Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

C31 vs HR24

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:58 PM

Except that some of us are okay with that, where you seem to have a bug up your butt about it.

Correct I do. I am a power user. I have two Home Theaters in my condo plus other TVs. (Not to be taken as a brag statement. Simply a statement of fact). I can't get enough tuners and/or disk space. But I am even more bugged by what Directv charges for it and its fee. The unit is cheap to manufacture as it has no tuner or hard drive and it is not using any services of its own. It is simply riding on the HR34 and should be free because of that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Correct I do. I am a power user. I have two Home Theaters in my condo plus other TVs. (Not to be taken as a brag statement. Simply a statement of fact). I can't get enough tuners and/or disk space. But I am even more bugged by what Directv charges for it and its fee. The unit is cheap to manufacture as it has no tuner or hard drive and it is not using any services of its own. It is simply riding on the HR34 and should be free because of that.

As I said earlier, there are pros & cons.

In my case:
I was paying for 2 DVRs & a receiver. This gave me four tuners to record and one for live TV.

When I finally move away from my HR24, I'll have my HR34 & C31. This will cost me less and give me one more tuner that can record.

YMMV [aka pros & cons]

Now if you really want to get pissed off:
How about those with the RVU TV that don't need a C31, yet they still pay for the $6/month to connect their own TV.
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Oh right, I forgot about that program where Directv is forcing you to convert to C31s. Yeah, I guess I'd be pretty miffed about that.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#24 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Lets just agree to disagree. I won't post anymore on this particular thread. The OP is correct. I gave an opinion which some of you do not understand because it doesn't fit your particular situation. I think Directv is the best service around but that does not mean I am a die hard supporter of everything they do. I am 62 years old and was taught from birth to question everything. Criticism is the only way things get changed and improved. I am sorry I got into this discussion. OP just do what ever is best for you. Everyone has a different situation and needs.

#25 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

The unit is cheap to manufacture as it has no tuner or hard drive and it is not using any services of its own. It is simply riding on the HR34 and should be free because of that.

Just because a company finds a way to save money in one area does not mean they should give things away for free. The cost of other areas (content mainly) are on the rise and they have to find ways to offset those cost otherwise everyones bill will keep going up or they will not be able to stay in business.

#26 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Just because a company finds a way to save money in one area does not mean they should give things away for free. The cost of other areas (content mainly) are on the rise and they have to find ways to offset those cost otherwise everyones bill will keep going up or they will not be able to stay in business.

DirecTV is a business for profit.

Now, the stupid $3/month MRV fee "could have been" added value and free.

The C31 "could have been" an accessory, like the AM21, and also added value.
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have two Home Theaters in my condo

Boy, that term sure has been watered down over the years. Trust me, you do not have two home theaters - nobody does. In my living room I have a 65" properly calibrated display with 7.2 sound, but it's not a home theater - it's a living room.

To answer the OP, I don't think it really matters, but I'd put the C31 in the bedroom due to the form factor.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#28 OFFLINE   unislick

unislick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Rickt1962

What other free devices enable one to watch DVR content from elsewhere in your home (more specifically other TVs...mobile devices aren't preferred for me)?

#29 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Back to the question about a C31 vs. HR24 in a bedroom. I had a HR24-500 in our bedroom and replaced it with a C31 (yes I was in the test group so I've had one for awhile). I'm a very light sleeper and while the HR24-500 that was there was very quiet I could still hear the fan/hard drive very faintly. While it does use a tuner from the HR34 I haven't yet run into a conflict of not having a free tuner available. The reasons I had for doing the swap was:

- noise reduction
- better control over the ToDo list since one less DVR to manage
- access to OTA channels via the AM21 attached to the HR34
- caller ID provided by phone line attached to the HR34
- electricity savings by removing the HR24 and the UPS it attached to ( I put UPS's on all my DVR's)

I will say that the UI interface is a bit slower on the C31 vs. a HR24 but for me it's livable.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#30 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Oh right, I forgot about that program where Directv is forcing you to convert to C31s. Yeah, I guess I'd be pretty miffed about that.

Convert, no. I would wager a bet, however, that as soon as the C31 comes out and is verified to be working correctly, the new customer installs will no longer be a HDDVR and three HD receivers. It will be an HR34 and three C31's, which is theoretically the same tuner count, and monthly subscription cost. It will save DirecTv a LOT of money in the future. Smart move on their part.

The problem lies with those customers who require more than two recording tuners. For those customers, the C31's taking a tuner from the HR34, might be a problem where a second HDDVR would be a better choice for them.

As long as DirecTv allows a person to configure their system to meet their needs, all should be ok.

As VOS points out, however, I still disagree with the monthly fee for the C31. If people are willing to pay the $6 for the C31, and another $3 for the cable rental to use it (MRV fee) ($9/mo total for the first one), then more power to them.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#31 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Rickt1962

What other free devices enable one to watch DVR content from elsewhere in your home (more specifically other TVs...mobile devices aren't preferred for me)?

Xbox360, SageTV Media extenders are two.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#32 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Xbox360, SageTV Media extenders are two.

They're giving those away for free now?

#33 OFFLINE   unislick

unislick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Thanks RAD. Excuse my ignorance...a UPS is?

#34 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

They're giving those away for free now?

Free as in no monthly lease fee. I have no problem charging for the C31 hardware. Its the monthly fee to use it I disagree with. Its a mirror fee to mirror a tuner you are already paying for...

#35 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Thanks RAD. Excuse my ignorance...a UPS is?

Uninterruptible Power Supply, basically a battery backup to keep things running during short duration power outages.

#36 OFFLINE   unislick

unislick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

I c...thanks.

#37 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,936 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Boy, that term sure has been watered down over the years. Trust me, you do not have two home theaters - nobody does. In my living room I have a 65" properly calibrated display with 7.2 sound, but it's not a home theater - it's a living room.

To answer the OP, I don't think it really matters, but I'd put the C31 in the bedroom due to the form factor.

ahem,
Excuse me for piping in,
But I have a 9.1 surround system in the living room as well as a 5.1 in my bedroom, thank you very much

#38 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,936 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Boy, that term sure has been watered down over the years.

Or are you hanging your hat on the theater feature of having many patrons?

#39 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Free as in no monthly lease fee. I have no problem charging for the C31 hardware. Its the monthly fee to use it I disagree with. Its a mirror fee to mirror a tuner you are already paying for...

+1. I agree totally. I would gladly pay more up front for no monthly fee for the C31. I am starting to think the H25 is the way to go now.

Btw I would be pissed if I supplied my own Samsung TV and had to pay the extra $6.

Edited by LoweBoy, 07 October 2012 - 08:49 PM.

LoweBoy
1 HR34-700 -- Pioneer VSX-1021 -- Samsung 55" B8k
1 HR24-500 -- Samsung 46" C8k
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

nomad & MRV all self installed
iPads & iPhones & AppleTV

#40 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,897 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

May I say how mine does work?
Yes I do have one and have had it for a while.

So the C31 sees whatever the Genie (AKA HMC) sees?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...