Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 (HMC) = Genie

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Don't forget other 'server' [HR44] is coming - gamma testing undergoing (based on a fact of spooling FW for it).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

Don't forget other 'server' [HR44] is coming - gamma testing undergoing (based on a fact of spooling FW for it).

A new model coming down the pipe doesn't change much; especially if it only adds the capability for one more client session or more factory-installed storage.

Many of those who lust for one or more additional HR34 haven't expressed much interest in clients; their interests don't seem to require a more powerful server.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#63 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

I believe what they are talking about is trying to get a C31 client to work on a system with two HR34 servers. I think there are problems like it only being able to see one HR34 at a time, and in order to switch which HR34 it sees you pretty much have to delete the device from your account and then add it again, and I think a CSR has to do it.

This seems more like a business decision than a practical necessity.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#64 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

I received an e-mail about a "special offer" and a phone number for more information. The CSR said I could get a "whole home" system and installation for free and would only pay $3 per month for the service. He said what he was offering did not involve a new receiver, just networking and installation, but I could purchase a Genie for $599.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#65 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

I believe what they are talking about is trying to get a C31 client to work on a system with two HR34 servers. I think there are problems like it only being able to see one HR34 at a time, and in order to switch which HR34 it sees you pretty much have to delete the device from your account and then add it again, and I think a CSR has to do it. Obviously that is not something that DirecTV wants to have to happen, so they get around it for now by only allowing one HR34 on an account. That way the C31 will only have one HR34 to talk to and it avoids those issues.

My guess is once they figure out how to make the C31 work with multiple RVU servers easily (HR34s are the only ones out now), then DirecTV will consider allowing more than one HR34 per account.

I do think they have to work on this though, because eventually I believe we will start seeing stuff like RVU Blu-Ray players/changers, etc that can also work as a server. That means that the C31 will have to be able to talk to both the HR34 and the Blu-Ray player and switch back and forth easily.

Thank you, I hadn't read about that issue yet. That explains a lot.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#66 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,862 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

A new model coming down the pipe doesn't change much; especially if it only adds the capability for one more client session or more factory-installed storage.

Many of those who lust for one or more additional HR34 haven't expressed much interest in clients; their interests don't seem to require a more powerful server.

Really ? Then you lost a grip of the thread.

We're talking about artificial constrain of mutli HMCs setups with one model HR34 now.
I'm pointing: there will be other HMC model soon, so it will pop up more questions about multiple HMC devices in one account.

#67 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

This seems more like a business decision than a practical necessity.

You'd be wrong.

#68 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

I believe what they are talking about is trying to get a C31 client to work on a system with two HR34 servers. I think there are problems like it only being able to see one HR34 at a time, and in order to switch which HR34 it sees you pretty much have to delete the device from your account and then add it again, and I think a CSR has to do it. Obviously that is not something that DirecTV wants to have to happen, so they get around it for now by only allowing one HR34 on an account. That way the C31 will only have one HR34 to talk to and it avoids those issues.

My guess is once they figure out how to make the C31 work with multiple RVU servers easily (HR34s are the only ones out now), then DirecTV will consider allowing more than one HR34 per account.

I do think they have to work on this though, because eventually I believe we will start seeing stuff like RVU Blu-Ray players/changers, etc that can also work as a server. That means that the C31 will have to be able to talk to both the HR34 and the Blu-Ray player and switch back and forth easily.

:)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...