Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR Installation with Two Dish Setup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gthorson

gthorson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

When I moved into my existing house four years ago, the DirecTV installer was unable to accomplish the installation with a single dish due to aesthetic reasons. As a result, he installed two dishes. The first dish provides the signal to our most used HD DVR. The second dish provides the signal to our other three HD DVRs.

My DirecTV Whole House Install is scheduled for Wednesday. Will we be able to get all four HD DVRs on the same network, or will the primary DVR be disconnected as it draws its signal from a different dish?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

You can do whole home DVR off of Ethernet if that's possible. Not quite sure if the installer will do that for you as it is not a standard installation.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

As a compromise, you can install a CCK on the lines from both dishes. This will allow each setup to see each other via your home network, but still would allow your main setup to use the DECA network for MRV. At a minimum, use DECA and a CCK on the main setup and run an Ethernet cable to the single DVR.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

What the installer will probably be willing to do is put the three HR's on a DECA network, and connect them to your LAN with a CCK. Once he has done that, simply connecting your other HR to your LAN with an ethernet cable will allow it to function in the process, as The Merg pointed out. That's probably the easiest way to accomplish what you want.

#5 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

And if there is no Ethernet near the independant DVR, and assuming you have wi-fi, just get a wireless CCK and use it to connect to the LAN.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#6 OFFLINE   gthorson

gthorson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Sounds like great advice! I'll show it to the installer when s/he arrives. If anyone has any other suggestions to share before this afternoon, please feel free to fire away. Thanks for all of your help!

#7 OFFLINE   gthorson

gthorson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for all of your help! It turned out that the installer could go back to a single dish configuration using the old cable wiring. The reason the one dish setup wouldn't work when we moved in four years ago was because I needed two lines each for my DVRs. Now with the new technology, we essentially eliminated the need for the two dish configuration because each DVR only needs one line now, and the whole house installation is complete. Even the Nomad works. I'm now enjoying my HR 34 and three HD DVRs with a total of 2.5 TB of recording capacity and 11 tuners. :)

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hey, that's great news. Glad the installer was on top of things and got you sorted out that way.

#9 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

I have the same situation. Big house, DTV was first installed when it took 2 lines for a dual tuner DVR, house only had one. Installer had to use 2 dishes. Upgraded recently by adding HR34. I'm still using all 3 DVRs plus H25 in two additional rooms. Both dishes are running DECA and everything communicates. I am wired throughout the house for ethernet, but I have no DVR connected directly to ethernet. Everything goes to DECA. The installer told me it would not work and had to admit his surprise when he hooked up the second one and everything was recognized.

#10 OFFLINE   gthorson

gthorson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

My ethernet connection was made directly to an HR21. It then supplied internet connectivity to the rest of the system. Unfortunately, I'm having the same problem as many others on this forum in that the HR 34 keeps dropping out of the whole-house network system. That will give me something to do this weekend. :confused:

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,399 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

My ethernet connection was made directly to an HR21. It then supplied internet connectivity to the rest of the system. Unfortunately, I'm having the same problem as many others on this forum in that the HR 34 keeps dropping out of the whole-house network system. That will give me something to do this weekend. :confused:

:confused: Is the HR21 also connected through DECA?
Using the HR21 as a bridge for internet to DECA isn't a good idea.
Using the HR34 is.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   gthorson

gthorson

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

Yes, the HR 21 is also connected through DECA.

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,399 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

Yes, the HR 21 is also connected through DECA.

So it sounds like you're using both ethernet ports on the HR21, which is a bad idea.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall