Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Use of old DirecTV receivers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drogers100

drogers100

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

My sons apartment complex at college has switched from cable to directTV service. They really don't want to enter into a 24 month contract but would like to signup for directTV. I have spoken to a few CSR at direcTV but am not confident all the answers are correct. My question is what will they be lacking if they use any of the following receivers.

HR10-250
H10
SD DVR80
SD DVR40

According to the rep by using my old equipment they do not have to enter into a contract with DTV.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,289 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

No HD for sure, I am not sure if the DVR40 and DVR80 can still be re-activated
My Setup

#3 ONLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

If the entire apt went to dtv then it would be setup as an MDU and those receivers will not work. Some MDUs dont require contract but you will have to check with MDU rep.

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

Agree with west on this. New MDU (multidwelling units) use SWM technology(or even IP) and none of those receivers will work with SWM. As he posted, some MDUs (college apartments are a good example) don't require a 2-year commitment, the customers get the receivers through the MDU management. You need to talk to whoever at the apartments manages the MDU. A DirecTV CSR will NOT be able to give you good info on this.

#5 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Texasbrit and west are correct....MDU's are a different sort of animal
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#6 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

I believe the H10 and HR10-250 will work standalone via OTA antenna.
Otherwise they are boat anchors.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...