Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple-like Android

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,099 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

At first I thought the Droid 4 I saw and mentioned in another thread was just an oddity. Now it seems the LG Nexus phone that comes out at the end of the month will double down. No removable battery, no micro SD slot and 8 to 16gb internal storage. Those have always been two major things that Android proponents give as a benefit compared to iPhone. Or is it seen as not a big deal anymore?

http://news.cnet.com...d-of-the-month/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 771 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

No nexus device has ever had external memory. But the non-removable battery is a downgrade imho
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#3 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

No nexus device has ever had external memory. But the non-removable battery is a downgrade imho

My Nexus1 has external memory.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

I thought I would find the lack of removable battery a bummer. But truthfully, the last time I replaced a phone battery it looked like this:

Posted Image

Every phone after that has had plenty of battery life left when I was ready to upgrade. And, it's not impossible to change the battery in an iPhone, in fact it's not tough at all if you have the tools, available at ifixit.com
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

My Galaxy Nexus is a 32GB internal.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 771 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

My Nexus1 has external memory.

yes sorry, but of course that only came with 512MB onboard.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:00 AM

At first I thought the Droid 4 I saw and mentioned in another thread was just an oddity. Now it seems the LG Nexus phone that comes out at the end of the month will double down. No removable battery, no micro SD slot and 8 to 16gb internal storage. Those have always been two major things that Android proponents give as a benefit compared to iPhone. Or is it seen as not a big deal anymore?

http://news.cnet.com...d-of-the-month/

The Droid 4 has a micro SD card. There are however other phones that have come out that don't have external memory options. On the whole though they're usually the Google versions or on the lower end of the Android phones.

Edited by Shades228, 09 October 2012 - 03:18 AM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,099 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

The Droid 4 has a micro SD card. There are however other phones that have come out that don't have external memory options. On the whole though they're usually the Google versions or on the lower end of the Android phones.

Yes, but one of the main arguments on apple vs android always seems to be removable battery. The droid 4 doesn't. It was actually the first phone with a removable back that I had to look up on how to take it off.

#9 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

I have the Sprint Evo LTE with no removeable battery but I know I could get it out if I needed too. I too don't think it's much of a factor anymore. Sure I want the option to have external MicroSD and removable battery but with my Evo LTE I don't think I will need to switch it anytime soon but know I can if I have too.

So personally it isn't a big deal about the battery and with so many cloud services out their I have well over 32 gigs on-line somewhere. So ya, the sign of the times I guess.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...