been raising my rates $5 a year for 3 years". Where are these people during content provider contract disputes, oh... here we are "I am leaving Dish if they turn off Gannet."

Edited by Marcus S, 06 October 2012 - 12:00 AM.

VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

#59 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

They need to stop it now before others think they can put this out and cause all our rates to sky rocket even more.

Let them raise rates, and remove all commercials. Id pay $10/mo for each group of commercial free channels I like.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#60 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

If you think about it, Gannett et al, should be offering to REDUCE rates in exchange for disabling Hopper, not blackmailing and extorting higher rates among threats.

This is 2012. People don't like being forced to watch commercials. They're appreciative of tools to help make them go away.

This isn't such a bad idea.

But since the hopper is new[er] tech, I doubt Dish wants to go backwards. Not having a hopper myself, [ and really, no desire to record locals that I barely watch anyway,] I imagine the skip feature is the high point on this receiver.

It's Dish's baby, and whether you agree or disagree with the purpose, as far as I can tell, it's not illegal.

What I do agree with is the point of not having a across the board increase in pricing due to a particular receiver. If you want the "hoppa", fine, but you'll have to absorb the cost that goes with it, however this plays out.

Don't you think the other providers are watching this closely? This auto skip tech isn't rocket science. They probably have their prototype sitting on the workbench while they wait to see what happens.......:D

As an added note, I had to put up an antenna when I had DTV, as they didn't carry my locals, and it's still connected...

Edited by satcrazy, 06 October 2012 - 01:49 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...