Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Adding Linux to Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Currently have a Windows 7 PC at home. I'm planning on adding Linux to it. Anything I need to know to do this? Is there good FREE partitioning software out there? How much should I reserve for Linux? What about booting into Linux? Is that something my motherboard will handle itself? Will I need to tell it I have 2 OS's? If it helps, this is my motherboard: http://www.asus.com/...P6X58D_Premium/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

I installed Ubuntu on my win7 machine. It uses NTFS, so I didnt need to repartition anything. Short of that, just drop a second drive in the computer for the Linux stuff and keep everything separate.

The Ubuntu install created a Windows Boot manager entry, so when the PC is booted, you have 10 second to decide which one, after which it defaults to loading windows. That is all customizable BTW

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

If you go with Ubuntu it will take care of all your partitioning (resizing, etc) for you and setup the GRUB bootloader. That will allow you to choose which OS you want to use when you boot.

I wouldn't use the Windows Boot Manager, use GRUB and let Linux use it's default format of EXT4, not NTFS.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

If you go with Ubuntu it will take care of all your partitioning (resizing, etc) for you and setup the GRUB bootloader. That will allow you to choose which OS you want to use when you boot.

I wouldn't use the Windows Boot Manager, use GRUB and let Linux use it's default format of EXT4, not NTFS.

No problem with NTFS and EXT4 on the same drive (Different partitions obviously)? Ubuntu is probably what I'll choose. VERY new to Linux.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,466 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

No issues with different file systems.

Just in case something happens with the resize, I'd still back up your windows data.

#6 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

No issues with different file systems.

Just in case something happens with the resize, I'd still back up your windows data.

I actually don't keep anything major on the Windows drive. Everything is on my NAS in RAID 1 lol

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

No problem with NTFS and EXT4 on the same drive (Different partitions obviously)? Ubuntu is probably what I'll choose. VERY new to Linux.

No, no problem at all. I have a dual boot laptop that has Windows 7 NTFS and Ubuntu Linux EXT4 Encrypted. Once you have Windows installed then go for Ubuntu and it will walk you through the whole setup and install process. It will even determine how to resize your windows partition and make sure a chkdsk is run on the Windows partition on the next boot into windows.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall