Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

C31 for sale at SS

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

Way too expensive. At max, for $100 more (likely a lot less), you can have a full blown HD DVR with its own tuners.

Actually HDDVR's are $199.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:27 PM

So does buying a C31 involve the 24 month commitment? The SS site says "DIRECTV requires a 24 month (lease) commitment on all activated receivers", but this thing doesn't quack like a receiver in my eyes. If it adds the 24 months, my opinion would be to say heck with it and get a DVR instead. This thing should be treated like an AM21, not a receiver.

#23 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:46 AM

Windows Media Center extenders, like the Linksys DMA2100, were $400 each when they came out. $99 seems like a decent price point for what it does.

#24 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

Windows Media Center extenders, like the Linksys DMA2100, were $400 each when they came out. $99 seems like a decent price point for what it does.

But they had 4 times the functionality, if the price was half what it is I would consider one, but not at 100.00, for that I will stick with my DVR's

#25 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Actually HDDVR's are $199.

I don't understand your point.

$99 (the price at SS) + $100 (the "at most" additional money it would cost for an HD DVR as quoted from my prior post) = $199.

So, for "at most" $100 more, I can have an HD DVR, with two of its own tuners and storage, hence, IMO, the C31 is priced way too high.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

I don't understand your point.

$99 (the price at SS) + $100 (the "at most" additional money it would cost for an HD DVR as quoted from my prior post) = $199.

So, for "at most" $100 more, I can have an HD DVR, with two of its own tuners and storage, hence, IMO, the C31 is priced way too high.

Doesn't matter - wahooq always will side with the provider. Perhaps his engagement...

#27 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Exactly. The Directv company stooges have been told to push this disaster called C31. It is a profit goldmine for Directv in that there is no tuner or hard drive in it and costs very little to produce. Read though the threads on DBS lately and these Directv company stooges swoop down on anybody who dares say anything negative about the C31. I think that Directv is presently the best TV service out there but they are not my god nor will I ever be their fanboy. It is simple arithmetic. Even at double the price a DVR with a tuner and hard drive is a far better deal for the customer. A couple of other things to think about. Directv makes a lot of profit off of PPV. It is in their interest to limit tuners and hard drive space so you will keep downloading movies. Also, pretty neat trick to charge you $6 a month for a box that has no ability of its own but simply rides on another box that you already pay a monthly fee on. I think you call that double dipping.

Edited by macfan601, 11 October 2012 - 09:31 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,832 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

To people having a temper tantrum over the C31, like macfan: Maybe you need to realize the C31, like every other box isn't for everyone. It's an OPTION and no one is forcing it on you. Not everyone needs a tuner or DVR in every room.

How is it a disaster? It's basically the same thing as Dish's Joey...is that a disaster, too?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#29 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

I'll agree that the C31 is priced too high when compared to a HD receiver or HD DVR, I think a $50 price point would have been better. I also agree that the $6/client fee is also to high when it would be charged for the 4th through 8th clients since only three clients can be active at a time to a HR34.

Where I'll disagree is with your C31 is a disaster statement. I replaced a couple HR24's that were in bedroom environments with C31's due to the C31's don't produce any noise. Even the quietest HD DVR will have some noise from it due to the cooling fan or hard drive noise, the C31 totally elimiates that. It's also more effecient from a power use standpoint, yea I know we're not talking big numbers here but every little bit helps.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#30 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

Directv is not forcing the C31 on you yet but all you have to do is look at the receiver choices they are limiting new customers to and you can see where they are headed.

#31 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Directv is not forcing the C31 on you yet but all you have to do is look at the receiver choices they are limiting new customers to and you can see where they are headed.

I just went to the DIRECTV web site and played new customer. I selected the HR34/Genie and while it gave me the option of the C31's it still listed all the other receivers as available, you just have to pay extra for them. So if you want something else you can still get it, just have to pay for it.

#32 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

... Also, pretty neat trick to charge you $6 a month for a box that has no ability of its own but simply rides on another box that you already pay a monthly fee on. I think you call that double dipping.

While agreeing its overpriced, but not necessarily with everything else you wrote, I don't think your claim above is so much of a "neat trick" by DIRECTV as it is an obvious necessity.

Since DIRECTV would be shooting themselves in the foot by destroying the monthly lease/mirror pricing structure for their current HD receivers and DVRs by the crush of HR34 customers with additional receivers trading in those additional boxes for C31s to save on the $6.00/mo. per box charge on their bills.

#33 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Don't forget about the energy savings associated with using one dvr and multiple clients, it may not be a huge amount for any normal home but we all benefit as a Nation.

You can still use other receivers if you would like as mentioned but new customers will probably be happy with the new "norm".

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#34 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

Perhaps I didn't write what I said clearly. I should have said look at the new customers offers. You kind of corrected it for me though as you wrote if you color outside of the lines of the new customer agreement it is going to cost you.

#35 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Please keep the thread friendly and let's not resort to name calling. I understand that some may not like the server/client setup and nobody is forcing that on you.

those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#36 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

If you already have the Genie (HMC34), does adding a C31 extend your 2 year committment?

HR34-700 - owned
HR24-500 - owned
H24 - owned
Nomad

#37 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Don't forget about the energy savings associated with using one dvr and multiple clients, it may not be a huge amount for any normal home but we all benefit as a Nation.

You can still use other receivers if you would like as mentioned but new customers will probably be happy with the new "norm".

LOL, Scott, respectfully, please don't ever put me in the category of a normal technology customer. The norm, as you put it, would be my 90 year old mother. I sure hope I am way beyond that.

#38 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,832 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Perhaps I didn't write what I said clearly. I should have said look at the new customers offers. You kind of corrected it for me though as you wrote if you color outside of the lines of the new customer agreement it is going to cost you.

That's crazy how business works...you want more, you pay more. I guess everything should be free?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#39 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,832 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

I think it's worth saying, RVU is the future direction for all of this. It's not proprietary information, it's just obvious. Just like DIRECTV first made SWM optional, then made it mandatory for new installs, and now has both a DVR and receiver that are SWM only, I think you can expect to see the same thing happen with RVU. And it's a good thing, in my opinion.

There will always be retailers who will sell (lease) you additional equipment designed for the DIYer or someone who wants to service an older installation. But moving forward RVU gives the vast majority of users exactly what they want:

-DVR features in every room in a small, quiet box
-5 tuners (the most common install now is HR24 + 3 H25 == 5 tuners)
-the possibility for a "no box" install (if Samsung ever approves the 2012 TVs)
-lower electric bills

I understand that high-end users like us won't be happy with 5 tuners. That's why you can get an HR24 through your choice of sources.

To characterize this as DIRECTV pushing something bad on us that we don't want... I just have to disagree.

And to be 100% clear that is my opinion and not that of any other entity I represent.
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#40 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

If you already have the Genie (HMC34), does adding a C31 extend your 2 year committment?

Since it appears the C31's will be leased I'd have to say yes it will.

spam firewall