Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FCC: Section 616 of the Communications Act

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

If I were the attorney for the PAC-12 network (which I'm not), I would advise the following:

1. Heed to DirecTV's supposed claims of tier reduced placement of the channel.

2. Once the channel is carried in the desired tier (e.g., Sports Tier) file a suit with the FCC under the provisions of Section 616 of the Communications Act alleging discrimination sighting the Big Ten Network placement.

3. Bring up the Tennis Channel ruling against Comcast that was recently ruled upon by the FCC earlier this year siding with the Tennis Channel, forcing equitable placement.

4. DirecTV would either have to move the PAC-12 network to the same tier as the Big Ten Network OR move the Big Ten network (and any other "similar" sports channel) to the sports tier.

Let's see how truthful DirecTV really is their pledge and "desire" to carry this channel at a "reasonable" tier, as they claim.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

If I were the attorney for the PAC-12 network (which I'm not), I would advise the following:

1. Heed to DirecTV's supposed claims of tier reduced placement of the channel.

2. Once the channel is carried in the desired tier (e.g., Sports Tier) file a suit with the FCC under the provisions of Section 616 of the Communications Act alleging discrimination sighting the Big Ten Network placement.

3. Bring up the Tennis Channel ruling against Comcast that was recently ruled upon by the FCC earlier this year siding with the Tennis Channel, forcing equitable placement.

4. DirecTV would either have to move the PAC-12 network to the same tier as the Big Ten Network OR move the Big Ten network (and any other "similar" sports channel) to the sports tier.

Let's see how truthful DirecTV really is their pledge and "desire" to carry this channel at a "reasonable" tier, as they claim.

well maybe they can move big ten like to sports (out of big ten area and choice in big ten area) like how pac12 and big ten are set up on dish.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

well maybe they can move big ten like to sports (out of big ten area and choice in big ten area) like how pac12 and big ten are set up on dish.

That's DirecTV's biggest problem. IF they signed the PAC-12 network to the sports tier and the network files suit with the FCC, DirecTV would be forced to move the PAC-12 network to an equivalent tier, unless they're willing to breach their contract with the Big Ten network by moving them. The Big Ten would promptly file suit against DirecTV and probably win.

That's why I believe DirecTV is being disingenuous with their statement regarding the PAC-12 network. The PAC-12 network would have been wise to concede to DirecTV's alleged claim from the start IMO. That's also why I believe this channel will never be carried on DirecTV; DirecTV's statements are stalling ploys.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...