Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

$231 to move service?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

I don't think it actually says you can have 1 free install per year...however I believe that is how it works, after a year you can get a free install and the initial is free. BUT-it doesn't actually say that or clearly define it.

And I agree-I'd rather pay the ETF and get something else. And the last time I called, when I got the $149, I asked why it was lower and the answer I got was "Whatever I see on the computer is the price I'm giving you" basically, the CSR has nothing to do with it, they're only telling me what they see on the computer screen.

I understand that this stuff is not always free. I know the dish costs money, the installer needs to get paid, I understand it's not like cable, (some idiot comes and hooks up your receivers and thats about it) its D*-it needs to be installed, which is why I'm happy and willing to pay for an install-but not over $120.

When I first got D* my landlord complained that the dish was "too low" and wanted it moved up. He's never had satellite and didn't get it, they won't just come out for free a bunch of times and move it. I get it, but that was going to cost me $50. OK, so a move should be $100.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Papa J

Papa J

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

When you consider the cost of a new dish, wiring, installation, miscellaneous parts and the cost to roll a truck, $149 may be reasonable. I don't think we as customers, should just pick a price out of the blue and say that is what it should cost. Directv should be able to quote what they consider reasonable. Newbies already get super deals that existing customers pay for. Why should Directv turn around and lose money on a second install in less than a year?

#43 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

Finally got sick of no TV and caved in...$129 incl taxes/fees. Not the best "deal" and I probably could have hassled them more, I was really hoping for a $99 install, but at $129 I just wanted to get it done. No free equipment or packages or movie channels...but I guess $129 is pretty reasonable.

Just a quick question...before when I suspended my account, they said I was going to lose all of my credits, so I asked the CSR but I didn't really understand what they were talking about...am I losing my credits or...?

#44 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

The credits are the deductions on your bill that reduce the list price of the services to the "deals" they offer. Suspending may have messed that up, I don't know.

Two years ago I signed up as a new customer (I had been a customer some time before, but went with cable until D* got local stations in HD). After 6 1/2 months on contract, I moved to our seasonal residence, bringing my two recevers with me. and called the movers connection. Because I was a customer less than a year, they charged me $80, which was a bargain, given the installer's time and equipment. I got a new dish, SWM-5 LNB, spliitters, Power inserter and Cinema connection kit, and the installer was there for three hours, mostly dealing with DirecTV reps on the phone. Since then, as I move about every six months between the two homes, I just conect my receivers, and call the CSR to have them update the service address, so I can get local stations.

The Avatar is my curious neighborhood Otter.
My setup

#45 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

Called to move service...anyway to lower the price? Have had D for a year in February. Infact, they couldn't offer anything, at all. I'm willing to pay some to move, but not over $120.

Say cancel twice at the prompt and when the retention rep answers say your moving and need to cancel because your undecided on what provider you'll use at the new home. They'll give you a deal to stay.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#46 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Say cancel twice at the prompt and when the retention rep answers say your moving and need to cancel because your undecided on what provider you'll use at the new home. They'll give you a deal to stay.

Yeah that doesnt work so well anymore
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#47 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

The credits are the deductions on your bill that reduce the list price of the services to the "deals" they offer. Suspending may have messed that up, I don't know.

Two years ago I signed up as a new customer (I had been a customer some time before, but went with cable until D* got local stations in HD). After 6 1/2 months on contract, I moved to our seasonal residence, bringing my two recevers with me. and called the movers connection. Because I was a customer less than a year, they charged me $80, which was a bargain, given the installer's time and equipment. I got a new dish, SWM-5 LNB, spliitters, Power inserter and Cinema connection kit, and the installer was there for three hours, mostly dealing with DirecTV reps on the phone. Since then, as I move about every six months between the two homes, I just conect my receivers, and call the CSR to have them update the service address, so I can get local stations.

If I recall right credits and the such do not stop counting down when you suspend the account, s yes it would mess it up

Protected By... spam firewall...And...