Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Neighboring Locals on D*?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

I did a search but found only locked threads on this from almost 5 years ago. Does anyone know if Neighboring locals are available yet on D*?

I could put up an AM21, but that would really only serve the main unit. The problem in my DMA is that it's served by Syracuse over 40 miles away where as as our local stations and coverage come from Utica which is less than 20 miles away. Time Warner Cable currently gives us both, but I'm growing tired of the garbage DVR. I know D* offers both citied, so why can't they just open them up for me?
BAN the FCC!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

The legally probably could, but mostly dont. Might have to do with paying the stations in the second city more money they would not recover from you.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

If the other city has what is classified as significantly viewed TV channels for your area, it is possible for Satellite to provide them, but they are not obliged to. Also Cable rules are different than Satellite.

#4 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:32 AM

The D* rep I chatted with confirmed I'm SOL and they will only provide my assigned DMA which doesn't cover squat locally. So, I can go OTA, but next question is can I di-plex OTA onto a SWM line so each of 6 outlets gets the locals? I want to go with an HR-34 and HD reciever at each outlet. No need for DECA as I have an existing network in place and running second coax to each location is almost out of the question.
BAN the FCC!

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

The D* rep I chatted with confirmed I'm SOL and they will only provide my assigned DMA which doesn't cover squat locally. So, I can go OTA, but next question is can I di-plex OTA onto a SWM line so each of 6 outlets gets the locals? I want to go with an HR-34 and HD reciever at each outlet. No need for DECA as I have an existing network in place and running second coax to each location is almost out of the question.

You wouldn't need a second coax for DECA, it runs in the same coax that comes from the SWM.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:28 AM

You wouldn't need a second coax for DECA, it runs in the same coax that comes from the SWM.

Not what I was stating. I wouldn't need DECA on the coax because the network is in place already. I was asking if I could di-plex OTA onto a SWM feed and split it at the IRD.
BAN the FCC!

#7 OFFLINE   cyfman

cyfman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:00 AM

I'm kind of the same boat.My "locals" are from DFW about 90 miles away. Yet Tyler Tx which is about 35 miles away and D carries their channels but I cant get them because I live to far away from Tyler to receive them.

I've called D a couple of times but there is nothing they can do to help.

So silly and confusing.

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:35 AM

I was asking if I could di-plex OTA onto a SWM feed and split it at the IRD.

I believe the answer to that is "no". But you can record two OTA channels at once on your 34 and play those back on your receivers.

#9 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

Not what I was stating. I wouldn't need DECA on the coax because the network is in place already. I was asking if I could di-plex OTA onto a SWM feed and split it at the IRD.

Yes and no.

If DECA is completely removed from the coax diplexers specifically used with SWM would allow OTA to coexist on the coax.

But... A technician would not touch this, you would be on your own. The HD receivers you would likely receive do not have Ethernet ports and rely solely on DECA for their networking.

A better more supported option would be to have just the DVR connected to OTA and use MRV to watch recordings off it. This would require a 2nd line to the DVR location.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#10 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

Here is the directv local page for SV channels.
http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200076

Edited by jamieh1, 08 October 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:19 AM

You could choose a address in the market you want to receive, and use it as your service address.

also here is the directv local page for SV channels.
http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200076

That is completely against the TOS and should not be brought up here.

The OP can blame Nielson for the DMA boundaries. It doesnt matter if you are 10 feet away from another city with locals, DMA boundaries are not controlled by the providers so you get the locals that the boundaries say you should get.

#12 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:47 AM

I have diplex ota with my system using a SWM 8, which has an input port for the ota antenna. This is the most convenient way to accomplish ota diplex. My MRV is unsupported via ethernet so no deca conflict exists.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#13 OFFLINE   gcd0865

gcd0865

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

The new HR34 main receiver, when combined with the separately-purchased $50 AM21N OTA receiver, is able to send OTA stations from the AM21N (along with satellite-delivered stations received by the HR34) to other household tv's that are connected using the new C31 client boxes (just coming out now). This is because the C31 client boxes do not have their own built-in satellite tuner (such as when using an H25 receiver at remote tv's), so they instead share the 5 satellite tuners from a single main HR34 (along with anything provided to the HR34 from an attached AM21N). In addition, when an AM21N OTA receiver is used with an HR34 main receiver, the new HR34 allows the AM21N to scan for any additional received local OTA stations that do not happen to be included in DirecTV's/Tribune's master list of receivable OTA stations (which would previously prohibit the AM21N + earlier main receiver combination from receiving them). Using this setup would allow you to view all locally-available OTA stations at all household tv's.

#14 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Using this setup would allow you to view all locally-available OTA stations at all household tv's.

The AM21/AM21N is a two-tuner device... so technically, it would only allow one to watch all locally available OTA stations at all household TVs if one only has two TVs...

It may be possible if everyone's viewing the same channel... I've never attempted to see if that's possible...

~Alan

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,353 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

Not what I was stating. I wouldn't need DECA on the coax because the network is in place already.

The latest DIRECTV client equipment (H25, C31) doesn't support conventional Ethernet so that may not be the solution you thought it was. By decree, all new HD setups are DECA and Internet (if available) enabled.

I was asking if I could di-plex OTA onto a SWM feed and split it at the IRD.

This may be possible, but as pointed out above, DIRECTV isn't going to set it up that way. I'm still not sure how the SWiM communications channel down at 2.3MHz is reconciled in a diplexed SWiM setup. A 771a error may result.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   razorbackfan

razorbackfan

Godfather

• Registered
  • 338 posts
  • LocationRidgway, Colorado

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Same problem here. My "locals" are from Denver, 400 miles away, that completely ignores my area when it comes to news and weather. Yet, the closest networks, 30 miles away, I am not permitted to watch. Can't do OTA due to terrain. Just really stupid.

#17 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,319 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

If the other city has what is classified as significantly viewed TV channels for your area, it is possible for Satellite to provide them, but they are not obliged to. Also Cable rules are different than Satellite.

In my zip code we are part of the Joplin/Pittsburg DMA market but DirecTV is nice enough to offer me 2 of the Tulsa DMA local channels at no additional cost to me. The two they offer from another DMA are 2 of 3 considered significantly viewed (CBS & ABC). It is very nice getting some locals from Tulsa as they are the only local channels I get from the state I live in. The Joplin/Pittsburg DMA is in Kansas and Missouri but I live in Oklahoma. While Tulsa is in state, it is not closer to me then my own DMA.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#18 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

The latest DIRECTV client equipment (H25, C31) doesn't support conventional Ethernet so that may not be the solution you thought it was. By decree, all new HD setups are DECA and Internet (if available) enabled.This may be possible, but as pointed out above, DIRECTV isn't going to set it up that way. I'm still not sure how the SWiM communications channel down at 2.3MHz is reconciled in a diplexed SWiM setup. A 771a error may result.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought the HR-34 (Genie) had an Ethernet jack on the back? My switch is right there with my other gear, so I was simply going to plug into that. I could run a single OTA line over to the wall since the Genie streams OTA to the clients.
BAN the FCC!

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I thought the HR-34 (Genie) had an Ethernet jack on the back?

It does and when you connect to it, it doesn't disable the coax networking like the other receivers do.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Ok, so it's using MoCa to distribute content to the C-31's. I just wouldn't need a DECA adapter to feed the Ethernet port since I have a switch right there. I follow you now.
BAN the FCC!

spam firewall