Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Never hurts to ask

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Smush401

Smush401

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

So the Direct Sat guy came over today to upgrade me to an HD DVR. I asked him which model he had to install. He said he had an HR21. I asked if he had any HR24's in the truck that he could give me instead. So he went back into his truck and came back with one! Never hurts to ask!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,361 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

My mother, now 89, has always said, "You don't know what you can get until you ask".

Good job.

I wrote to them recently and asked why didn't they quit sending those and the HR20's out or at least upgrade their hard drive to the size of the 22,23 ans 24's.
Got no answer on that one.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

It might also not hurt to slide him a folding portrait of Andrew Jackson, if the wheels prove to need just a little more grease.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   Smush401

Smush401

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

It might also not hurt to slide him a folding portrait of Andrew Jackson, if the wheels prove to need just a little more grease.

Already done and appreciated!!! ;)

#5 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

My mother, now 89, has always said, "You don't know what you can get until you ask".

Good job.

I wrote to them recently and asked why didn't they quit sending those and the HR20's out or at least upgrade their hard drive to the size of the 22,23 ans 24's.

I wonder that as well
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#6 OFFLINE   dueport

dueport

Mentor

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

What a great saying!

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,981 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Good job.

There is no reason to go back and upgrade hard drives for those machines, thats increased costs on units that are half way or more through their life cycles. And the hr20s have reached end of life, they are no longer collecting them, so in time, they will no longer have any to send out as they move through their inventories.

#8 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

There is no reason to go back and upgrade hard drives for those machines, thats increased costs on units that are half way or more through their life cycles. And the hr20s have reached end of life, they are no longer collecting them, so in time, they will no longer have any to send out as they move through their inventories.

LOL, gee that kind of pokes a hole in Directv's argument that all DVRs are the same.

#9 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

My HR20s are still going strong and I record on them every day, saves wear and tear on the HR24s.

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

LOL, gee that kind of pokes a hole in Directv's argument that all DVRs are the same.

Well, I think they define "all" as "all of the DVRs that we are currently sending out"; any DVR model could be excluded from that group at any time, so EOL models probably would be. And I think "the same" refers to "functionally" the same, and is termed loosely. IOW, if it records and plays back, its the same as any other DVR they offer, in their view.

You buy the premise, you buy the bit, so devil's advocate says the argument holds.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall