Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Move Recordings from Old Receiver to New Receiver

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmunick1

jmunick1

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has a way to transfer recordings from HD DVRs to other HD DVRs. I have a legacy setup with two HR20-700s and one HR22-100 and I would like to upgrade to the HMC with the RVU clients. However I have several saved recordings on my other DVRs I would like to transfer to the HMC.

Is this possible? Perhaps by using an external drive? Is there a way to access the command line of the DVRs and transfer with FTP for example?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Unfortunately not. Even if they were already on an external, they wouldn't be playable, except maybe something recorded OTA from an AM21 or HR20 OTA tuner.

#3 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has a way to transfer recordings from HD DVRs to other HD DVRs. I have a legacy setup with two HR20-700s and one HR22-100 and I would like to upgrade to the HMC with the RVU clients. However I have several saved recordings on my other DVRs I would like to transfer to the HMC.

Is this possible? Perhaps by using an external drive? Is there a way to access the command line of the DVRs and transfer with FTP for example?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you were going to clone the drive and put it in the same receiver this can be done without too much of a problem. If you want to use the cloned drive in another DVR it is not going to happen because the recordings are encrypted to the DVR they were made on. If I remember correctly the drives on the HR20 and HR22 are fairly small so there would not be too much to copy. I bought a Magnavox combination DVD recorder/VCR from Wally World to accomplish this. This is fairly easy to hook up and do with one caveat. Some premium content is copy protected and is not copied easily. You might be able to get around this using composite, component, or S video cables instead of a HDMI cable, I haven't tried that yet. One other thing, I have in my Mac Pro tower a Black Magic video/audio capture card that will do this too.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

As dpeters said, the only recordings that can be played on another dvr that they werent recorded on are the OTA recordings from an HR20 or one of the newer receivers mated with an AM21, and thats only because the OTA recordings arent encrypted.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...