Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR23's Freezing and Rebooting...Again

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Well, here we go again. A while back my receivers would freeze up and reboot themselves several times a day. The last few days it is happening again. I guess there has been a software "upgrade" over the last week. I am all but set on jumping to Dish now. My receivers are as slow (or slower) than ever and Direct does not want to work with me on keeping me as a customer. I am out of contract. I called last week about any discounts and was offered $10 a month off plus free DVR service for a year. My bill is up to $127 a month...no premium channels or anything, just Choice Plus Classic (I think). With the discounts I will still be around $110. That ain't good enough for the slow and re-booting receivers. I asked about what it would take to get Whole Home DVR and was told it would cost me $500 up front (I currently have 2 HR23's, an SD DVR, and 2 standard boxes). That is insane.

I will be calling Dish tomorrow for the Hopper. Hopefully they will work out a deal to bring back AMC before Breaking Bad kicks up again.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Whole home DVR upgrade should cost no more than $199 for the upgrade + $49 for the installation. If you were quoted $500 you either received incorrect pricing or you left some information out.

Edited by inf0z, 10 October 2012 - 03:10 PM.
Edit - Accidently typed 299 instead of 199.

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

I believe the regular Whole Home DVR install where they install DECAs at your receivers and a Cinema Connect Kit is normally priced at $199 + $49 installation so $248 total.

My guess is the CSR was qouting you for a switch to the HR34 which runs $399 and a $49 install for a total of $448.

Or maybe he was swapping out your SD-DVR for a HD-DVR, and your two SD receivers for HD receivers which would run ($199 + $99 + $99 = $397) + $49 install for a total of $446.

I would say call back again and talk to another CSR. Sadly CSR roulette can greatly change what offers you get.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   sacflies

sacflies

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

I believe the regular Whole Home DVR install where they install DECAs at your receivers and a Cinema Connect Kit is normally priced at $199 + $49 installation so $248 total.

My guess is the CSR was qouting you for a switch to the HR34 which runs $399 and a $49 install for a total of $448.

Or maybe he was swapping out your SD-DVR for a HD-DVR, and your two SD receivers for HD receivers which would run ($199 + $99 + $99 = $397) + $49 install for a total of $446.

I would say call back again and talk to another CSR. Sadly CSR roulette can greatly change what offers you get.

Yes, that may be. I would have to upgrade my 3 non HD boxes to HD boxes, but I wouldn't need to upgrade the SD DVR to a HD DVR. Only to an HD box since I would have the Whole Home DVR throughout my house. The CSR I got wasn't the best for working out a deal, that's for sure. I am not sure what to do. I hear bad things about Dish as well. And they are more apt to drop channels. But my very sluggish receivers are enough to make me take the hop. And they will not upgrade my receivers. I could probably drop them and then they would come back with all the good offers. But if I switch to Dish I wouldn't switch back to Direct until the 2 years with Dish is up. Probably the best bet...just keep switching back and forth.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...