Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Monthly Charge??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

I have had my Hr34 for a few months now and just now noticed an $8 charge for
"Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly". What is this for? I do not have it setup for MRV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

Its the monthly fee for Digital Video Recorder service. The multiroom video service fee is $3.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

Looking at my bills again I still have some questions before I contact D*. There is a $10 charge for "Advanced Receiver-HD Monthly" and then the $8 charge for
"Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly" which is explained. It is the $10 charge I am questioning.

I will most likely remove the $4.99 for "DIRECTV HD EXTRA PACK Monthly" which we hardly ever use. From what I see on D* website this is for getting 9 channels only. Is this correct? Now that I am retired I am cutting back on my expenses.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

The $10 is for HD. You might be able to get that eliminated by signing up for autopay.
Yes, the HD is a select group of channels. If you don't watch those, cancel.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

The $10 charge is a per account fee for HD service.

The extra pack is around 9 channels. Channels that are in HD that DirecTV does not carry in SD are in there.

#6 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

The $10 is for HD. You might be able to get that eliminated by signing up for autopay.
Yes, the HD is a select group of channels. If you don't watch those, cancel.

That is why the bill is higher. My free two years just ran out for using Autopay.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

If you have HD equipment, and you are not exclusively in an MPEG4 market that requires H/HR devices to receive your locals, you have to carry HD service at $10/month. If you have DVR, you have to carry the DVR service fee at $8/month. If you want the excellent channels in the HD Extra pack, you have to pay the $4.99 fee. If you want MRV, you have to pay the $3 for Multi-Room Viewing. There is the new fee structure called advanced receiver monthly that is $20 that includes HD, DVR, and MRV which for those playing at home makes it $1 less than each individually. The only charge you have mentioned that is voluntary if you have an HR34 is the HD Extra pack.

#8 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Boy, they sure nickel & dime this stuff. I find the DVR fee a stretch, though I suppose the hardware costs more so they need to "subsidize" its occasional replacement with a higher fee. A fee for multi-room viewing is a bit much, though, as that doesn't really represent an ongoing expense to DirecTV.

I'm glad my water and electricity utilities don't charge me for how many outlets and faucets I have, or how many I want to use simultaneously, or charge me extra for 220 volt service for my range and clothes dryer.

#9 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Boy, they sure nickel & dime this stuff. I find the DVR fee a stretch, though I suppose the hardware costs more so they need to "subsidize" its occasional replacement with a higher fee. A fee for multi-room viewing is a bit much, though, as that doesn't really represent an ongoing expense to DirecTV.

I'm glad my water and electricity utilities don't charge me for how many outlets and faucets I have, or how many I want to use simultaneously, or charge me extra for 220 volt service for my range and clothes dryer.

So then go to OTA channels???
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Water and electricity are pretty much considered necessities...you don't have to have HD sat tv....you can easily cut your bill back by not subscribing to HD, have fewer receivers installed, and take lower programming packages.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

It's the nature of the business. They also have to pay for various patent agreements etc for DVRs. It's a no win scenario in this case. They could roll the DVR fee into the normal plan (like they used to with Premiere), but then someone without a DVR will feel like they are paying for something they don't have.

Honestly, compared to some other providers, DirecTV does it better. I'd rather pay the per account DVR fee than a per DVR fee like can happen with cable. To me, that's really nickel and diming, and really starts adding up. That costs a lot more than DirecTV's per box fee. I think some charge $15 for each DVR.

#12 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

If you have HD equipment, and you are not exclusively in an MPEG4 market that requires H/HR devices to receive your locals, you have to carry HD service at $10/month. If you have DVR, you have to carry the DVR service fee at $8/month. If you want the excellent channels in the HD Extra pack, you have to pay the $4.99 fee. If you want MRV, you have to pay the $3 for Multi-Room Viewing. There is the new fee structure called advanced receiver monthly that is $20 that includes HD, DVR, and MRV which for those playing at home makes it $1 less than each individually. The only charge you have mentioned that is voluntary if you have an HR34 is the HD Extra pack.

So how does it work when you are in a MPEG 4 only market? Do they give you HD for free if you done want to pay for it? I didnt think they could restrict the HD channels and locals seperately.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#13 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,373 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

I didnt think they could restrict the HD channels and locals seperately.

Rest assured, they can.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

Rest assured, they can.

In a MPEG 4 only market? I am in a MPEG 4 only market. So if I call them today and say I dont want HD they will shut it off for all channels except for the local channels?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#15 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

I just looked, I think Im getting overcharged. I have one HR34 connected to my living room tv, then one H25 for the bedroom.

10/23 11/22 Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly 8.00

10/23 11/22 Additional TV - 1 Client 6.00

Fees

10/24 Additional TV 6.00

10/24 Primary TV 6.00

Those are my charges, with one $6 credit later in the bill for my Primary TV.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#16 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I think you're missing my point. I'm perfectly willing to pay for access to the channels cable and satellite companies offer. I'm enjoying my new DirecTV services. It's just the fees beyond the main package that get annoying.

I finally had to bail on my beloved pair of TiVos, and cable service, because those units couldn't do what I needed them to any longer. Most channels unavailable on my old SD one (only a few analogs channels still on the wire), and my HD one always struggled with its CableCARD and tended to lose channels in the lineup. Also upgraded my bedroom TV to HD finally. I liked the cost more, though: $2/month for the CableCARD, and no other ongoing monthly fees for having DVRs. No extra fees because I had a second television connected. (Granted, I got by on the second TV because it was an old analog model, and I didn't have a cable box on it.)

I bought lifetime service on both TiVo units years ago, and the effective monthly cost of what I paid up front over what would be a reasonably long life is quite tolerable. And I could transfer shows between them without paying a ridiculous monthly fee for the privilege of doing so.

So that's my frame of reference when I look at how the bill breaks down.

I realize DVRs are more complicated that regular tuners, and thus more expensive. I can see the rationale for that fee, even if it annoys me.

I'd rather buy my equipment outright, own it outright, and also not be charged a fee because a couple of devices happen to have access to each other over a coax or Ethernet network in my house and want to share recordings between rooms.

Most people here have home broadband internet. What if your provider wanted to charge more EVERY MONTH because you had the gall to print from your laptop in the kitchen to the desktop computer's printer in the basement? There is no burden on the internet provider to move print job data within my home; why should DirecTV care if I want to move shows around? I doubt it costs DirecTV more if I have interconnected DVRs and/or C31 clients versus a pair of independent DVRs or two regular tuners.

If the internet provider followed the cable/sat model, we'd have to pay for every internet-connected device in the home individually, beyond the basic package and the first "free" device. And you'd have to lease a router from them to manage all these connections. In some ways, I'm surprised they don't. Having more computers in a home will likely use more of the provider's finite bandwidth capacity. Having more tuners/DVRs in one's satellite service has no impact on their systems; receiving the signals is completely passive as far as DirecTV's burden is concerned.

I'd rather buy a cell phone for $600 instead of $200, have no fixed contract period, and have the bill be at least $20 less for the next two years because they're not subsidizing my hardware, too, but that ain't gonna happen.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#17 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

I just looked, I think Im getting overcharged. I have one HR34 connected to my living room tv, then one H25 for the bedroom.

10/23 11/22 Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly 8.00

10/23 11/22 Additional TV - 1 Client 6.00

Fees

10/24 Additional TV 6.00

10/24 Primary TV 6.00

Those are my charges, with one $6 credit later in the bill for my Primary TV.

Looks like they think you have an RVU client on your account. Logon to your account then select MY SERVICES and then the ADDITIONAL TV tab and see if it's showing any RVU clients, if yes I'd contact them and have them correct your account.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#18 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thanks RAD, what I was thinking. I sent them an email earlier. I guess I never noticed, the damn bill is like reading hieroglyphics with all my credits on it.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#19 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

So how does it work when you are in a MPEG 4 only market? Do they give you HD for free if you done want to pay for it? I didnt think they could restrict the HD channels and locals seperately.

An mpeg4 market gets you the HD gear at no additional cost over older SD equipment, it does not get you free HD channels.

#20 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

In a MPEG 4 only market? I am in a MPEG 4 only market. So if I call them today and say I dont want HD they will shut it off for all channels except for the local channels?

Yes, if you live in an MPEG 4 market and cancel HD Access they will lock your receivers down to Hide HD duplicates (so only SD channels show in the guide), and de-authorize all of the HD channels except for your locals (so your existing series links won't work anymore). I believe they also lock the box to a maximum of 480p, but I'm not positive about that, you might still be able to watch your locals in HD instead of downscaled to SD.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...