Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Daisy Chain SWS-4s

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   botivo

botivo

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

Is it possible to daisy chain two SWS-4s? I have a SL-3 SWM LNB with a SWS-4 mounted outside next to the dish. Three RG-6 coax cables come into the house through conduit. Another RG-6 coax goes to the garage through a seperate conduit. (That's why the SWS-4 is mounted at the dish.) I want to add another receiver in the house. I would like to accomplish this without fishing another coax through the conduit.

If it is possible to daisy chain two SWS-4s? If so, how do you power insert the second SWS-4?

Thanks.

Edited by botivo, 09 October 2012 - 08:19 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Yes, you can but the signal will be quite a bit more attenuated.
Splitters are passive, so no need to worry about power, just dont daisy chain the second one off the power passing port of the main one.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

Sure you can do it. It might be helpful to know how long your cable runs are, to know if it is wise.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

Short answer is to use a 2-way splitter.
Your 4-way + a 2-way will be close to what an 8-way has for loss, but two 4-ways may be too much loss.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   botivo

botivo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I have 30 ft of perfect vision RG-6 quad shield coax (3 GHz) between the dish and the house head end. From the head end to the receivers no more than 20-30 additional feet of a lesser grade Commscope RG-6.

...On another note. The voltage at the dish from the PI-21 is 15 volts. I was surprised to see it drop that much over 30 feet.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:36 AM

Is the cable from the PI to the dish solid copper core?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   botivo

botivo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yes. Solid Copper Conductor Wire and I'm using Perma-seal and T&B compression connectors.

#8 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

The voltage at the dish from the PI-21 is 15 volts.

What is the voltage measured at the PI-21?

Assuming that you are measuring the voltage by placing your meter probes on an unconnected RG-6 fitting at the dish end of the cable, there shouldn't be any difference between solid copper conductor and copper-coated steel cable, since there isn't any load on the voltage to drop it down.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...