Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mounting bracket? for dish.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm expecting to have a new roof installed soon and had seen somewhere before on here about a mounting plate that can be attached to your roofing boards and flashed over with shingles to create a platform for the dish to mount to. I'm unable to find the item though and don't recall what it was called.

To avoid having holes drilled into my brand new roof can someone point me in the right direction for this item or something similar?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

What you are thinking of is the Commdeck I would use it myself if my dish was roof mounted
My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

What you are thinking of is the Commdeck I would use it myself if my dish was roof mounted

Thank you kindly. Have you seen these in action before or know someone that has one? There is only a single review on Amazon for the product.

#4 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

No, unfortunately I do not have personal experience with the Commdeck. Anything I have read about it was positive, it does not surprise me that there was not much info on Amazon as this is much more of a trade/builders product than a consumer product. If you do a search here or in the installers forum I think you will find a few threads
My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

I have an order in for a RetroDeck as none of the wiring is in the attic to warrant the Commdeck. The roofing company is going to be removing the dish and installing the Retro, then then I'm having D* handle the reinstall of dish and alignment.

Another question I have is the support poles on the dish currently. With the Retro, do these still need to be used, or can I get by without them?

Also there doesn't really seem to be much information on these things in use. I see a lot of "I'd use it if...." or "if I had to do it all over again" but I don't see anyone vouching for the product from first hand experience. In addition the threads all seem to be older.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,694 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

Since you are up north where it snows I do not know if they would install one of the new "Stubby" installations or not. I have one of these installed. The pole is only 11" tall and it does not use the braces.
If your roof that you are mounting to is facing South there is a good chance that they would install one of these.
If it is facing north like mine is, that puts the LNB a lot closer to the roof and subject to snow piling up on it. Being close to the Gulf of Mexico I do not have snow here so it is not a consideration.

Edited by jimmie57, 14 October 2012 - 08:39 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

I have an order in for a RetroDeck as none of the wiring is in the attic to warrant the Commdeck. The roofing company is going to be removing the dish and installing the Retro, then then I'm having D* handle the reinstall of dish and alignment.

Another question I have is the support poles on the dish currently. With the Retro, do these still need to be used, or can I get by without them?

Also there doesn't really seem to be much information on these things in use. I see a lot of "I'd use it if...." or "if I had to do it all over again" but I don't see anyone vouching for the product from first hand experience. In addition the threads all seem to be older.

If you are installing a Slimline, the support arms are required. There are brackets available from Commdeck for this. https://www-rstcente...rder_view.phtml

#8 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

I had ordered the clip things for the support arms just in case. For $15 I wasn't worried about them being wasted if they weren't needed. I've seen houses in my area that don't have the support arms on their dish, but I'm not sure what dish they have etc.

My house faces the South and my roof has a single ridge that runs East-West. My dish is mounted on the rear, North face of the house at the edge of the roof facing back up the slope towards the South. I've never had any major snow fade or build up issues in the 5 years I've had the setup. I do believe once I had some frost and wet snow issue, but as soon as it warmed up that day it was fine. All of that is a moot point if specs require the poles to be installed due to specs and guidelines for the hardware I have.

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,220 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

If you are installing a Slimline, the support arms are required. There are brackets available from Commdeck for this. https://www-rstcente...rder_view.phtml

Specifically here and called "L-Style Strut Clips" for the Slimline support monopoles;

http://www.rstcenter...strutclip.phtml

EDIT: Oh, see you found and ordered them already ... :)

#10 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

Just wanted to update since I really haven't seen too many people posting about personal experiences with the product. Mine is scheduled for delivery today, I'll post pics and thoughts once I have in hand.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...