Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Monthly Charge??

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Yes, if you live in an MPEG 4 market and cancel HD Access they will lock your receivers down to Hide HD duplicates (so only SD channels show in the guide), and de-authorize all of the HD channels except for your locals (so your existing series links won't work anymore). I believe they also lock the box to a maximum of 480p, but I'm not positive about that, you might still be able to watch your locals in HD instead of downscaled to SD.

Why would they "lock" the box down to 480p when you can get your locals OTA in HD with an AM-21 even if you AREN'T in an MPEG4 local market? I verified this when a friend borrowed me his AM-21 and I hooked it up to my R22. I was able to record the locals in HD and play them back at 1080i.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

I sent CS an email yesterday that I had three $6 charges, and what my setup was. I got a reply saying I had two boxes and a client. I then replied and I explained that Ive never had a client, it was just an HR34 and one tv, then I added a H25 for my second tv in Aug. This is the reply I got:

Thank you for writing us back, and I am sorry to know that you are having problems with your bill.

Based on our records, there are 3 active equipment on your account, 1 HD DVR, 1 HD receiver, and 1 mini client. You are getting an automatic credit for the primary receiver, and a $6 fee for your mini client as well as $6 fee for the HD receiver.

Billing accuracy is very important to us. Rest assured that your account is being billed accordingly.

You gotta be kidding me, now they are telling me what I have. Why even have email support if you are going to put morons behind the PC. Shame on me for not calling and talking to the idiot on the phone...
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#23 OFFLINE   pearkel

pearkel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I too had a RVU client being incorrectly invoiced. I didn't catch until Sunday while paying my bill. I called in and the lady said she would drop the receiver and credit my account for the over charge for the last 5 months. Nothing happened on my online account so i called back in yesterday and was sent to a different department who correctly dropped the receiver and credited back charges. Even though it took two calls, happy about the way they corrected the mistake.

#24 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

I was just irritated with that statement to "rest assured" that they were on top of it.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI

#25 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

E-mail correspondence is really not the way to handle a billing discrepency...

#26 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

Well maybe they shouldnt offer "billing" as one of the options.

Once again, morons. What they told me is they completely ignored my initial explanation, when they told me I had 3.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI

#27 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Yes, if you live in an MPEG 4 market and cancel HD Access they will lock your receivers down to Hide HD duplicates (so only SD channels show in the guide), and de-authorize all of the HD channels except for your locals (so your existing series links won't work anymore). I believe they also lock the box to a maximum of 480p, but I'm not positive about that, you might still be able to watch your locals in HD instead of downscaled to SD.

EXACTLY how it works; so if you do NOT pay for HD access, you still get all your locals, but the ones put up in HD only, are downrezzed (& locked down) to 480p.

Why would they "lock" the box down to 480p when you can get your locals OTA in HD with an AM-21 even if you AREN'T in an MPEG4 local market?

Uh, because of the fact they expect you to pay THEM, for the "HD technology infrastructure" to transmit the locals in HD - regardless of the fact that in MPEG4 areas, they ONLY transmit (most of) them HD.

Bottom line, YES they definitely DO this, sorry.

I verified this when a friend borrowed me his AM-21 and I hooked it up to my R22. I was able to record the locals in HD and play them back at 1080i.

Well when you are using an OTA antenna to recieve locals, then you are NOT using THEIR infrastructure now, are you...& since there really isn't an "authorization process" for channels thru the AM21, then when you tune the receiver to an OTA channel, those said channels are then NOT locked to 480p. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...