Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

C31 vs HR24

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Installation scheduled for Friday. Install HR34, HR24, and 2 C31's.

Believe it or not, there are times I've got five HR34 shows recording at once in prime time, and none of them are the baseball playoffs. Based on this, I'd go with an HR2x instead of a C31, if up-front cost is not a consideration. Downside is you'll have to manage multiple Series Managers and TDLs.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,133 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

The DirecTV site should have a worksheet that allow to check off rooms from a list and then add how many viewers will be in each room.

Which when filled out would describe the options available for each room.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#63 OFFLINE   unislick

unislick

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Although this thread seems to have multiple personalities, it has provided me with much insight (even if I didn't ask for it :-)).

A sanity check. Recall my equipment (HR34, HR24, C31, C31)

The C31 ONLY steals a tuner when viewing live TV, correct? I will have one C31 that will probably only be used but a dozen times a year (guest bedroom in the basement). Therefore, that leaves 3 tuners to record from and still be watching live tv on the HR34 and a C31. In the event, I want to tape 4 recordings at a time, I can record the 4th or 5th (depending on if live tv is being used) on the HR24 and still see these recordings from all the other TVs (HR34 and the C31s). Do I have this right?

This setup gives me less recording conflicts and the ability to see content across DVRs than my current 3 VIP722s from DISH. The only thing I am concerned with is storage space as I can store up 600 hours of HD (200 hours on each VIP722) and this Directv setup will only give me 300 hours of space. But, DISH and I's marriage got rocky with the big ten network debacle they recently just settled.

#64 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

The C31 ONLY steals a tuner when viewing live TV, correct? I will have one C31 that will probably only be used but a dozen times a year (guest bedroom in the basement). Therefore, that leaves 3 tuners to record from and still be watching live tv on the HR34 and a C31. In the event, I want to tape 4 recordings at a time, I can record the 4th or 5th (depending on if live tv is being used) on the HR24 and still see these recordings from all the other TVs (HR34 and the C31s). Do I have this right?

You do. Just requires a little planning, as you say. Otherwise you may sit down at a C31 or HR34 to watch LIVE and only then realize you have a conflict, when it now may be too late to move a recording in progress to the HR24.

Just pointing this out, because here's what I have scheduled for tonight and Wednesday, both nights I'll want to be watching playoff baseball live on TBS. As you can see, if I wanted to sit at the 34 or C31, I'd likely have to cancel the scheduled recordings on 231 each night and hope those episodes will be re-aired.

Attached Thumbnails

• tdl1.jpg
  • tdl2.jpg

/steve

#65 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,928 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:48 AM

...This setup gives me less recording conflicts and the ability to see content across DVRs than my current 3 VIP722s from DISH. The only thing I am concerned with is storage space as I can store up 600 hours of HD (200 hours on each VIP722) and this Directv setup will only give me 300 hours of space. But, DISH and I's marriage got rocky with the big ten network debacle they recently just settled.

You could put a 2 or 3TB external on the HR34 to get up to 400 or 600 hours on there if 300 hours total is an issue.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#66 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

Rickt1962

What other free devices enable one to watch DVR content from elsewhere in your home (more specifically other TVs...mobile devices aren't preferred for me)?

All u need is a http://www.smarthome...odulator/p.aspx I have my DVR plugged into this and every TV in my house on Channel 122 get My DVR TV or Movies using the DirecTv RF remote

U can buy a 4 channel modulator and send your DVD player to all TV's and outside video camera's etc etc endless uses for it. And you dont pay a per month fee to view YOUR Content of YOUR DVR

If i was single and living alone , The only way i would go the route of paying the monthly fee is if I purchased a NEW TV From Samsung with the RVU built ! Unit would look nice on the Bedroom wall and No boxes to deal with.

But buying the C31 oops Renting since you have to pay everymonth doesnot make sense. For the same money get another DVR

#67 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

Now if they came up with a RF modulator that did HD signals vs SD for $45 I'd be all over that. But all my TV's are HD and a SD only solution like you're isn't something I'd do.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#68 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

Now if they came up with a RF modulator that did HD signals vs SD for $45 I'd be all over that. But all my TV's are HD and a SD only solution like you're isn't something I'd do.

Ive been looking for an ATSC modulator since ATSC came out. Nothing but commercial units for big bucks.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#69 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

Just install a HDMI Splitter in the back of your DVR then convert to Cat 5 wire it can go upto a 150' Cheap way they do make a RF Modulator in HDMI but dam its expensive !

#70 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Just install a HDMI Splitter in the back of your DVR then convert to Cat 5 wire it can go upto a 150' Cheap way they do make a RF Modulator in HDMI but dam its expensive !

It's a nice idea if you have an easy way to be running a dedicated cat 5 cable to the locations you need. Most home have coax run to things like bedrooms but not a cat 5.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#71 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

All u need is a http://www.smarthome...odulator/p.aspx I have my DVR plugged into this and every TV in my house on Channel 122 get My DVR TV or Movies using the DirecTv RF remote

U can buy a 4 channel modulator and send your DVD player to all TV's and outside video camera's etc etc endless uses for it. And you dont pay a per month fee to view YOUR Content of YOUR DVR

If i was single and living alone , The only way i would go the route of paying the monthly fee is if I purchased a NEW TV From Samsung with the RVU built ! Unit would look nice on the Bedroom wall and No boxes to deal with.

But buying the C31 oops Renting since you have to pay everymonth doesnot make sense. For the same money get another DVR

I used a channel plus modulator for many years (still hooked up, actually), but we haven't used it in about 6 months. Got tired of the SD and now that there's MRV, just decided to spend the extra $15 per month in mirror fees to have HD everywhere.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#72 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

It's a nice idea if you have an easy way to be running a dedicated cat 5 cable to the locations you need. Most home have coax run to things like bedrooms but not a cat 5.

Just use DECA or MoCA (if no DirecTV Signal is on that line).
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#73 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

I used a channel plus modulator for many years (still hooked up, actually), but we haven't used it in about 6 months. Got tired of the SD and now that there's MRV, just decided to spend the extra $15 per month in mirror fees to have HD everywhere.

My DirecTV bill is creeping up a bit too high, so I just did the opposite! :lol: For my two guest bedroom 4:3 CRTs, which are rarely used, I went from a box on each one of them, to one H21 in the attic connected to an RF modulator and an RF remote in each bedroom. The way I look at it, it's a $6 month saving that pays for the protection plan.

If there was a full-time occupant in either room, I'd upgrade it to a flat screen and full HD. For the 2-3 times a year someone's actually going to watch those screens, however, 4:3 SD is fine.
/steve

#74 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

My DirecTV bill is creeping up a bit too high, so I just did the opposite! :lol: For my two guest bedroom 4:3 CRTs, which are rarely used, I went from a box on each one of them, to one H21 in the attic connected to an RF modulator and an RF remote in each bedroom. The way I look at it, it's a $6 month saving that pays for the protection plan.

If there was a full-time occupant in either room, I'd upgrade it to a flat screen and full HD. For the 2-3 times a year someone's actually going to watch those screens, however, 4:3 SD is fine.

Im the same way, SD is fine for all the small TV's around my house. Geeesh some people really get anal ! LOL When i watch a movie i want to be in front of my 65" HD with surround sound ! Thats wer i want the HD to be not my small TV's :nono:

#75 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

You do. Just requires a little planning, as you say. Otherwise you may sit down at a C31 or HR34 to watch LIVE and only then realize you have a conflict, when it now may be too late to move a recording in progress to the HR24.

But, on the few times that this happens, you can just set the HR-24 to record the show that you want to watch live, which will allow you to essentially "steal" one of the HR-24 tuners to watch that live show on whatever TV you want.

#76 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

But, on the few times that this happens, you can just set the HR-24 to record the show that you want to watch live, which will allow you to essentially "steal" one of the HR-24 tuners to watch that live show on whatever TV you want.

That could work. :up: Since I've already got the boxes, though, by going WHDVR and use an H (or HR) client, I don't have to deal with it.

For new installations, though, any perceived benefit of that approach should be weighed against the upfront cost difference between a C31 and an H25, e.g., and the inability to pause LIVE TV with an HD-only box.
/steve

#77 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

That could work. :up: Since I've already got the boxes, though, by going WHDVR and use an H (or HR) client, I don't have to deal with it.

For new installations, though, any perceived benefit of that approach should be weighed against the upfront cost difference between a C31 and an H25, e.g., and the inability to pause LIVE TV with an HD-only box.

If that H box is on Whole Home could you not just be recording that program on a HR box and pause live TV that way?

#78 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

If that H box is on Whole Home could you not just be recording that program on a HR box and pause live TV that way?

This is a work-a-round, that works, but "what if" someone walks into the room and starts drowning out the TV?

Option 1: You scream at them, but miss the dialog.
Option 2: you hit pause and "politely" tell them to go....(:lol:) and then rewind.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...