Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 New Installation Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chewbach

chewbach

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

We are a new Directv subscriber with new installation (HR34 + two additional receivers) scheduled for tomorrow (10/09).

Is there any advantage of watching programming directly from the HR34 vs. a connected receiver?

Normally, we would have connected the HR34 to our primary TV set. However,
the "ideal" location for the satellite dish already has a cable run to a TV that isn't our primary set. Thus, it would be very easy to install the HR34 in that location, and just use a receiver for our primary TV.

Thanks in advance for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,724 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

"I'd say" the HR34 on the main TV is the way to go. Picture in Picture will only be from the 34.

Cabling shouldn't make any difference, since all receivers need one coax.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Is there any advantage of watching programming directly from the HR34 vs. a connected receiver?

Pausing or rewinding live TV requires that the program be recording if you're using a conventional receiver. If you're using a RVU client, this restriction doesn't exist.

You'll be much happier with the experience if you have the HR34 located where you most often watch TV (especially TV with commercials).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Also the HR34 has picture-in-picture.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   chewbach

chewbach

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

I am so glad I asked! Thanks for the feedback!!

#6 OFFLINE   chewbach

chewbach

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Pausing or rewinding live TV requires that the program be recording if you're using a conventional receiver. If you're using a RVU client, this restriction doesn't exist.

You'll be much happier with the experience if you have the HR34 located where you most often watch TV (especially TV with commercials).

How would I go about getting a "RVU Client" vs. standard HD receiver when they do my installation? (Based on a little searching, it looks like the C31 RVU just came out, but don't know what it would take to get them.)

#7 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Cincinnati is on the initial release list. You would have to call Directv and ask. Modifying your work order would most likely cause a reschedule.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

spam firewall