Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New dish mount?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

I've noticed on 2 new homes here in the neighborhood that they have installed DirecTV with very (relatively) short mounts. The pipes are maybe 6-8 inches high and don't have a bend and no additional braces are there.

It gets windy here so I'm thinking these low mounts might be better than the standard dish mount up high.

Does anyone know if this is a new install kit for DirecTv or something that the contractor might have and where I could get one?

Thanks!
C'mon people, it's just TV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Well I must have been searching the wrong terms, but I found the right combination. It's the "stubby" mount or Low Pro Easy Mount. Makes the dish much closer to the roof and looks much better (IMHO).

Edited by employee3, 09 October 2012 - 03:44 AM.

#3 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Yep;

Been out a while now ...

Attached Files

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Yep, standard mount in a lot of cases. Easier to install, cheaper to make.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

I had a long J Tube mount. In June when they put in my new HD DVR and SWM they relocated closer to the main power to the house and installed a Stuby mount.
I like it. Close to the roof, no braces.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:25 PM

I don't think we will see any of them in this area.

#7 OFFLINE   employee3

employee3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for the additional information. Is there any fit difference between the WNC and PBI or is it just the pivot that's different?

#8 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the additional information. Is there any fit difference between the WNC and PBI or is it just the pivot that's different?

From everything I've learned, just the pivot;

All other characteristics are the same.
----------------------------------------------------

I did have an initial concern about the stubby (or "Easy") mount when it appeared though in the area of possible increased rain fade problems.

With the dish being much lower to the roof this way, it could receive additional rain attenuation over the normal due to rain drops splashing up from the roof.

In fact one poster a while back had this exact problem with a custom made short mount from an installation company like this 8 inch mast one from SATPRO ATLANTA Posted Image

And had to change it out for a regular mast.

But I guess there really haven't been any such widespread problems with rain splashing with the stubby mount.

#9 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

I got the older mount with 2 monopoles on my install last month. Never knew there was anything but that tbh.

#10 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

I got the older mount with 2 monopoles on my install last month. Never knew there was anything but that tbh.

Stubbies are less common in the northern states due to concerns of snow build up. Up here we only put them in on a roof sloping down to the south.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#11 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

Stubbies are less common in the northern states due to concerns of snow build up. Up here we only put them in on a roof sloping down to the south.

I figured as much. Thanks for confirming.

#12 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:21 PM

Technically all roof mounts are supposed to only be done on south facing roofs.

#13 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

I am located about 10 miles off the Gulf of Mexico.
My stubby is mounted close to the edge , over the soffit area, of a North facing roof.
The pitch is 4-1/2 in 12 and the elevation for the dish is about 55 degrees.
I don't see that the rain could ever bounce that high off the roof ( my roof ) to get between the LNB and the dish.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stubby 1.jpg

Edited by jimmie57, 18 July 2014 - 10:20 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#14 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

Technically all roof mounts are supposed to only be done on south facing roofs.

Mine is on a north facing roof.

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

I find rain fade is more related to cloud density than the actual rainfall overhead.  Most of our thunderstorms come from west to southwest and we generally get rain fade before it's even raining here.  And conversely, it can be raining like hell here with no rain fade.  I've seen 19.5 inches per hour on my weather station.

When you consider that the dish is looking at a roughly 45 degree here through miles of saturated clouds 40-50000 feet high, it far outweighs the local rainfall.

• jimmie57 likes this

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...