Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gannett Hopping Mad Over 'Hopper' -- Longterm agreement reached!

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

And people wonder why creating a one time setting to skip all commercials would make a difference, vs having to do it manually every time....

Do you WANT to skip commercials manually every time? If so, the default option on AutoHop is "no thanks" ... you can get back to wearing out the remote control skip buttons.

The core purpose of the VCR was to allow people to view what they wanted as many times as they wanted when they wanted and not view what they wanted to skip. Technology has improved over the years with the DVR moving to digital storage and "watch while record" capability ... along with more accurate skipping of blocks of time. AutoHop and similar technologies are just the next step in that evolution.

In general, I'd say that people do not want to watch commercials. There are good commercials that people tolerate but it is not very often that I hear someone say "I'm going to go watch TV ... I hope I see a terrific new ad". I only hear that at one time of the year ... the "big game" where many viewers are watching for the commercials more than the football.

For decades people have wanted control over their TVs. Starting with "I can buy programs on tape" and quickly moving to "I can record programs on tape" (with the related lawsuits from what we would now call content providers) until where we are today. Not seeing commercials is something people want ... something people have invested money in achieving (including buying DVDs or non-DISH equipment that also skips commercials). And if DISH customers don't want their commercials skipped, they can always choose "no thanks".

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

i.e. they don't watch with the remote in hand skipping commercials, they just turn the show on and watch it. Commercials and all.

I suspect there are more people like that out there than regular readers of a forum like this would guess.

Maybe, but those would be the same people who use commercials as breaks to go to the bathroom, get a snack or whatever else. It still doesn't mean they actually watch commercials.

The only way I can think of to prove how many people really watch them would be to get some data from marketers of those 'but wait, there's more! Call now to double the offer!' type product commercials and find out how many people call during or immediately after those ads air.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#123 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Well, the big companies certainly have their marketing data. And when you look at what an ad cost, a 30 second ad on American Idol costs about $500,000 in 2011. Add up how many ads there are in a one hour American Idol show, and that's a ton of money Fox gets from companies who think there is a huge return on their ad. American Idol is on the high end, but even The Simpsons charges a quarter of a million dollars for every 30 second ad.

So these companies certainly have some kind of data that tells them spending millions and millions on 30 second ads results in a lot of sales/revenue of some kind. And certainly the network's model depends upon having those many, many million in ad revenue coming in every night. Which is why I say, as soon as the companies decide ads aren't being watched, they will stop paying television networks all that cash, and they will then have to find other sources of that income. Almost certainly that will involve viewers picking up the costs.

#124 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

Customers want to skip commercials, channels don't want you to... customers don't want to lose their channels.

Dish can't win for losing.

If Dish takes away trick play commercial skipping features, customers will complain too... I guarantee that.

:) Can't win for nothing!!!!!
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#125 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Stupid Dish Network...
AMC is gone and is never coming back...
Disney Channels in HD will never, ever be on their lineup...
Now I'm losing NBC here in Atlanta...now that I finally got hooked on an NBC show...Go On...

And as someone pointed out...funny how Dish ALWAYS says the brodcasters are asking for 300% increases...that's their go to number...

#126 OFFLINE   packethauler

packethauler

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'll survive if KARE disappears from my channel list tonight. All the shows I care about are available on Hulu the next day. I can stream those through my Hopper with the PlayOn software.

Gannett is being completely unreasonable, and I hope Dish stands up to these clowns. It's OTA for crying out loud!
Dish 1000.2 - 110W 119W 129W
AT 200
(1) Hopper w/ (2) Joeys

60" Panasonic TC-P60UT50 PDP
51" Samsung D7000 PDP
37" Sony KDF-37H1000 RP LCD

#127 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Most if not all shows will wind up on iTunes, Hulu, networks websites (with embedded ads probably) if you wait long enough they'll stream on Netflix or,come out on disc, without ads.

It's getting to the point where networks are biting the hands that feed them, it's getting too expensive to continue to watch shows, cable's been too expensive for a long time, and even satellite companies are getting up there to the point where I may have to consider down grading and look for the shows I'll miss online.

And IMHO it's networks and studios are the primary cause. Skipping commercials has been done for years, for Gannett to get in a huff over auto-skip now is dis-ingenuous. The method whether its in software or me pressing a button on a remote is irrelevant. I still don't watch their commercials.
Norm

#128 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

It's 12:09 AM and WKYC is still on Dish here in Cleveland. The station just aired a warning message that we "may lose" ch 3 on Dish at Midnight 10/7.

#129 OFFLINE   chouseman

chouseman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

WUSA 9 in D.C. aired a warning during 60 minutes that programming might go off at midnight, but they are still on at 12:20 a.m...

So who blinked?

#130 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:26 PM

Wait till midnight pacific.

#131 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

Wait till midnight pacific.

Or Mountain ... Cheyenne time (unless they are waiting for Gannett affiliates on the west coast).

The WSJ says they were talking Sunday:
http://online.wsj.co...2408997314.html

Dish and Gannett were negotiating Sunday in hopes of reaching a deal that would avert a blackout of Gannett's TV stations on Dish's satellite service, a spokesman for Dish said.

An agreement allowing Dish to carry Gannett's 22 TV stations on its satellite-TV service was due to expire at midnight on Sunday. If the two companies don't agree on financial terms for a renewal of the deal, Dish customers in 19 cities—including Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Denver and Phoenix—faced losing access to certain ABC, CBS and NBC-affiliated stations.

A blackout of Gannett TV stations would hit Dish customers in 19 cities.

"We remain committed to getting a deal done," a spokesman for Gannett said Sunday.

Station list (via Google):
http://www.stationin...y-owner/Gannett

#132 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

Midnight Mountain Time - Gannett Denver Channels Gone.

The ironic thing is that Gannett is not talking. I've notice in most all their conversations of this, nothing has really been said other than DISH won't concede. Oh and nothing as I would expect on the main DISH site.

#133 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:49 AM

2:00am they went dark here in Atlanta, it is now 2:49am and they are back on.

#134 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

Cool Man

• DBSTalk Club
  • 998 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:14 AM

Statement regarding Gannett-Dish negotiations

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#135 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:39 AM

"MCLEAN, Va., Oct. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- At this time, Gannett and Dish are continuing to negotiate. In order to provide additional time to reach a deal, both sides have agreed to extend the deadline by several hours."

Wow ... normally it is days. Seems odd to issue a press release for hours.

#136 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

There is a dispute over two NBC denver stations 9 & 20 as well. Personally and I mean personally I am tired of my bill going up each year to the extent that I may just start hopping back and forth between Dish & DirecTV every two years. What I get is a brand new installation with the latest equipment and at least a 1 year discount under a two year contract.

I support Dish playing hard ball with Gannet, AMC networks and others that may come up in the future provided it keeps my bill lower than DirecTV or cable. The content providers have needed a big wake up call for over a decade and maybe lossing 20 million customers in their revenue stream may provide that. This is not going to be the same goal for everyone, some people are willing to pay whatever the cost will be.

I read over and over again that neither cable or satellite are growing at rates they did 10 years ago. Many wonder if the subscriber rates will actually start falling. Keep in mind that many of the younger folk buying their first home are choosing streaming sources over satellite or cable and pay as you go may be the only audience left for content providers if they don't change their position. I think a perfect example of this is the music industry. When was the last time anyone bought a CD? Now days people buy the specific songs they want.

http://www.9news.com...mming/dish.aspx

Hey, I still buy CD's. I don't like paying for 10% of the music.

#137 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:04 AM

Just for the heck of it I thought I would check, 2 am MDT, Denver 9 & 20 are back. But they just played the "could drop at Midnight on Sunday" ad again/still.

Got all the timers that really matter moved over to OTA. There's not many though.

#138 OFFLINE   Cuzzz

Cuzzz

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:27 AM

I think it's already been said, but my take is if you use your DVR a lot, you're going to skip commercials whether or not you have to hit forward a few times. Dish is just acknowledging that most people skip commercials when watching recordings, so they're just doing away with the nonsense of having to forward through them 30 secs at a time. If content providers think this new feature is causing lots of people to skip commercials who otherwise wouldn't skip commercials, they're kidding themselves big time. And if some of your favorite shows get dropped for a time ala AMC, can you say P2P torrents? Most of the popular shows are posted to sites like PB within hrs of airing. Download, connect your PC or laptop to the big flat screen via HDMI, then stream 'em to the TV in near-HD resolution. If content providers are gonna squeeze Dish to drop a not-too-consequential commercial skipping feature or demand they (we) pay more for the content, then there are workarounds if they decide to pull their content.

#139 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

:D

I think it's already been said, but my take is if you use your DVR a lot, you're going to skip commercials whether or not you have to hit forward a few times. Dish is just acknowledging that most people skip commercials when watching recordings, so they're just doing away with the nonsense of having to forward through them 30 secs at a time. If content providers think this new feature is causing lots of people to skip commercials who otherwise wouldn't skip commercials, they're kidding themselves big time. And if some of your favorite shows get dropped for a time ala AMC, can you say P2P torrents? Most of the popular shows are posted to sites like PB within hrs of airing. Download, connect your PC or laptop to the big flat screen via HDMI, then stream 'em to the TV in near-HD resolution. If content providers are gonna squeeze Dish to drop a not-too-consequential commercial skipping feature or demand they (we) pay more for the content, then there are workarounds if they decide to pull their content.

I use auto-hop all the time. I can activate the feature then put my remote down and watch.

#140 OFFLINE   LazhilUT

LazhilUT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

I'll survive if KARE disappears from my channel list tonight. All the shows I care about are available on Hulu the next day. I can stream those through my Hopper with the PlayOn software.

Gannett is being completely unreasonable, and I hope Dish stands up to these clowns. It's OTA for crying out loud!

Can you give me more details on this software add on to your hopper?

spam firewall