Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

If Dish cuts off my Gannet station(s) Sun I will...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: If Dish cuts off my Gannet station(s) Sun I will... (48 member(s) have cast votes)

If Dish cuts off my Gannet station(s) Sun I will...

1. Gannet and Dish need to work out a solution for everyone’s benefit (8 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Pay whatever it takes to receive my Gannet stations on Dish (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I just assume receive my networks OTA, non-issue for me (30 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

4. Leave Dish (10 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Please no thread replies here, this is a poll. Post your commentary in Nick's Post, Gannett Hopping Mad Over 'Hopper' -- Set to Pull Stations From Dish Oct. 7 Because this is not a sticky and only thread replies bump this thread I will bump it once daily until either Gannet & Dish resolve the dispute by Sun, this poll expires on Wed or a moderator ups this poll to sticky.

Edited by Marcus S, 06 October 2012 - 11:37 AM.

VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

I have a Hopper. How come there's no option for "deal with it?" Cause I'm not leaving DISH over this.

#3 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:23 AM

Lame poll is lame, needs more options.

#4 OFFLINE   David085

David085

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:25 AM

Poll doesn't have much choices it needs more damn!

#5 OFFLINE   David085

David085

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

I don't have dish network yet but they're going to come on Tuesday around in the morning through 12 pm time frame, can't wait to see if I will like it.

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:36 AM

Thread title is flawed.

Dish will not cut any stations off. If they go away, it will be because Gannett pulled them.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

What does "I just assume receive" mean?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

What does "I just assume receive" mean?

I assume that should say "I'd just as soon ... "
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#9 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

^My best guess at it as well.

#10 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:32 AM

i am not leaving
dish has been good to me (free PPV coupons,free premium channels)

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

The options could be stated better ... and I agree, discussion of the underlying issue MUST be in the other thread.

Perhaps better options would have been:
1) Go without the stations - even if they do not return I'll stay with DISH
2) Watch via OTA and not change carriers
3) Wait a while and consider changing carriers if it takes too long to reach a deal
4) Immediately find another carrier

#12 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

The world can never be perfect because regardless of the poll question wording, as we have seen for over 16 years, no one will like them unless they are worded to address their specific gripe. The options provided "are" suffcient to answer the question. "I will leave Dish because Gannet blacks out my channels over auto hop", "I will leave Dish if the Gannet deal raises my cost", "I was already thinking of leaving Dish because of AMC and now this", and the infamous "Your wording is not grammaticaly correct" are either speculative or an opinion by one individual.
VIP922, 1000.4 Western Arc Dish, Ronard Ultra Duty 3 Foot Satellite Tripod, RG6 Quad Thomas & Betts fittings. Samsung 55" 7100 LED, Sony PS3, Sunfire TGA-5400 Amp, Sunfire TGP-5 Preamp, Magnepan MG 3.6 front, Boston Acoustic CR8's rear, Thiel SmartSub SS1. CyberPower CP1350 UPS. Cisco E4200 Network.

#13 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

Thread title is flawed.

Dish will not cut any stations off. If they go away, it will be because Gannett pulled them.

Exactly Dish is not dropping anything. It is being taken away by the content provider.

#14 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Is the result any different? "Your grammar or wording complaints" do not change the outcome and only attempt to discourage others from participating by pissing on the fire hydrant?

Edited by Marcus S, 06 October 2012 - 06:12 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

My objection to the wording is based on what consumers can actually do. "Gannet and Dish need to work out a solution for everyone’s benefit" is an opinion, not an action or decision not to act (to wait it out). "Pay whatever it takes to receive my Gannet stations on Dish" is not an option individual subscribers have or DISH can offer. (DISH cannot offer a local market as $5 for most ;ocal channels, $10 for local channels including Gannet.)

With respect, half of your options are not available. :)

When I read "If Dish cuts off my Gannet station(s) Sun I will..." I expect options that I could actually do. Stay forever, stay and give them time, watch OTA and leave immediately are options subscribers actually have.

#16 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Is the result any different? "Your grammar or wording complaints" do not change the outcome and only attempt to discourage others from participating by pissing on the fire hydrant?

All I expect is accuracy about the subject in the "grammar and wording".

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,289 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

I think we all get the gist of what Marcus is asking, lets stop piling on. Incidentally, when someone says, "with all due respect...", I don't expect any respect from that point forward. :lol:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Why not create a poll that is more generalized? Like: If one of my local stations disappeared from Dish, I would ...

For me, I would just receive it OTA from DC (I get Baltimore locals via Dish, but can also receive DC, central PA and Philadelphia locals OTA). That way, I get guide data and get to stick it to the stupid station that wouldn't agree to reasonable terms.

I wish Dish would bring back the option to drop locals and save $5/month (but still provide guide data).
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#19 OFFLINE   Marcus S

Marcus S

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

There are no points being made here; posting over 100 variations of the question will not change the fact that 1) Gannet stations will still be here Sun. 2) Gannet stations will be gone on Sun. To say Gannet and Dish negotiating a resolution is speculation is ludicrous. To ask for an option, "If Gannet blacks out my stations on Dish I will sue my ex wife over the alimony” is ridiculous.

Please vote to the best of your ability or do not participate in this poll. Please welcome our new members from Gannet and Denver 9/20 watching this ironically (speculation - everyones favorite term). I sorted the newbe member list by latest, wow explosion membership Oct, talk is now the iPhone 5!

Edited by Marcus S, 07 October 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

While OTA is not an option for me (house is in a lousy location and too far from the transmission towers), it IS a non-issue for me since there is virtually nothing on those two channels in the Atlanta area (that will go dark) that I watch. I really won't miss Sunday Night football on NBC very much. Hope a deal can be worked out within the next few weeks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...