Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 (HMC) = Genie

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

Just going over some materials and apparently the HR34 is going to be renamed "Genie" for the general public. I previously thought it was just a feature of the HR34, but no, the device itself will now be referred to as Genie.

Is there a worse name. Hopper and Joey has friendly connotation. Genie sounds like.... someone was desparate for a name that was easy to remember and wasn't creative enough to come up with something better. Last I checked the HR34 didn't grant wishes.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Just going over some materials and apparently the HR34 is going to be renamed "Genie" for the general public. I previously thought it was just a feature of the HR34, but no, the device itself will now be referred to as Genie.

Is there a worse name. Hopper and Joey has friendly connotation. Genie sounds like.... someone was desparate for a name that was easy to remember and wasn't creative enough to come up with something better. Last I checked the HR34 didn't grant wishes.

Well, no, but it's also associated with opening garage doors....:D

Fortunately, whatever the name, it'll work the same. (both + and -)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,974 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

I'm confused by it because unlike Dish's "Hopper" and "Joey" for two distinct units, "Genie" is only a single term which appeared after the C31 was officially released.

Therefore does "Genie" refer to just the HR34, or to the combo system of the HR34 when paired with one or more C31s?

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

HR34 = Genie
C31 = Genie Client
Feature = Genie Recommends

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

HR34 = Genie
C31 = Genie Client

OK, thanks;

That clears it up :)

Irrespective as to whether the name "Genie" was a good choice or not of course ... :sure:

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Oh well ...

OTOH, just saw this released in a 10/9/12 Genie FAQ DIRECTV Tech Tip;

What is Genie?

Genie is the trademarked, external marketing name for the entire HMC system, including both the Advanced
Whole Home DVR (commonly known as the HMC Server or HR34) and either RVU‐capable televisions or DIRECTV
Clients (such as the C31) that are installed with it.
Genie also references unique menu functionally that is available
only with a Genie installation, such as Genie Recommends, which will recommend and even record programming
based on the user’s preferences.

Sign ... confusion over the true meaning of "Genie" reigns again ... :rolleyes:

Thanks anyhow though spartanstew

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Oh well ...

OTOH, just saw this released in a 10/9/12 Genie FAQ DIRECTV Tech Tip;

What is Genie?

Sign ... confusion over the true meaning of "Genie" reigns again ... :rolleyes:

Thanks anyhow though spartanstew

How does this confuse you? Spartanstew was right. The HR34 is "Genie", the C31 is a "Genie Client" and the feature is called "Genie Recommends".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

How does this confuse you? Spartanstew was right. The HR34 is "Genie", the C31 is a "Genie Client" and the feature is called "Genie Recommends".

Because the ATS team in Denver, CO. just stated in a latest Tech Tip that "Genie" is a trademark name for the whole system, HR34 and RVU clients combined as I quoted above.

Not just the HR34.

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

It's like when they started saying "Connected Home." What is connected home? Is it whole-home dvr? Yes. on-demand? yes. iPhone app? yes.

It's all of the above, and it's also the signal that travels over the cable that allows all of it to work.

I'm not going to speak for DIRECTV but I don't see any need to be confused. The whole system is called Genie, which is better than saying "The Hopper-Joey System". Genie includes the Genie HD DVR with Genie Recommends and the Genie Client.

It's like saying the iPhone has iOS, iPhoto and iMovie. All those i's don't confuse you, they help you feel like everything is going to work together.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,970 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

Agree with Stuart. There's the Genie DVR or just Genie, because without it you can't have a Genie environment. Then there's the Genie Client (C31), and there's a feature on the Genie DVR, that's accessible from the Genie clients as well, that is called Genie Recommends.

It also all plays nice with H2x and HR2x systems.

Great stuff.

It's nice to see the beast DVR have a cool name.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#11 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,806 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Because the ATS team in Denver, CO. just stated in a latest Tech Tip that "Genie" is a trademark name for the whole system, HR34 and RVU clients combined as I quoted above.

Not just the HR34.

The "system" is based on the HR34, aka "Genie". In order to use the "system" an any room other than where the "system" is you must have a client. The client is the C31, aka "Genie Client". And the "recommendation" feature is called "Genie Recommends". It's clearly labled in the UI.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#12 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

So how do I get it to open the garage door?

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#13 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Do we all get three wishes?
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#14 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

DirecTV wants the HR34 to be referred to as "Genie". "HR34" will be reserved for technical documentation and discussion.

HR34 = Genie
C31 = Genie Client

This is the correct naming.

Sometimes I wish someone from Dish would get involved in things like this. DirecTV always seems to find a way to make things confusing.

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

The "system" is based on the HR34, aka "Genie". In order to use the "system" an any room other than where the "system" is you must have a client. The client is the C31, aka "Genie Client". And the "recommendation" feature is called "Genie Recommends". It's clearly labled in the UI.

But shouldn't it be said then that "Genie" is really a system term, comprising a "Genie HMC Server?" (the HR34 as the main part), "Genie Client(s)," and the optional "Genie Recommends" feature located on the "Genie Server?" ;)

Anyhow, OK I get the point;

Its all about semantics where it appears that Genie specifically refers to the HR34 HMC, but loosely as an umbrella term for the whole system I guess.

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

??

The naming schema couldn't be much clearer.

[I like it, too, though that and two bucks will get me a small cuppa.]

Edit- my comment was on smitbret's post.

Edited by Laxguy, 10 October 2012 - 01:56 PM.
clarity.

#17 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

But shouldn't it be said then that "Genie" is really a system term, comprising a "Genie HMC Server?" (the HR34 as the main part), "Genie Client(s)," and the optional "Genie Recommends" feature located on the "Genie Server?" ;)

Its all about semantics where it appears that Genie specifically refers to the HR34 HMC, but loosely as an umbrella term for the whole system I guess.

I just know that the training I just went over says that Genie is the public name for HR34.

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

Yeahhhhh......

You could call it a Genie DVR or Genie Server if that bothers you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

I just know that the training I just went over says that Genie is the public name for HR34.

Thanks for the correct info on that. It makes a lot of sens to me, and I hope not many trip over it. (in either sense of the phrase!)

#20 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

What training are you looking at? Everything I have seen directly from DirecTV has called the system "Genie" and the HR34 "Advanced Whole Home DVR".

I suppose it doesn't really matter. I know what the customer means when they use TiVo in place of a DVR, or what CSRs mean when they call the PI the SWM Box.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

spam firewall