Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gannett Hopping Mad Over 'Hopper' -- Longterm agreement reached!

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

That's called collusion and it's illegal.

It is not illegal to open source your invention and to remove all patent applications for it. There is no law that requires Dish to keep the technology that enables Hopper private.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

It is not illegal to open source your invention and to remove all patent applications for it. There is no law that requires Dish to keep the technology that enables Hopper private.

That's not the collusion part. This is...

so they can all work together to stick their thumbs in the eyes of the content providers.

DTV = Digital Television

#63 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

I think ultimately this is what he was implying though (about letting the tech be open source.)

#64 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

Only if they plan it ahead, or if Dish were to put such a condition on the release.

If Dish were to release or sell the technology without conditions and the others decided to use it by their own choice, there would be no problem.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#65 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

Only if they plan it ahead, or if Dish were to put such a condition on the release.

If Dish were to release or sell the technology without conditions and the others decided to use it by their own choice, there would be no problem.

Which isn't what you suggested. You suggested they work together to squeeze content providers.
DTV = Digital Television

#66 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,809 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

Which isn't what you suggested. You suggested they work together to squeeze content providers.

What's wrong with all the cable / satellite companies / consumers getting together to squeeze that ? I don't see anything wrong with it. After all - they have their broadcaster associations, where their probably discussing this .
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#67 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

What's wrong with all the cable / satellite companies / consumers getting together to squeeze that ? I don't see anything wrong with it. After all - they have their broadcaster associations, where their probably discussing this .

they're :sure:

But yeah, if NAB isn't collusion, I don't know what is.

If several networks getting together to file suit isn't collusion, I don't know what is.

Maybe a little collusion is needed to bring costs down and smack the network suits back into line.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#68 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

Sounds more like, once again, Dish will be the one smacked back into line. Talk about an ethically bankrupt group of executives. They learned that from Charlie.
DTV = Digital Television

#69 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

I just don't understand the strategy behind openly inviting/encouraging lawsuits and strained business relationships with things like the Hopper.

As long as commercial skipping is activated by consumers on ANY DVR there is probably nothing networks can do. THIS ALREADY HAS BEEN UPHELD IN COURT AS LEGAL. If networks refuse carriage because of commercial skipping then either there will be huge lawsuits against all networks that engage in dropping carriage or ALL DVR'S IN THE COUNTRY WILL HAVE DISCONTINUE commercial skipping or it goes back to court.

#70 OFFLINE   darinpaul1

darinpaul1

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

So this boils down to content providers are losing revenue because I have the ability to skip commercials. Well lets take it one step farther then because we need to be fair to em".
Contracts better be negotiated with the TV manufacturers because they gave me a the ability to change channels during the commercials to a channel that is not airing commercials at that time. Also the toilet manufacturers because I should not have the ability to go to the bathroom during these commercials as that might cause them bankruptcy. (or perhaps force them to put TV's on the toilet so I won't miss any of the ads) I also think my local station should charge the other network when I do switch to them during commercials because apparently I have caused them great financial hardship. And to anyone who owns a remote that makes it to easy to change that channel we should charge $5 or $10 a month because it does make it to easy to change the channel DURING COMMERCIALS. Talk about a can of worms. I find it funny that a company(that I don't subscribe to) or watch their particular stations feels its ok to disrupt my viewing habits and cause me to pay more. If they need more ad revenue maybe they should search for a way of creating more revenue. Put a can of Coke on the anchor desk during the news. It's not that hard.

#71 OFFLINE   darinpaul1

darinpaul1

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Wait another great idea. how about you make the one hour program 1 hour and scroll ads on the bottom. Of course they will have to come up with the technology to make sure my eyes look at the ad so if not they can send me a bill. I'm sure you won't have any issue making the service providers pay for the technology, after all it's only fair.

#72 OFFLINE   darinpaul1

darinpaul1

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

And damnit I want my galsses that can air their shows no matter what I'm doing. If I miss another ad I may just have to send them a check because of the guilt I'm feeling. Now I'm a Directv customer currently watching Comcast ( between houses) but feel Sorry for Charlie. Who do I send the check too?

#73 OFFLINE   darinpaul1

darinpaul1

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Most companies who begin losing revenue seek new and creative streams of new revenue! I think they should hire supermodels to do the news in swimsuits and change them out frequently so I don't get bored. Also I would recommend only one commercial between stories as I might get bored and change the channel (or just take away the ability to change the channel). If all ads were Superbowl ads I wouldn't change the channel or fast forward through them. Of course I did go to the bathroom (I was drinking beer) but if the content providers would just listen to me and add TV's to toilets there wouldn't be an issue. Of course I did DVR the Superbowl commercials and watched some more than once. Maybe I should send a bill to them for watching more than I was supposed too. SUPPOSE THEY'LL PAY IT!

#74 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

I can watch my watch and record KARE-11 (Gannett in the Twin Cities) via OTA, so it doesn't affect me much, other than not having guide info and having to do so manually.

I understand the point of contention, but regardless of whether the Hopper feature can "eliminate" commercials with the push of ONE button or MY DVR requires me to push the "Skip Ahead" button 2-3 times, I'm still not viewing them.

If there are people out there who record programs and actually DO still watch the commercials, they CAN do that with the Hopper; they just would not enable the "AutoHop" feature, correct?
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

#75 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

Right.

But I doubt the technology is that special that others couldn't create their own. That they choose to not do so is a good thing.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#76 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

if directv had this feature in their DVR's i bet u would say it was the best invention since sliced bread

D* has had this ability for a number of years but elected not to put it out there for any number of reasons, including those that are surfacing now.

http://www.forbes.co...ing-technology/
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#77 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

Customers want to skip commercials, channels don't want you to... customers don't want to lose their channels.

Dish can't win for losing.

If Dish takes away trick play commercial skipping features, customers will complain too... I guarantee that.

All this skipping commercials bs has been upheld in court as legal as long as the as long as the public does the skip and not the company like Dish or Dtv.
You can enable the commercial skip or not. Dish does not force you to do it so the networks will be held liable if they stop carriage because of that feature. I don't see where networks have leg to stand on unless it goes back to court.

#78 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

All this skipping commercials bs has been upheld in court as legal as long as the as long as the public does the skip and not the company like Dish or Dtv.
You can enable the commercial skip or not. Dish does not force you to do it so the networks will be held liable if they stop carriage because of that feature. I don't see where networks have leg to stand on unless it goes back to court.

What is legal or not has nothing to do with this. This is a contract negotiation. Gannet is not saying the Dish is breaking the law, they are simply saying "disable autohop or else pay us 3 times as much to compensate for lost ad impressions." At the moment, Dish has declined that "offer."

This is a very complex issue. Local stations are low profit operations, certainly those outside major metro areas. The operational costs are rising steadily - FCC license fees, regulatory reporting costs, network affiliation fees, electricity, equipment costs, salaries and more just keep going up. Meanwhile, ad revenues are shrinking, driven by many favors - competition from Internet streaming and cable channels being a major component. But do you think advertisers are stupid? They have been pushing back on ad rates for years, citing the rise of DVRs as justification for discounting a portion of the viewership a station gets. Having a system that auto-skips ads is just adding insult to injury.

Nobody is good or evil in this dispute...all parties are businesses, trying to do whatever they can to provide value to their respective stockholders. "The public interest" is a lovely concept, but it really doesn't enter into this equation - no matter who we're referring to.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#79 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,809 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I don't see where the networks have a leg to stand on - period. The Sony Betamax decision, the FACT that the whole program (including commercials) is stored on the DVR - this can be easily demonstrated in court, and there's not a jury in the USA that would side with the Networks as to whether it is legal or not.

If the networks want to take their ball and go home - that's their decision.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#80 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

I haven't really kept up lately, how did they change auto hop? Unless you have to hit the button at the beginning of each commercial, its not going to be close enough to making broadcasters happy.

when it started, it was active by default. After complaints/whining, DISH changed the default to 'off' and forced the consumer to enable it.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...