Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Possible solution to progress bar appearing each time Advance button is pressed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thunter913

thunter913

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

NOTE: I realize that you can press the Exit button on the remote to remove the progress bar from the screen, however this solution is geared towards users like myself, who simply don't want to see the progress bar displayed at all no matter how quickly it can be removed from the screen.

I have a possible solution to the progress bar appearing each time the Advance button is pressed using DIRECTV universal remote on a HR34 DVR. However, the solution is applicable only if you meet the following criteria.

(1) The constant appearence of the progress bar really annoys you while you are playing your content
(2) You have at least one DVR that is not a HR34, for example a HR20.

If you meet the two requirements above, then my solution may work for you as a temporary workaround until DIRECTV fixes this bug. However, given the amount of time this bug has been present, and the number of people that have complained about this problem, I am beginning to believe that DIRECTV isn't going to fix this issue on the HR34.

The solution involves using Whole Home DVR Service. You need to set up the service so that your non HR34 DVR, for example, a HR20, can see the content on the HR34 DVR. In my case, the content I use this technique on is when viewing NFL games. Using the HR20 begin playing the NFL game that was recorded on the HR34. Now you can press the Advance button and progress bar will NOT be displayed.

There are a couple of disadvantages to using this solution. The first disadvantage is when you press the Advance button while playing the HR34 content on the HR20, it takes about a half a second longer for the the DVR to advance to the new position than it would if you pressed the Advance button while viewing the content natively on the HR34. The second disadvantage is that the Whole Home DVR service costs $3.00/month.

The decision on whether to use this solution comes down to this basic question: Is the appearence of the progress bar, each time you press the Advance button, more annoying than an extra half second delay required to wait for the content to skip 30 seconds. The answer for me, after trying my solution, is that the progess bar is far more annoying than the extra half second delay, which is hardly noticeable to me. Those of you who have the equipment can try the solution and determine if the delay and cost are acceptable to you.

Edited by thunter913, 08 October 2012 - 10:52 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

That's very interesting.

I don't have WH nor would I want it, so it does not apply to me, but kudos.

I will add that I consider the time bar really annoying. If I just pressed a button that takes me into FFWD or pause, for instance, I already know that; after all, I am the one that just pressed the button. I don't need the DVR to naggingly remind me what I have just done by obscuring what it is that I paused the video for in the first place. It really could not be more counter-intuitive, and it seems like the simplest no-brainer that it should not behave like that; I don't know what the designers could have been thinking. It really should be a user pref.

That said, I think an extra half-second delay would be even more annoying, especially on DVRs that are sluggish at best.

My workaround has been to press the play button a second time to clear the time bar, which works, but not when in pause. That to me is easier than pressing the exit button.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#3 ONLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

If you set your DVR to do a 30 second skip (which immediately advances the program 30 seconds) instead of the default 30 second slip (which fast scans the program 30 seconds), you will never see the progress bar when you press the advance button.

#4 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

If you set your DVR to do a 30 second skip (which immediately advances the program 30 seconds) instead of the default 30 second slip (which fast scans the program 30 seconds), you will never see the progress bar when you press the advance button.

On the HR34-700 you see progress bar regardless if it is 30SKIP or 30SLIP

JACK,

#5 ONLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

On the HR34-700 you see progress bar regardless if it is 30SKIP or 30SLIP

Oops. That seems like a silly thing to change between the HD DVR's and the HR-34.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:58 PM

NOTE: I realize that you can press the Exit button on the remote to remove the progress bar from the screen, however this solution is geared towards users like myself, who simply don't want to see the progress bar displayed at all no matter how quickly it can be removed from the screen.

I have a possible solution to the progress bar appearing each time the Advance button is pressed using DIRECTV universal remote on a HR34 DVR. However, the solution is applicable only if you meet the following criteria.

(1) The constant appearence of the progress bar really annoys you while you are playing your content
(2) You have at least one DVR that is not a HR34, for example a HR20.

If you meet the two requirements above, then my solution may work for you as a temporary workaround until DIRECTV fixes this bug. However, given the amount of time this bug has been present, and the number of people that have complained about this problem, I am beginning to believe that DIRECTV isn't going to fix this issue on the HR34.

The solution involves using Whole Home DVR Service. You need to set up the service so that your non HR34 DVR, for example, a HR20, can see the content on the HR34 DVR. In my case, the content I use this technique on is when viewing NFL games. Using the HR20 begin playing the NFL game that was recorded on the HR34. Now you can press the Advance button and progress bar will NOT be displayed.

There are a couple of disadvantages to using this solution. The first disadvantage is when you press the Advance button while playing the HR34 content on the HR20, it takes about a half a second longer for the the DVR to advance to the new position than it would if you pressed the Advance button while viewing the content natively on the HR34. The second disadvantage is that the Whole Home DVR service costs $3.00/month.

The decision on whether to use this solution comes down to this basic question: Is the appearence of the progress bar, each time you press the Advance button, more annoying than an extra half second delay required to wait for the content to skip 30 seconds. The answer for me, after trying my solution, is that the progess bar is far more annoying than the extra half second delay, which is hardly noticeable to me. Those of you who have the equipment can try the solution and determine if the delay and cost are acceptable to you.

You are assuming that the progress bar on the hr34 for skip is a bug. I'd say at the moment, its a debate in progress within directv. There are arguments to be made for having it and not having it, especially with the hr34, if you have ever seen the rx70 remote that rvu TV clients use with it.

Some people have always wanted it anyway...

Personally I hope they kill it. Slip users can have it, skip users don't need it.

#7 OFFLINE   thunter913

thunter913

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

inkahauts, you make a fair point. It may not be a bug as you state because DIRECTV may have decided to make the progress bar appear every time the Advance button was pressed the default behavior on the HR34.

However, it still seems like a bug to me, because I would have thought that if DIRECTV wanted this as the default behavior, DIRECTV would have changed it on the other DRV models whenever an update was released for a particular model. I will concede the point that to include this behavior change in an update for the other DVR models may have been too much trouble for DIRECTV, and thus they decided to only change it on the HR34.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

It may not be so much as a desired change that was made, but a small quirk in software that's being worked on weekly.

And the 30Skip has never been an officially supported command.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

I hope they don't remove it. I like that alot. I thought it was an improvement.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#10 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

It would be nice if they would address both the progress bar and the station ID bar in a menu option (station ID display time is already in a menu option but no option for "NONE") so they could be individually turned off if desired. I get tired of the station ID bar popping up whenever I change a station (it sometimes hangs up and doesn't disappear until I hit the EXIT button), but I do like the progress bar. I sometimes use the latter to see when a movie is going to end (hit play and the bar shows the current position in the movie).

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

I hope they don't remove it. I like that alot. I thought it was an improvement.

Depends what you mean by "it".
Dunno of anyone that likes the progress bar when 30 SKIP is used.

Few want it gone entirely for FF or RW. [I'd prefer a way to toggle it on/off.]

#12 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

I think anytime you do trick play of any kind a progress bar should be displayed. I want to know where I am in a recording.
Panasonic 58PX60U

No OTA only Sat

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#13 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yes, because it is very important to know exactly where you have paused rather than being able to actually see the screen. :rolleyes:
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#14 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,168 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

I think anytime you do trick play of any kind a progress bar should be displayed. I want to know where I am in a recording.

I use 30SKIP to get through the commercials. I know where I am in the recordings.I don't want to see the progress bar. I want to hit 30SKIP 6 or 7 times and get back to programming.

As LAXGUY posted I also [prefer a way to toggle it on/off.]

JACK,

#15 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yes, because it is very important to know exactly where you have paused rather than being able to actually see the screen. :rolleyes:

Yes! Why is this so difficult to understand. When you pause, or fast forward or anything why WOULDN'T you want to know where you are. Roll you eyes, really. I guess you have some clairvoyance of where you are in a program. Ridiculous.
Panasonic 58PX60U

No OTA only Sat

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Could we all not agree that sometimes the Progress bar is useful and at others it's merely a nuisance?
I've learned to hit Exit a tenth of a second after hitting FF or RW if I need/want to see the whole screen.
It should never appear with 30SKIP.

#17 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Yes! Why is this so difficult to understand. When you pause, or fast forward or anything why WOULDN'T you want to know where you are. Roll you eyes, really. I guess you have some clairvoyance of where you are in a program. Ridiculous.

Because the vast majority of the time I don't care where I am at in a recording, I just want to watch the program I'm watching. The progress bar is just a distraction. If for some reason I do want to see where I'm at in a program it is pretty easy to just hit the play button to bring the progress bar up real quick to show me. No reason for it to be showing up all the time when I don't care about it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall