Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

C31 vs HR24

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   unislick

unislick

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

Installation scheduled for Friday. Install HR34, HR24, and 2 C31's.

Looking for recommendations on which TVs to place each piece of equipment. Plan to put HR34 in main living room where most TV is watched. Plan to put HR24 in main bedroom (second most used TV). Any pros/cons putting an HR24 in the bedroom vs a C31? Trying to consider response time, receiver noise, capabilities, etc.....other locations are in basement (infrequent viewing).

Thoughts.

Thanks

Edited by unislick, 07 October 2012 - 05:50 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

Installation scheduled for Friday. Install HR34, HR24, and 2 C31's.

Looking for recommendations on which TVs to place each piece of equipment. Plan to put HR34 in main living room where most TV is watched. Plan to put HR24 in main bedroom (second most used TV). Any pros/cons putting an HR24 in the bedroom vs a C31? Trying to consider response time, receiver noise, etc.....other locations are in basement (infrequent viewing).

Thoughts.

Thanks

I think the C31 is a disappointment. It robs a tuner from the HR34, has no disk space of its own, can only see the HR34 and its playlist, and will not see the the other HR DVRs. I know the C31 will do so called "trick play" but you can duplicate that on any of the other DVRs by pressing the record button on the remote.

#3 OFFLINE   unislick

unislick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

I have been told the C31 can access recordings from both the HR34 and the HR24? The whole reason why I am getting another DVR.

Has anyone had success accessing multiple DVR recordings from the C31?

Side note...pressing record doesn't enable you to rewind live TV.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

I think the C31 is a disappointment. It robs a tuner from the HR34, has no disk space of its own, can only see the HR34 and its playlist, and will not see the the other HR DVRs. I know the C31 will do so called "trick play" but you can duplicate that on any of the other DVRs by pressing the record button on the remote.

You are wrong in one aspect: My C31 sees and plays recordings from my HR24 too.
I have yet to find I don't have a tuner available to use my C31.
Yes it does use a tuner from the HR34, but that means I don't have to do anything ahead of time to "simply pause" live TV, so for me the C31 is merely a remote extension of my HR34.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

I have been told the C31 can access recordings from both the HR34 and the HR24? The whole reason why I am getting another DVR.

Has anyone had success accessing multiple DVR recordings from the C31?

Side note...pressing record doesn't enable you to rewind live TV.

I have read differently. I am not sure what exactly the purpose of the C31 is for the consumer other than to rob a tuner from a HR34 and use its disk space. I know the purpose for Directv. It is cheaper to manufacture because it lacks tuners and a hard drive. Getting another DVR seems a lot better deal to me. It is beyond me why anybody would want to give up a tuner and disk space. I am looking into adding a RAID box to my HR34 and putting a couple of 3 or 4 TB drives in it to get even more disk space and a backup.

Think about what you just said on rewinding live TV. If I have it recorded I can do anything I want with it. Your comment is assuming I didn't start the recording before the program began. How do you think the Dish Hopper is doing its tricks on network TV? It can do that because it is always recording network stations in the background.

BTW, the C31 isn't officially out yet, although there is someone selling them on eBay. Directv is "supposed" to release it sometime this week. So nobody can really answer your question as to whether a C31 will see DVRs other than a HR34. And LOL, my advise on any info from a Directv CSR based on experience is to "trust but verify".

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:26 PM

I have read differently. I am not sure what [I'm talking about as I don't have one]
BTW, the C31 isn't officially out yet, So nobody can really answer your question as to whether a C31 will see DVRs other than a HR34. And LOL, my advise on any info from a Directv CSR based on experience is to "trust but verify".

May I say how mine does work?
Yes I do have one and have had it for a while.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

So nobody can really answer your question as to whether a C31 will see DVRs other than a HR34. And LOL, my advise on any info from a Directv CSR based on experience is to "trust but verify".

I certainly trust what VOS says. He has experience with them. Now, a CSR may certainly give bad info, but it can't be said that no one can answer the question on interaction with other DVRs.

#8 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

I agree with everyone else ! HR34 is great but when Dave wants to charge you the full amount as a second tuner and C31 is not a second tuner ! You can get devices that allow you to view the DVR else wer in your home ! for free ! your better off getting a real Tuner or just another DVR to your system

#9 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

You are wrong in one aspect: My C31 sees and plays recordings from my HR24 too.
I have yet to find I don't have a tuner available to use my C31.
Yes it does use a tuner from the HR34, but that means I don't have to do anything ahead of time to "simply pause" live TV, so for me the C31 is merely a remote extension of my HR34.

I think we are talking apples and oranges here. The C31 is only seeing the HR24 through being connected to the HR34. If you take the HR34 out of your system the C31 will not see the HR24 on its own.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

I think we are talking apples and oranges here. The C31 is only seeing the HR24 through being connected to the HR34. If you take the HR34 out of your system the C31 will not see the HR24 on its own.

The C31 is a RVU client to the HR34.
The C31 is useless on its own.
It can see recordings from other DVRs, which you said it couldn't.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

I certainly trust what VOS says. He has experience with them. Now, a CSR may certainly give bad info, but it can't be said that no one can answer the question on interaction with other DVRs.

You may want to ask "VOS" how he has had one for some time as the C31 has not been officially released. I just verified that with Directv today. They are hoping to release it on Wednesday, but are giving no guarantees on that.

#12 OFFLINE   unislick

unislick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

I never brought up CSR's as my source. I have been reading extensively this forum and a very similar forum to learn about Directv as I have been a Dish customer for nearly 10 years and I am leaving to try Directv out for a couple years. I appreciate your opinions, but I prefer to focus on facts.

C31's have been in select markets for a couple weeks and that came from a Directv supervisor.

Now back to original intention of post...HR24 or C31 in second most viewing area which happens to be a bedroom?

#13 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

The C31 is a RVU client to the HR34.
The C31 is useless on its own.
It can see recordings from other DVRs, which you said it couldn't.

And it can't on its own. It only can through the HR34. When I use a word, I mean for it to say exactly what it does. (From Alice in Wonderland)

#14 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

You may want to ask "VOS" how he has had one for some time as the C31 has not been officially released. I just verified that with Directv today. They are hoping to release it on Wednesday, but are giving no guarantees on that.

Someone has to beta test them. Apparently he is one of the testers.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

I agree with everyone else ! HR34 is great but when Dave wants to charge you the full amount as a second tuner and C31 is not a second tuner ! You can get devices that allow you to view the DVR else wer in your home ! for free ! your better off getting a real Tuner or just another DVR to your system

This has merit, but there are pros & cons with each.
I've changed from twin HR24s and a H25 to a HR24, HR34, & C31.
Tuner count wasn't ever a problem, and the C31 having just a bit more of a complete "Whole Home DVR" function is nice "for me".
Others might not find this to be the case.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

And it can't on its own. It only can through the HR34. When I use a word, I mean for it to say exactly what it does. (From Alice in Wonderland)

The C31 is not a stand alone receiver.
It's a RVU client for the HR34.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

I never brought up CSR's as my source. I have been reading extensively this forum and a very similar forum to learn about Directv as I have been a Dish customer for nearly 10 years and I am leaving to try Directv out for a couple years. I appreciate your opinions, but I prefer to focus on facts.

C31's have been in select markets for a couple weeks and that came from a Directv supervisor.

Now back to original intention of post...HR24 or C31 in second most viewing area which happens to be a bedroom?

If there is a possibility that the HR34 will be recording 5 things and someone wants to watch live TV at the same time and not what is recording, it may be best to put the HR24 there. Otherwise, I'd go for the silent C31 myself.

#18 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

The C31 is not a stand alone receiver.
It's a RVU client for the HR34.

Bingo, Now we are on the same page.

#19 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Except that some of us are okay with that, where you seem to have a bug up your butt about it.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

You quoted this from me earlier:

Yes it does use a tuner from the HR34

Why were we "not on the same page"? :confused:
A.K.A VOS