Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

C31 vs HR24

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#26 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,158 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Just because a company finds a way to save money in one area does not mean they should give things away for free. The cost of other areas (content mainly) are on the rise and they have to find ways to offset those cost otherwise everyones bill will keep going up or they will not be able to stay in business.

DirecTV is a business for profit.

Now, the stupid $3/month MRV fee "could have been" added value and free.

The C31 "could have been" an accessory, like the AM21, and also added value.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,531 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have two Home Theaters in my condo

Boy, that term sure has been watered down over the years. Trust me, you do not have two home theaters - nobody does. In my living room I have a 65" properly calibrated display with 7.2 sound, but it's not a home theater - it's a living room.

To answer the OP, I don't think it really matters, but I'd put the C31 in the bedroom due to the form factor.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#28 OFFLINE   unislick

unislick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Rickt1962

What other free devices enable one to watch DVR content from elsewhere in your home (more specifically other TVs...mobile devices aren't preferred for me)?

#29 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,227 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:26 PM

Back to the question about a C31 vs. HR24 in a bedroom. I had a HR24-500 in our bedroom and replaced it with a C31 (yes I was in the test group so I've had one for awhile). I'm a very light sleeper and while the HR24-500 that was there was very quiet I could still hear the fan/hard drive very faintly. While it does use a tuner from the HR34 I haven't yet run into a conflict of not having a free tuner available. The reasons I had for doing the swap was:

- noise reduction
- better control over the ToDo list since one less DVR to manage
- access to OTA channels via the AM21 attached to the HR34
- caller ID provided by phone line attached to the HR34
- electricity savings by removing the HR24 and the UPS it attached to ( I put UPS's on all my DVR's)

I will say that the UI interface is a bit slower on the C31 vs. a HR24 but for me it's livable.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#30 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

Oh right, I forgot about that program where Directv is forcing you to convert to C31s. Yeah, I guess I'd be pretty miffed about that.

Convert, no. I would wager a bet, however, that as soon as the C31 comes out and is verified to be working correctly, the new customer installs will no longer be a HDDVR and three HD receivers. It will be an HR34 and three C31's, which is theoretically the same tuner count, and monthly subscription cost. It will save DirecTv a LOT of money in the future. Smart move on their part.

The problem lies with those customers who require more than two recording tuners. For those customers, the C31's taking a tuner from the HR34, might be a problem where a second HDDVR would be a better choice for them.

As long as DirecTv allows a person to configure their system to meet their needs, all should be ok.

As VOS points out, however, I still disagree with the monthly fee for the C31. If people are willing to pay the $6 for the C31, and another $3 for the cable rental to use it (MRV fee) ($9/mo total for the first one), then more power to them.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#31 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Rickt1962

What other free devices enable one to watch DVR content from elsewhere in your home (more specifically other TVs...mobile devices aren't preferred for me)?

Xbox360, SageTV Media extenders are two.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#32 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,227 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Xbox360, SageTV Media extenders are two.

They're giving those away for free now?

#33 OFFLINE   unislick

unislick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Thanks RAD. Excuse my ignorance...a UPS is?

#34 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

They're giving those away for free now?

Free as in no monthly lease fee. I have no problem charging for the C31 hardware. Its the monthly fee to use it I disagree with. Its a mirror fee to mirror a tuner you are already paying for...

#35 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,227 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Thanks RAD. Excuse my ignorance...a UPS is?

Uninterruptible Power Supply, basically a battery backup to keep things running during short duration power outages.

#36 OFFLINE   unislick

unislick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

I c...thanks.

#37 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,200 posts
  • LocationFort Pierce, FL

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Boy, that term sure has been watered down over the years. Trust me, you do not have two home theaters - nobody does. In my living room I have a 65" properly calibrated display with 7.2 sound, but it's not a home theater - it's a living room.

To answer the OP, I don't think it really matters, but I'd put the C31 in the bedroom due to the form factor.

ahem,
Excuse me for piping in,
But I have a 9.1 surround system in the living room as well as a 5.1 in my bedroom, thank you very much

#38 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,200 posts
  • LocationFort Pierce, FL

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Boy, that term sure has been watered down over the years.

Or are you hanging your hat on the theater feature of having many patrons?

#39 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Free as in no monthly lease fee. I have no problem charging for the C31 hardware. Its the monthly fee to use it I disagree with. Its a mirror fee to mirror a tuner you are already paying for...

+1. I agree totally. I would gladly pay more up front for no monthly fee for the C31. I am starting to think the H25 is the way to go now.

Btw I would be pissed if I supplied my own Samsung TV and had to pay the extra $6.

Edited by LoweBoy, 07 October 2012 - 08:49 PM.

LoweBoy
1 HR34-700 -- Pioneer VSX-1021 -- Samsung 55" B8k
1 HR24-500 -- Samsung 46" C8k
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

nomad & MRV all self installed
iPads & iPhones & AppleTV

#40 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,539 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

May I say how mine does work?
Yes I do have one and have had it for a while.

So the C31 sees whatever the Genie (AKA HMC) sees?

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#41 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,158 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

So the C31 sees whatever the Genie (AKA HMC) sees?

Yep.
It's just a remote extension of the Genie.
A.K.A VOS

#42 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,531 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

ahem,
Excuse me for piping in,
But I have a 9.1 surround system in the living room as well as a 5.1 in my bedroom, thank you very much

Not to derail the thread, but along with my 7.2 system in the living room, I have two other 5.1 systems with large screen displays (65" and 60"). Still, none of them are home theaters, just a nice living room, game room, and playroom.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#43 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,092 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

On the other hand, DirecTV doesn't charge you more per month for a 5 tuner DVR than they do for a 2 tuner DVR, so you weren't really paying for that extra tuner already, were you?

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#44 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,539 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Yep.
It's just a remote extension of the Genie.

How many can play Pandora at the same time?

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#45 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

On the other hand, DirecTV doesn't charge you more per month for a 5 tuner DVR than they do for a 2 tuner DVR, so you weren't really paying for that extra tuner already, were you?

If they did, then charging for the C31 would make more sense. I actually expected the HR34 to be activated with two tuners, and require an addition fee to enable the other three. The fact Tivo released their 4 tuner DVR at the same time, and cable companies did not charge extra probably played into that decision.

#46 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,158 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

How many can play Pandora at the same time?

:shrug: Not a feature I use.
A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

Convert, no. I would wager a bet, however, that as soon as the C31 comes out and is verified to be working correctly, the new customer installs will no longer be a HDDVR and three HD receivers. It will be an HR34 and three C31's, which is theoretically the same tuner count, and monthly subscription cost. It will save DirecTv a LOT of money in the future. Smart move on their part.

Smart move from a cost perspective, but not very thought out if that proves to be true as the HR34 does not have enough tuners to allow for a seamless TV watching experience (ie using double play) have Genie operating and the customer trying to record a show all the while supporting 3 C31s.

In that scenario the customer will have C31s without tuners of their own and a major new feature in Genie pulling one (or even multiple) tuners for its use. So what is the customer left with to watch TV if he's also recording a show?

I see a customer getting frustrated by constantly having to to juggle and ration tuners to make it all work.

The HR34 should have had 8 tuners IMO (or change the silly policy of one HR34 per account).

Edited by raott, 08 October 2012 - 05:32 AM.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#48 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

Smart move from a cost perspective, but not very thought out if that proves to be true as the HR34 does not have enough tuners to do that, allow for a seamless TV watching experience (ie using double play) have Genie operating and the customer trying to record a show.

In that scenario the customer will have C31s without tuners of their own and a major new feature in Genie pulling one (or even multiple) tuners for its use. So what is the customer left with to watch TV if he's also recording a show?

I see a customer getting frustrated by constantly having to to juggle and ration tuners to make it all work.

The HR34 should have had 8 tuners IMO.

People here tend to be power users. You have to realize that currently most new customers get 1 HD/DVR and HD receivers for their other TVs. Currently, it is very rare for me to install HR34s.

If the national offer becomes 1 HR34 and 3 C31s(which we'll have to wait until the 11th to find out how hard Genie will be pushed) the average customer wins. They get 5 tuners that can record, instead of 2 recordable and 3 live only. They get trick-play on each TV. They can watch a recording on each TV at the same time.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#49 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

People here tend to be power users. You have to realize that currently most new customers get 1 HD/DVR and HD receivers for their other TVs. Currently, it is very rare for me to install HR34s.

If the national offer becomes 1 HR34 and 3 C31s(which we'll have to wait until the 11th to find out how hard Genie will be pushed) the average customer wins. They get 5 tuners that can record, instead of 2 recordable and 3 live only. They get trick-play on each TV. They can watch a recording on each TV at the same time.

A family of 5 with a couple of teenagers and three TVs in the house would hardly be considered "power users". The 5 tuners aren't just for recording, they have to support live TV as well if D* moves to a 3 C31 installation. But I agree that if each TV is being used, the net affect of tuners available for recording /watching live TV would be the same as having an HR2X with 3 receivers (ie 5 total tuners) with the added benefit of being able to pause live TV on the other TVs.

The point I was making is the wildcard is Genie. If that is a major push, there is simply not enough tuners. People will either be unable to use Genie or be aggravated because they constantly have to ration tuners in the house. Especially in the current implementation where Genie seems to take tuners as it pleases to the point it interferes with live TV.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#50 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,158 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

A family of 5 with a couple of teenagers and three TVs in the house would hardly be considered "power users". The 5 tuners aren't just for recording, they have to support live TV as well if D* moves to a 3 C31 installation. But I agree that if each TV is being used, the net affect of tuners available for recording /watching live TV would be the same as having an HR2X with 3 receivers (ie 5 total tuners) with the added benefit of being able to pause live TV on the other TVs.

The point I was making is the wildcard is Genie. If that is a major push, there is simply not enough tuners. People will either be unable to use Genie or be aggravated because they constantly have to ration tuners in the house. Especially in the current implementation where Genie seems to take tuners as it pleases to the point it interferes with live TV.

I think anyone can find a "what if" case.
U-Verse has customers, but is limited to 3 or 4 channels.
The HR34 & C31 can share a tuner, which is nice, as the commercial for Whole Home DVR becomes a bit more of a reality, as you're not limited to recordings, but can do it with live TV.
Have you ever run out of tuners on the HR34 with a C31?
It pops up a screen where you select which recording to interrupt.
If Genie were "in my way", it would get stopped.
If the "couple of teenagers" end up putting more demand on the system, the customer can add/change them to a DVR.
You can't do this with U-Verse.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...