Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

help switching to swm

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   frankiev07

frankiev07

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:43 AM

currently have a slimline dish with 4 wires running to a zen 8 way multi switch which splits off to the rest of the house. Want to get whole home dvr up and going, what would be the simplest and best setup. Have an hr21, h21, and h24, the h24 has convenient access to my router so keep that in mind for adding internet via coax with a decca device. There is convenient access to power at the current non swm multi switch in attic. Want to do this myself to save money if I can. Some opinions and recommendations on needed equipment would be very helpful.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Two choices:
1: Replace the multiswitch with a SWM8 multiswitch and power inserter
or
2: Replace the LNB with a SWM LNB, and replace the multiswitch with a 4 way splitter and power inserter.

Add a CCK for internet access using a 2 way splitter behind the H24
Note: Will need to remove all BBC's from the back of the units.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   frankiev07

frankiev07

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

Wouldn't I still need a 4 way splitter after the new SWM and PI? The power from the ckk wont eliminate the PI needed at the SWM would it? The hr21 and h21 would need those little network adapter modules case they don't have deca built in like the h24 right?

Edited by frankiev07, 06 October 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

With an SWM8 multiswitch, yes, you would still need a splitter. (its early for me, sorry. multiswitch only has one output).
Yes, you would need a deca module on each receiver except the H24

Veryoldschool has some excellent drawings in the connected home forum showing the various setups.
Its been a long time since I set up a non-Hx24 or higher. Im not sure if you HAVE to have a DECA module on the lower numbered units for satellite only, or if you just need them to connect that box to the internet and whole home access. I am thinking they work for satellite without the DECA module, but I could be wrong, and have no way to check right now.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   frankiev07

frankiev07

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

This is what I think I need to do...
Posted Image

Or would replacing the lnb I have with a smw lnb and power inserter to a splitter be better than what I have illustrated?

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Cant open your link... There would be less chance of your dish becoming misaligned by replacing the multiswitch with an SWM8, however, the SWMLNB is a cheaper solution.

#7 OFFLINE   frankiev07

frankiev07

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

Cant open your link...

FIXED, sorry haven't used paint or photobucket in ages

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

What is the red "power" stuff? The black stuff looks perfect. Just add a Deca module on the two Non-24 boxes, and you are good.

#9 OFFLINE   frankiev07

frankiev07

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

Red is just power like plugging into an outlet for power, wasn't really needed in the diagram but I drew it for some reason lol. Is there a more reliable or simpler better way as far as the SWM stuff goes than I have illustrated? Does this leave any room for adding boxes in the future or would I need a bigger splitter somewhere?

#10 OFFLINE   steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationNj/pa border

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

deca%20setup.JPG
HR34-700 with a AM 21 OTA Tuner Hooked to a Sony HD3D 60" TV ( KDL-60EX720)
With 3 C31 Clients an using a Cisco E4200 V2 wireless router for APPS and Youtube
Hooked to a OTA Channel Master Roof mount 100 mile range antenna with a rotor.
To watch (Philly @ WilkesBarre PA. Locals)
Directv locals are NYC

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Red is just power like plugging into an outlet for power, wasn't really needed in the diagram but I drew it for some reason lol. Is there a more reliable or simpler better way as far as the SWM stuff goes than I have illustrated? Does this leave any room for adding boxes in the future or would I need a bigger splitter somewhere?

You can always replace the 4-way (which currently will still have one spare outlet) with an 8 way if you need to. The thing to remember with SWM, is you have 8 channels. Each tuner uses one channel. So for an HR34 you would use 5 channels.
HR2x you would use 2 channels
H2x would use 1 channel.

If you go over 8 channels, you will need a STANDARD LNB and an SWM16 multiswitch. So using an SWM8 with your current LNB would offer more expansion options in the future than an SWMLNB, which will always be limited to 8 tuners.

#12 OFFLINE   frankiev07

frankiev07

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Any advantages to running the power inserter on the swm1/power port of the SWM8 and the splitter through the swm2 port on the SWM8? Or should the power inserter be ran inline between the splitter and SWM8? Will one of those white deca adapter things I need on the back of the hr21 and h21 work in place of the ckk?

Edited by frankiev07, 06 October 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

Just a couple of thoughts here. Each SWM unit handles 8 channels which equates to 8 tuners. Each DVR has 2 tuners and each receiver has 1. Your current configuration has 5 tuners so you are good with a SWM-8. As noted you have two options, get a SWM-8 switch or replace your LNB with a SWM LNB. If you do the research you will find that the SWM LNB will always be less expensive than a separate SWM-8. But, if you wanted to do this yourself and are concerned about touching the dish, you could certainly leave the dish alone and run 4 wires from your current LNB to a SWM-8 box and just put it under the eaves. You then just run 1 wire to the splitter and follow your diagram for most of the wiring.

I would also suggest one change to your diagram. It is better to run the coax from your CCK back to the open port on your 4-way splitter rather than inject another splitter into the coax to your HR24. And if you get the wireless CCK it has a pass-through coax connection that you could just insert in the line where you show your 2-way splitter. And, if you are into MRV you need DECAs on the H21 and HR21.

As for the future, you really need to look to your viewing habits and determine how many simultaneous feeds and recording channels you need. Your current configuration allows for 3 simultaneous feeds (3 receivers) and two separate recording channels. You could cover that with an HR34 and two C-31s. You could have that configuration and keep your HR24 and still only have 7 tuners which would be covered by a SWM8 configuration. So, it is really difficult to try to plan too far ahead since D*'s technology is a real moving target and what limitations you see today may not be there in the future. What I trying to say here is don't get too excited about spending a bunch of money on a SWM-16 unless you really need that capability today.

Just my thoughts.

#14 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

Any advantages to running the power inserter on the swm1/power port of the SWM8 and the splitter through the swm2 port on the SWM8? Or should the power inserter be ran inline between the splitter and SWM8? Will one of those white deca adapter things I need on the back of the hr21 and h21 work in place of the ckk?

If too close to a receiver, the power inserter can cause some issues. It doesn't really matter where you put the PI, but if you want to isolate it you can plug it directly into the legacy 3 port.

I would also suggest one change to your diagram. It is better to run the coax from your CCK back to the open port on your 4-way splitter rather than inject another splitter into the coax to your HR24. And if you get the wireless CCK it has a pass-through coax connection that you could just insert in the line where you show your 2-way splitter. And, if you are into MRV you need DECAs on the H21 and HR21.

The WiFi DECA just has the splitter built in, the loss is about the same as using a 2way with a normal CCK.

Edited by dielray, 07 October 2012 - 06:29 AM.

DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#15 OFFLINE   frankiev07

frankiev07

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

So this little device that goes on the back of the hr21 and h21 is this thing...http://www.solidsign...CA--(DECA1MR01)

Im still unsure if I can use one of these in place of the ckk?

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

So this little device that goes on the back of the hr21 and h21 is this thing...http://www.solidsign...CA--(DECA1MR01)

Im still unsure if I can use one of these in place of the ckk?

Yes, you can... Just remember if using one of these as a stand alone DECA to router bridge, you will need a power supply for it. It normally gets power from the receiver its attached to.

This is how I have my system set up. I am using one of those DECA modules between my splitter and my router. It used to be the way it was installed by DirecTv until they released the CCK. Power inserter for the DECA module is on the left. Router cable on left, Coax jumper to splitter on the right.

Attached Thumbnails

• WP_000482.jpg

#17 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,159 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Yes, you can... Just remember if using one of these as a stand alone DECA to router bridge, you will need a power supply for it. It normally gets power from the receiver its attached to.

This is how I have my system set up. I am using one of those DECA modules between my splitter and my router. It used to be the way it was installed by DirecTv until they released the CCK. Power inserter for the DECA module is on the left. Router cable on left, Coax jumper to splitter on the right.

What's with that black mark on the DECA's pigtail? While I'm sure its not, it does look like its burned there.

And ironically DIRECTV has reverted back to the receiver DECA-PI combo idea for the CCK using the DECA II nowadays.

http://www.dbstalk.c...54&d=1341827331

#18 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

What's with that black mark on the DECA's pigtail? While I'm sure its not, it does look like its burned there.

Tar from when I cut out the sheetrock to install support studs for the 60" wall mounted TV on the other side of the closet. The old studs had some tar on them from something.

#19 OFFLINE   frankiev07

frankiev07

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

What are gonna be my playback/recording options with whole home dvr with my current equipment? Will adding this service to my account renew the contract?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...