Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My HR20 gets an OTA channel that doesn't exist!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

In Boise OTA, channel 2 is the CBS affiliate and they carry the CW on subchannel 2-2 in SD. If you watch via straight antenna, 2-1 is the main station with CBS programming and 2-2 has CW programming. If you watch on DirecTV, 2-1 is the CW channel in HD and 2-2 is the CW channel in SD. Channel 2 via satellite is the CBS channel in HD. I guess this is good in that I can see the CW in HD which normally I wouldn't be able to do but this seems bizarre that I am getting an OTA station that doesn't exist anywhere else.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Your local CW channel evidently has run a fiber feed to DirecTV's location and allowed them to send out the CW channel in HD even though they don't broadcast it. They likely are providing your CBS affiliate in the same fashion. That means DirecTV doesn't have to use an antenna to capture the OTA signal and send that out to you over the satellite, they get to just take the channel off the fiber and send it out to you. This usually results in picture quality equal to or greater than what you would get OTA. It also allows them to do stuff like giving you HD subchannels even if they can't broadcast them OTA, sounds like that is what they are doing for you.

You should consider yourself lucky.

I can't even get my local CW from DirecTV because it is a subchannel here, and DirecTV doesn't carry any of our subchannels. I have to use an AM21 and get it OTA instead. Luckily for me by going OTA I am able to get the CW out of the Quad Cities DMA too, which is in HD, so I watch it instead of my local CW in SD. Now that Smallville has ended I don't watch too much on the channel anymore though.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#3 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

In Boise OTA, channel 2 is the CBS affiliate and they carry the CW on subchannel 2-2 in SD. If you watch via straight antenna, 2-1 is the main station with CBS programming and 2-2 has CW programming. If you watch on DirecTV, 2-1 is the CW channel in HD and 2-2 is the CW channel in SD. Channel 2 via satellite is the CBS channel in HD. I guess this is good in that I can see the CW in HD which normally I wouldn't be able to do but this seems bizarre that I am getting an OTA station that doesn't exist anywhere else.

I don't understand what you mean "doesn't exist anywhere else"

I am in the same DMA with an HR20, HR21 & HR23 and at as of last Sunday the guide on all of my DVRs shows:

2: Directv HD Feed of CBS channel
2.1: OTA HD Feed of CBS channel
2.2: OTA SD Feed of CW channel
3: Directv HD Feed of CW channel (from San Diego, I believe)

My problem with this CBS station is the terrible picture quality. I don't know if it because of sharing bandwidth with the sub channel or what, but for the last two years, I pray my football team is not broadcast on channel 2 so I can watch them on NFLST. The pixelization and macro blocking is directly related to their broadcast and not the receiving equipment, which renders the picture nearly unwatchable.

#4 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

I don't understand what you mean "doesn't exist anywhere else"

I am in the same DMA with an HR20, HR21 & HR23 and at as of last Sunday the guide on all of my DVRs shows:

2: Directv HD Feed of CBS channel
2.1: OTA HD Feed of CBS channel
2.2: OTA SD Feed of CW channel
3: Directv HD Feed of CW channel (from San Diego, I believe)

My problem with this CBS station is the terrible picture quality. I don't know if it because of sharing bandwidth with the sub channel or what, but for the last two years, I pray my football team is not broadcast on channel 2 so I can watch them on NFLST. The pixelization and macro blocking is directly related to their broadcast and not the receiving equipment, which renders the picture nearly unwatchable.

Tune to the actual channels, my guide says what yours does but the actual channels are quite different. See if 2 on satellite = 2-1. And to Beerstalker, that would be cool if what you are saying is true, but if so wouldn't my 2-1 CW HD channel be coming from satellite, not OTA?

#5 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

Okay, now I see what you mean

2 & 2.1 are the main CBS feed

2.2 & 3 are the CW feed (both are local), however channel 3 "doesn't exist". I think that in the past that was the CW from San Diego.

#6 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,231 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

It appears your receiving this Low Power station http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KYUU-LP

KYUU-LP is the CW-affiliated television station for Idaho's Treasure Valley. It broadcasts a low-powered analog signal on UHF channel 35 from a transmitter at the Bogus Basin ski area summit in unincorporated Boise County. The station can also be seen on Cable One channel 21. Owned by Fisher Communications, KYUU is sister to CBS affiliate KBOI-TV and the two outlets share studios on North 16th Street in downtown Boise. Due to its low-powered status, this station does not currently offer a digital signal of its own. Therefore, one is provided in high definition on KBOI's second digital subchannel (UHF channel 28.2 or virtual channel 2.2 via PSIP) from the same transmitter.

On September 12, 2011, KYUU-LP became Boise's CW affiliate, with Retro Television Network programming moving to a subchannel on KIVI-TV

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#7 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

And to Beerstalker, that would be cool if what you are saying is true, but if so wouldn't my 2-1 CW HD channel be coming from satellite, not OTA?

You never said anything about having a AM21 and getting stuff OTA, so I assumed this 2.1 channel was coming from DirecTV over the satellite. If you are talking about an OTA channel being received by an AM21 then yes something strange is going on here.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#8 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

You never said anything about having a AM21 and getting stuff OTA, so I assumed this 2.1 channel was coming from DirecTV over the satellite. If you are talking about an OTA channel being received by an AM21 then yes something strange is going on here.

He doesn't have a AM21. In the title it states he has a HR20. This receiver (which I also have) contains an ota tuner. The ota channels it receives are controlled by D*.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Doh, completely missed that in the title :lol: .
-by Jack Handy

#10 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Coolman's reply is right on. About a month ago, channel 2 did a switchero to a "new transmitter" and we had to rescan the channels. I have an HR20 with its OTA tuner, and after rescanning, I noted channel 35 showing up in the on-screen channel list (which was then carrying the CW content, and 2.2 was absent). Shortly thereafter, I noted the list changed and 2.2 replaced channel 35. Last night I looked, and it (2.2) is indeed carrying HD content. I think it took a few days for DTV to fix their listing after the change took place, but now it appears correct.

Edited by RBTO, 12 October 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

Coolman's reply is right on. About a month ago, channel 2 did a switchero to a "new transmitter" and we had to rescan the channels. I have an HR20 with its OTA tuner, and after rescanning, I noted channel 35 showing up in the on-screen channel list (which was then carrying the CW content, and 2.2 was absent). Shortly thereafter, I noted the list changed and 2.2 replaced channel 35. Last night I looked, and it (2.2) is indeed carrying HD content. I think it took a few days for DTV to fix their listing after the change took place, but now it appears correct.

Thanks for the info, I guess I need to do a rescan tonight since I am still getting the CW HD on 2-1 OTA. There must have been frequency remappings or some crazy thing going on. I hate to think of the quality if 2-1 and 2-2 are both HD and sharing the same bandwidth, I haven't had time to watch either of these channels in the last week.

#12 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Things just get weirder. I just did a rescan of OTA channels and now 2-1 is KBOI HD like it should be. 2-2 is KYUU SD and KYUU HD is now completely gone! Is there any way to get it back, I guess I should have left well enough alone.

#13 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Things just get weirder. I just did a rescan of OTA channels and now 2-1 is KBOI HD like it should be. 2-2 is KYUU SD and KYUU HD is now completely gone! Is there any way to get it back, I guess I should have left well enough alone.

Boise is one of the peculiar Markets.
Boise Locals get rebroadcast on Portland Spotbeams, presumably because of the unusal shape of the DMA and inclusion of some west central Oregon counties in Boise DMA.
Remapping occurs and some HD channels have been unlocked in certain situations. On the TPN map i don't see any *TEST channels in Boise DMA but some kind of remapping as things changed made have given you an HD feed temporarily.

Doctor j

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

Boise is one of the peculiar Markets.
Boise Locals get rebroadcast on Portland Spotbeams, presumably because of the unusal shape of the DMA and inclusion of some west central Oregon counties in Boise DMA.
Remapping occurs and some HD channels have been unlocked in certain situations. On the TPN map i don't see any *TEST channels in Boise DMA but some kind of remapping as things changed made have given you an HD feed temporarily.

Doctor j

The TS is dealing with an abnormality involving OTA channel reception by the ATSC tuners on an HR20 HD-DVR, not via the satellite feed. :)

#15 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

That's what happened in my case. Check and you should have channel 35 with the CW on it. In my instance, the list fixed itself several days later (not sure of the exact time it took). Now it's as is should be and 2.2 has HD listings.

#16 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:04 AM

That's what happened in my case. Check and you should have channel 35 with the CW on it. In my instance, the list fixed itself several days later (not sure of the exact time it took). Now it's as is should be and 2.2 has HD listings.

Is it actually HD? I did another rescan yesterday of both my HR20 and my TV with the antenna connected directly to it and finally can see what is going on. OTA on my TV I get 2-1 CBS HD, 2-2 CW SD and 35-1 CW HD. My HR20 correctly shows 2-1 and 2-2 but has no listing for 35 at all. Does 35-1 show up in the guide eventually?

I am rather annoyed with D* right now, when I was looking at my TV with antenna connected to it, I saw there was a 6-3 and several other channels that have never showed up in my guide. Why can't D*'s OTA tuner be a real tuner and show all available channels?

#17 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Is it actually HD? I did another rescan yesterday of both my HR20 and my TV with the antenna connected directly to it and finally can see what is going on. OTA on my TV I get 2-1 CBS HD, 2-2 CW SD and 35-1 CW HD. My HR20 correctly shows 2-1 and 2-2 but has no listing for 35 at all. Does 35-1 show up in the guide eventually?

Right after I did the scan, 35-1 showed up with the CW content. I can't remember how long after that (and I may have done a reset of the receiver in the meantime), I noticed 2-2 with the CW content and 35-1 was gone from the listing. It appears that 2-2 content is HD (for those portions listed as HD in the guide), but I can't absolutely confirm that.
Also, I can't remember the exact process, but you have some control over what stations are shown in the list. It's a process right after you scan, where you check off the channels and subchannels you want to see (an edit menu, I believe). That might get some of the extra subchannels for you that you're missing???

Protected By... spam firewall...And...