Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Schedule is not correct

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

Is there not a potential significant delay in getting the updates into our Guides from the time DIRECTV® receives it from the Trib? Or are changes to specific shows (as opposed to regular extending of Guide data) sent almost immediately?

There is most definitely a lag. And it might depend on how it is delivered as well. Having worked in industries where client provide updates to web and/or other systems, I would imagine that the uploading of TV scheduled is largely automated, where a company like Tribune would deliver guide data in a pre-determined and agreed upon format, and it will automatically be queued up to DirecTV's systems, with a "format checker" that can deny or approve automatically based upon certain criteria.

Provided that the data passes this inspection, it will be queued for sending to receivers. When this actually happens, I do not know....

First, internet connected receivers: There are probably a few million of those, and if you were to blast each update out when the update happens, you might create some congestion at DirecTV's internet backbone. Instead, it is likely that the receivers themselves check at a certain random interval for an update, and then download them.

Second, non-internet connected receivers: They will probably receive their guide data updates at a set time each day. Guide data is blasted throughout the day to the entire CONUS (and maybe to Spot beams), and it just depends on when your station is scheduled to be beamed down to receivers.

(Also, I believe that internet updates take priority, that is, if your internet fails it will still get updates from the sats, but it will check internet first - In essence, if you want to make sure you have the latest guide info, connecting your receivers to the internet might be the way to go)

I could see it happen that a company like Tribune makes a change in the afternoon, sends it to DirecTV at around 3 PM, but the change isn't scheduled for its next update till after midnight at 1 AM as that is perhaps the standard schedule for that particular channel, causing wrong guide info for the changes that night.

This happens sometimes with sports weather delays/cancellations, when the next day guide data has not been updated yet, and regular programming will be preempted for the game. If you want to record the game, you will have to set a manual time recording. Sometimes they also do not update the guide when a play-off game is won in 5 games and game 6 is no longer needed.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

This happens sometimes with sports weather delays/cancellations, when the next day guide data has not been updated yet, and regular programming will be preempted for the game. If you want to record the game, you will have to set a manual time recording.

Yes, it is always best to set a manual record for delayed events. I will use NASCAR on Fox for example. If it gets rained out, the policy is to run on Monday mid-morning. If you just set up to record the shows on Fox the next morning, and the DO update the guide, then the recordings will be cancelled. Better to just set a manual record for the time slot.

There also used to be an issue with college football on ABC late in the season. In certain circumstances ABC does not have to pick a game until Wednesday afternoon. So the guide will read "College Football". So if you set it to record, and then they update it, it will cancell the recording.

#23 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

There was a guide issue recently in the Milwaukee market when two stations owned by the same broadcaster (Weigel Broadcasting) "swapped" channel assignments. ME-TV which was on LIL channel 49 and WMLW (a low-power station) which was on LIL channel 41 were the two stations. The swap was done because OTA channel 49 was a full-power UHF station and WMLW was a low power station and the broadcaster wanted WMLW in HD on the full-power station.

MEANWHILE, DirecTV broadcast announcements in the guide for a week before the switch and then successfully made the switch-for a week. Then the two got switched back and the guide info made recording shows nearly impossible.

Calling DirecTV was like talking to yourself. One excuse after another. After two weeks of this I decided to try a new approach. I sent an email on the BROADCASTER'S web site advising them of the problem and telling them I couldn't record my favorite shows. TWO DAYS LATER it was fixed!!!

So if you are experiencing guide issues with a local station, complain on the station's web site-don't bother wasting your time with DirecTV customer service!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#24 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

sounds like this is why it would be nice to have a genie just set it to record tnt and fx an extra 3 hours in case of extra innings or rain delays,plus you will still have 3 available tuners to record other shows.

spam firewall