Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Acutrac III Plus [BUYERS BRWARE]

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   feeder22

feeder22

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

I bought an Acutrac III Plus 11/2011 and only used it 3 times and it went TU. I called Perfect-10 to find out where to get fixed and they told me that they have NO repair places to have it fixed. Also they said if i bought it from a third party there is no waranty. Just FYI beware of where you purchase. Personaly I do not recommend it. For 250.00 I would expect some kind of customer service from the mfg. Save your money.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Did you ask what constitutes a third party? I have no idea if the place I purchased my Acutrac II (Sat Pro) is an authorized vendor or third party. I guess this needs some clarification. Did they say your vendor is not authorized to sell Acutrac equipment?

I take it you tried loading it with alkaline AA batteries to be sure it is not a battery issue. I agree that it really sucks that it only worked 3 times.

Is dealing with Emitor directly out of the question?

#3 OFFLINE   BennyGregg

BennyGregg

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

I bought an Acutrac III+ from Solid Signal and it had an issue during the warranty; it was no problem getting it replaced.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

A quick check shows the warranty is one year, and yours is almost 2 years old, so certainly out of warranty. However, I would think you could get factory repair done if you get a return authorization and send it to them. Because it is out of repair, you will have to pay for the repair (and shipping).

Also, as BobStokesbary suggested, do replace the batteries if you have not already done so. With the limited use you have for yours, the rechargeable batteries most likely are dead.

#5 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 879 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Ha I just saw today they got these on sale for $95 right now. I don't need one but funny this topic came up as the put them on clearance.

#6 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

If you bought that with a major credit card, most double the manufacture's warranty or at least add a year. You might be just inside the 2 year credit card warranty. Might be worth checking into.

#7 OFFLINE   feeder22

feeder22

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

I bought it 11/2011. That is just 11 months ago. I will not mention the company I bought it from, but they just refured me back to Perfect-10.

#8 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

It's common practice for several manufacturers to to protect their distributors/dealers/resellers in this manner. Only products sold by authorized distributors/dealers/resellers of a a particular brand will carry the manufacturers warranty; otherwise in null and void. This is common practice, and is the case with most manufacturers as Pioneer, Monster (Monster Cable Products), Samsung, Definitive Technology, Bose, etc......

This is expecially the case when it comes to internet sales. This protects legitimate distributors/dealers/resellers from being undercut by b stock, refurbished, stolen, counterfiet or any other type of unauthorized unit sales.

Any manufacturer that enforces this policy is mandated to have a disclaimer posted on their website. Most also include this within their written warranty supplied with the product itself.

Here are just some examples:

http://www.pioneerel...nternet Dealers

http://www.monstercable.com/warranty/

http://www.samsung.c...ceddealers.html

http://www.definitiv...lers/authorized

http://www.bose.com/...imited_warranty

#9 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Squaretrade warrantys will cover these type sales in most cases.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

I bought it 11/2011. That is just 11 months ago. I will not mention the company I bought it from, but they just refured me back to Perfect-10.

Oops, your right, my mistake. Obviously can't read a calendar.

Without knowing more (like where you purchased the unit), there isn't much more that anyone here can offer. It is unfortunate you are having this experience. I would try contacting both the company you bought it from again, and Perfect 10, and see if you can't get something resolved.

Oh, and have you tried changing batteries?

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

So is the issue you bought it from an unauthorized reseller and the manufacturer wont cover the warranty? Thats completely and 100% normal. Thats the risk you take when buying from one. Usually when buying from unauthorized resellers you get it cheaper than from an authorized one...if what I have assumed is true you are going to responsible for repair costs. Thats just the way it works. If I've assumed wrong my apologies.

spam firewall