Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV And CBS Agree On Carriage Deal

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

Talk about early??..the norm these days is that you see a channel ticker scrolling across the bottom of the screen warning of a pull..now we have an early agreement??

It was pretty much the consensus of the media and experts that in the Viacom and Tribune standoffs, those companies LOST big time. They lost millions in advertising dollars, and didn't get the price they wanted (or in the case of Viacom, they didn't get EPIX rolled in as well).

Companies like CBS must have seen this happening, and figured it is better to either set a realistic price, and/or negotiate early. With these kinds of disputes, subscribers will pretty much NOT switch in the first two weeks. Those two weeks however that they are black on DirecTV, the media companies WILL lose millions of dollars.

I think CBS figured out that even 1 day of no networks on CBS means they are losing money, and they have seen the writing on the wall regarding the tough negotiation stance of DirecTV.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,614 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

I pretty much think the early negotiations was about football advertisement, in conjunction with nfl sunday ticket CBS channels,because that is the big driver for their money's worth

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#23 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

I received email tonight from Optimum (formerly Cablevision) that CBS is joining ABC, NBC and Fox for On Demand viewing the day after new episodes air. I don't recall CBS being available before, but it's good to know CBS is even allowing this...

Would be nice if DirecTV added that too. I can't stand that if I miss an episode on CBS and don't notice it for a week or two, it is not even available on the CBS website.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#24 OFFLINE   elbyj

elbyj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

So when are we going to see CBS On Demand? No where in any of the comments did someone mention "WHEN" and "WHAT CHANNEL"?

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

So when are we going to see CBS On Demand? No where in any of the comments did someone mention "WHEN" and "WHAT CHANNEL"?

Well it only took DirecTV about six months to get a full slate I go product from when it was first mentioned they would, sooooo.......

#26 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:49 PM

For the record... the article never stated that CBS On Demand would even be coming.

The mention of "streaming" being an unknown factor brought up the thought of VOD, but the mention of streaming could easily have referred to Showtime being available for streaming outside the home...

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...