Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish and Comcast Internet on same Coaxial Cable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Austinme

Austinme

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

Recently I had the Disk Network Hopper and 3 Joeys installed at my house. The joey in my computer room shares a cable with my Comcast cable internet service. I never had a problem running my satellite tv and cable internet through the same coaxial cable until now. Prior to switching to Disk Network, I had Directv and it worked fine sharing a coaxial cable with my Comcast cable internet. I had a 5/2150 2-way splitter combining the signals at the junction box on the outside of my home and another 5/2150 2-way splitter separating it at the outlet in my computer room.

The Disk Network technician tried this same hook up using 2 Holland 5/2150 HFS-2D splitters and it does not work. The satellite signal comes through fine, but the cable internet will not work. When I connect it with using the old splitters that worked when I had Directv, which is an Aska 5-2150 Diplexer on the combining end and a Holland DPD2 5-2150 on the splitter end, the Comcast internet signal comes through fine, but the satellite does not work.

I would really like to run the satellite and cable internet through the same coaxial cable. Do I need a special signal combiner/splitter?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

If this is not the proper forum for this post, please let me know.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

#1 - get separate cables for the Comcast Internet and your Dish. Sharing cables is a surefire entry into fingerpointing between providers.

#2 - You have to use Diplexers in PAIRS. However - I don't know what frequencies the Joey is using, so again - go back to separate cables. They may very well be using the same band. If you didn't have the Hopper / Joey setup - then your old DirecTV setup using the diplexers would have worked.

#3 - There maybe some other network technology (ethernet, wifi ?) to connect your Joey to the Hopper, and leave the coax cable for the cable modem..
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

Most Hopper/Joey setups are not designed for coax to work with other providers due to the number of frequencies they need to use. A separate run for your internet is the best possible solution.

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

You cannot combine them at all. The Hopper requires the entirety of the cable's bandwidth.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...