Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FEATURE REQUEST: Option on timer event to set HD or SD recording

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MM-etech

MM-etech

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 11:40 AM

The recording mode (HD/SD) of recordings is driven by the mode of the receiver, so if you use coax for a second TV, you have to switch to SD and as the result, all of your recording will be in SD. This functionallity should be set for each timer event separatly regardless of what mode the receiver is displaying current programs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   David_Levin

David_Levin

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 12:01 PM

Wow, that's bizarre. I thought the sat stream is directly recorded (without modification).

So, it'll downconvert an HD channel and record it?

Yes, that should be a selectable option !!!

#3 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:30 PM

Ack. Haven't checked the disk space used by recordings so far, but... I can only hope that it is the case that if you record a program from a regular SD channel (say normal HBO, not HBO-HD), that the program records at the correct resolution and uses the correct (SD) amount of disk space, rather than the hefty HD amount of space, even if the receiver is in HD mode (with the blue light on)??

Meaning please tell me this bug is only in one direction... If it's in both directions (HD material can get saved as SD, and SD can get saved as HD), then this is another showstopper type bug!

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 01:55 PM

I don't believe this is true. The satellite stream is first recorded to disk, and all upconversion/downconversion is done when the stream is played back from disk. SD, HD, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 16x9, 4x3#1, 4x3#2 are all display options, not recording options.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   MM-etech

MM-etech

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:22 AM

I don't believe this is true. The satellite stream is first recorded to disk, and all upconversion/downconversion is done when the stream is played back from disk. SD, HD, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 16x9, 4x3#1, 4x3#2 are all display options, not recording options.

I will double check on this tonight.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...