Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

$231 to move service?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Called to move service...anyway to lower the price? Have had D for a year in February. Infact, they couldn't offer anything, at all. I'm willing to pay some to move, but not over $120.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Called to move service...anyway to lower the price? Have had D for a year in February. Infact, they couldn't offer anything, at all. I'm willing to pay some to move, but not over $120.

Hmm, that is odd. I didn't pay a thing to move my service. In fact I got a couple of receiver upgrades at the same time for free. Seems like I did pay something for adding the whole house and cinema connection, but wasn't much.

#3 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

you haven't D long enough to qualify i think you need D for a year before they can offer you free or a deal

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Right, the movers connection is free once you have been with DirecTV for over 12 months
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Did you call the special DirecTV Movers number 1.888.DTV.MOVE?

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

Are you changing any equipment ? What were those charges for ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

I figured it was because I have had it less than a year, I asked why/ what the charges were for and they said that it costs over $500 for an install, and are only asking me for a small portion of that. I asked if it was specifically because I have had it less than a year but they wouldnt tell me.

I did call the special number and also the regular number but they were the same thing. I had to suspend the account because I can't pay that much/ I believe it's unreasonable.

Do they consider you a customer when you are suspended? If they did, I could wait 3 months and get it free...but I dont think that would work. Anything I can do?

#8 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

And no equipment changes. And I even have the dish and wiring, so I wouldn't want to pay for those things. Maybe an independent contractor

#9 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

Do they consider you a customer when you are suspended? If they did, I could wait 3 months and get it free...but I dont think that would work. Anything I can do?

It's my understanding that when an account is suspended, that time does not count toward your contract term. Therefore, suspending your service won't help you on gaining time towards using the mover's connection or lowering your early termination fee (if you decide to cancel service).

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

And no equipment changes. And I even have the dish and wiring, so I wouldn't want to pay for those things. Maybe an independent contractor

Get a quote from an independent contractor and compare.

#11 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 563 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Get a quote from an independent contractor and compare.

Or, if you've got the skills, mount the dish (where you know there is LOS) and do the wiring yourself and then just have either a local independent contractor or D* come out and aim the dish. That should be cheaper.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

Aren't we approaching sun fade season? Might make things easier to get in the general area.

#13 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

I could probably do it, but I live in my fiancées grandfathers apartment building...and he doesn't trust me to do it. And it's not like I'm familiar with it and can be positive I can do it properly, so I can't convince him.

Do is just do a search for directv installers? Anybody on here in the Boston area?

#14 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

yeah 12 months for a free movers
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#15 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

$231 is kind of steep cuz.

You got any magic dust?;)
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

I can't find the one year requirement everyone quotes on the Mover's page, unless it falls under the "Qualifications based on tenure, package level, payment history and other factors", which doesn't specifically state you have to be a customer for one year.

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

That's what it falls under, tenure. They don't specifically define it in the conditions on the page.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

I can't find the one year requirement everyone quotes on the Mover's page, unless it falls under the "Qualifications based on tenure, package level, payment history and other factors", which doesn't specifically state you have to be a customer for one year.

you left out the first sentence

DIRECTV MOVERS DEAL: Offer expires on 11/21/12. Offer available once in any 12 month period for qualifying customers only. Qualifications based on tenure, package level, payment history and other factors. Sports blackouts and your ability to receive local channels or broadcast networks may be affected by new address. Residential customers only. Offer requires a program agreement of 12 months or 24 months if you took an Advanced Receivers equipment upgrade (HD, DVR, or HD DVR) of any DIRECTV base programming package (priced at $29.99/mo. or above), or any international service bundle. If you have two boxes or one box and an enabled TV, an additional $6/mo. fee applies. For each additional box and/or enabled TV on your account you are charged an additional fee of $6/mo. per box and/or enabled TV. Applicable use tax adjustment may apply on the retail value of installation.
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

I consider that a different condition, that you can't use the mover's connection twice in a 12 month span.

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

You mean the "Once in any 12 month period" portion? If it said you can use Movers once after 12 months of service, I'd agree. But is says during ANY 12 month period. In the case of the OP, he wants to use it during his first 12 months.

I also don't see where using the Movers is free. You can get a bunch of free upgrades (HD DVR, 3 months of some movie channels, free MRV and possibly ST), but nothing says the actual install will be free.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...