Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Schedule is not correct

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   prabs99

prabs99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

I have the Mentalist set to record every Sunday, but the scheduled is hosed. According to the guide, my local CBS stations (KEPR & KIMA) has Mentalist on at 10:30, which is incorrect. How do I fix this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,688 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Contact your local stations. It's up to them to provide accurate Guide Data information to Tribune News Services, which is the company that delivers the Guide Data for DirecTV, Tivo and others.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,132 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

I have the Mentalist set to record every Sunday, but the scheduled is hosed. According to the guide, my local CBS stations (KEPR & KIMA) has Mentalist on at 10:30, which is incorrect. How do I fix this?

10:30 PM is correct. CBS push back the start times for several Sunday shows because of football.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#4 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,162 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:07 AM

10:30 PM is correct. CBS push back the start times for several Sunday shows because of football.

The Sunday lineup was on at regular times in the Pacific time zone. KGPE Fresno had the correct start times at the top of the hour.

#5 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

The Sunday lineup was on at regular times in the Pacific time zone. KGPE Fresno had the correct start times at the top of the hour.

CBS said the lineup for Eastern and Central will be pushed 30 minutes on double header Sundays.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:25 AM

CBS said the lineup for Eastern and Central will be pushed 30 minutes on double header Sundays.

I believe what David was trying to point out is that the OP is in Pacific therefore his schedule should show 10pm, not 10:30.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

i don't like to record anything CBS or FOX on Sunday nights because of football, you never know when football will end, and not with the new OT rule

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

The Guide otherwise on D* seems to be worthless at times. Many shows (like Mythbusters) don't have correct data which causes every episode to record although I have only New episodes set to record.. fun when they do a Mythbusters marathon all day. I am guessing that Tribune is providing garbage data to D*.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

What do I do when I see a possible EPG error? Record the slot before/after your target program, as you deem necessary. Especially on Sundays.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

The Guide otherwise on D* seems to be worthless at times. Many shows (like Mythbusters) don't have correct data which causes every episode to record although I have only New episodes set to record.. fun when they do a Mythbusters marathon all day. I am guessing that Tribune is providing garbage data to D*.

Do they actually record, or just show up in the ToDo list? I see marathons in my ToDo list, not just Mythbusters, but they end up not actually being recorded.

#11 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

When guide data is incorrect, 99 out of 100 times it is the station (or local affiliate thereof) that is not sending correct guide data to DirecTV. DirecTV places guide data *as they receive it* in their guide, if it is incorrect, then they received incorrect data.

If you KNOW a certain program is always on at the same time, you can schedule a manual time recording.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Oh, yeah.

Case in point: Last evening, for whatever reason, Turner switched the broadcast of the Giants-Reds BB playoff game from TBS to TNT. So when I got home I found I recorded the first five innings of the Yankees-Orioles game, totally missing what I wanted to watch. The whole time, the latter game's Info said it was the SF-Cincy game.

Even if Turner promptly sent information to The Trib. and even if The Tribune sent it promptly to DIRECTV®, updates to us cannot happen instantaneously, AFAIK. (Can they??) Damn Turner, anyway.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#13 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Oh, yeah.

Case in point: Last evening, for whatever reason, Turner switched the broadcast of the Giants-Reds BB playoff game from TBS to TNT. So when I got home I found I recorded the first five innings of the Yankees-Orioles game, totally missing what I wanted to watch. The whole time, the latter game's Info said it was the SF-Cincy game.

Even if Turner promptly sent information to The Trib. and even if The Tribune sent it promptly to DIRECTV®, updates to us cannot happen instantaneously, AFAIK. (Can they??) Damn Turner, anyway.

The guide was not inaccurate. Any time a game doesn't end in time, Turner moves the late game to TNT temporarily until the earlier game ends. In this case, the BAL/NYY game was rain delayed. There was no way to predict when that game was going to end and when SF/CIN was going to move to TBS.

#14 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

To flesh this out:

The DirecTV listings are provided to DirecTV via the Tribune Company.

Tribune gets its listing from forms sent in from each local station.

Zap2it, an online listing service, is likewise supplied by Tribune. The listing on both DirecTV and Zap2it are the same.

The following only affect people in the Eastern and Central Time Zones. Eastern Times will be used. The NFL used to start its second set of games at 4:05. CBS would list 60 Minutes as starting at 7:00, but it would actually start it whenever the football game was over, which is why the announcer would say just after 7:00 "Stay tuned for 60 Minutes after football, except on the west coast where it will be seen at its regular time." So 60 Minutes might actually start at, say 7:17 after a game, followed by the next show at 8:17, 9:17, etc, with the late news starting at 11:17, and then the local channel would get back on schedule in the wee hours overnight by skipping 17 minutes of some show at some awful hour. For you out west, none of this applied, as the same game would have ended for you at 4:17 PT, followed by whatever your local station puts up after games, with 60 Minutes starting at 7:00 PT, every week.

Neilsen (the ratings people) would then have to go back and hand adjust ratings in the east. Because its computer (which also gets listings from Tribune) would show people watching 60 Minutes, when they were actually watching the end of the game, then show people watching the 8:00 show, when they were actually watching 60 Minutes, etc).

Standard NFL practice is to stay with the 1:00 ET games until all are over, in most cases. (The "Heidi Rule".) As football games are not finishing in their 3 hour alloted slot much any more, this meant that you often did not see much of the first quarter of the second game, so the NFL has moved the start time of its late afternoon games to 4:25 ET. Neilsen informed CBS that it would not allow them to list 60 Minutes at 7:00 and do that much hand adjusting (since the actual start times would now be off by as much as 45 minutes to an hour.)

So, IN THE EASTERN AND CENTRAL time zones, on weeks were CBS carries two games, 60 Minutes is listed to start at 7:30 ET (and actually will start later than that, whenever the game is over). However, in the PACIFIC time zone, 60 Minutes is still listed (and actually will) start at 7:00 PT.

What has happened (I looked at Zap2it's archive to confirm this) is that some slug at your local CBS station has sent in the ET listing, rather than the PT listings. Its their screw up, not DirecTV and not Tribune. Garbage in, garbage out.

The next week CBS has two games is the 21st. In a couple of days, when the listings are up, check on Zap2it and if your local station has 60 Minutes listed at 7:30, call up the station manager. He will be glad you brought this to his attention.

#15 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts
  • LocationTupelo, MS

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

You can program your shows/series to start early and stop late when you schedule something to record on Sunday night or any other night. I just recently figured out how to do this due to Spike TV's late start times. Only took me 4 years to find out I could do this.:lol:

#16 OFFLINE   prabs99

prabs99

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

I am attaching the schedule from KEPR's website. They have it correct there, but sent the wrong info to Zap2it??

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-8-2012 6-23-25 PM.png

#17 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,688 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:36 AM

I am attaching the schedule from KEPR's website. They have it correct there, but sent the wrong info to Zap2it??

Happens a lot.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#18 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

What seems to happen sometimes is that they send out INITIAL schedules, but then forget to send out an UPDATE to the schedule if it changes.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,990 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

What seems to happen sometimes is that they send out INITIAL schedules, but then forget to send out an UPDATE to the schedule if it changes.

Is there not a potential significant delay in getting the updates into our Guides from the time DIRECTV® receives it from the Trib? Or are changes to specific shows (as opposed to regular extending of Guide data) sent almost immediately?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

This isn't really "them" directly -- it comes from TitanTV, which is a competing service to Tribune Media Services.

It's possible that KEPR sent the same wrong info to both TMS and TitanTV, but someone at TitanTV caught the error and someone at TMS did not.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...