Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Am I going to get a C31?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

+1...And the order doesn't show it!
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yeah if you did it before 10/11 only if you were in one of the launch markets could you get a C31. If you do it on 10/11 or after anyone can get a C31 for $99 (as long as they have an HR34). They'll show up as Genie Mini client. No Genie Mini, no C31!
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#23 OFFLINE   widmark

widmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

I had DTV installed for the first time a few weeks ago with an h34 and a few H24 & 25s.

Now thinking I should have waited to install to get the C31s as it drives me nuts that I can't pause live TV on the receivers. I had no idea I wouldlosethat capability when switching from cable. Even so, the picture quality rocks, and although I have not been able to get some sports I expected, so far love DTV.

Seems like a lot of comments that the c31 isn't quite ready for prime time... People saying its too slow. I wonder if these are folks who haven't had the c31 long enough. For anybody in the test markets, did their c31 finally speed up and are they happy?

Second, does anybody have a sense as to whether DTV will swap my h24/25 for c31s since The install isn't even a month old?

Thx

#24 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

I had DTV installed for the first time a few weeks ago with an h34 and a few H24 & 25s.

Now thinking I should have waited to install to get the C31s as it drives me nuts that I can't pause live TV on the receivers. I had no idea I wouldlosethat capability when switching from cable. Even so, the picture quality rocks, and although I have not been able to get some sports I expected, so far love DTV.

Seems like a lot of comments that the c31 isn't quite ready for prime time... People saying its too slow. I wonder if these are folks who haven't had the c31 long enough. For anybody in the test markets, did their c31 finally speed up and are they happy?

Second, does anybody have a sense as to whether DTV will swap my h24/25 for c31s since The install isn't even a month old?

Thx

With a few extra presses of the remote buttons you can Pause a program.
Instead of watching a channel, press the record button, then go to the play list and play it. It is almost live and you can pause it. After it has been paused you can fast forward it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#25 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

.....Second, does anybody have a sense as to whether DTV will swap my h24/25 for c31s since The install isn't even a month old?

Thx

I just had D* installed 2 months ago and they wouldn't do it with my H25's. I couldn't even get the $49 deal and was told $99 each and basically "Oh well..."
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

I just had D* installed 2 months ago and they wouldn't do it with my H25's. I couldn't even get the $49 deal and was told $99 each and basically "Oh well..."

You are already swallowed that "hook", why spend more for new bait ? :D

#27 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Huh?
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#28 OFFLINE   widmark

widmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the reply and sorry to hear. I don't get the fishing metaphor either from that other post.

These C31s must be a order of magnitude cheaper to produce than the h24 or h25 since it has no tuner and has fewer connection ports. So I suspect the price drop will be dramatic in the next 6 mos.

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

He's saying they already have you on the hook (under a contract for 2 years) because you took their bait (the free/reduced cost HR34 and H25s). Why would they give you more bait (the C31s) for free when they don't need to because you are already under contract.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#30 OFFLINE   widmark

widmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

He's saying they already have you on the hook (under a contract for 2 years) because you took their bait (the free/reduced cost HR34 and H25s). Why would they give you more bait (the C31s) for free when they don't need to because you are already under contract.

Got it, thanks. I wasn't reading it from DTVs perspective!

Its a good metaphor apparently. DTV said "No C31 For You!".

Doesn't make a lot of economic sense to me, since replacing higher cost H24/25s for C31s should benefit DTV. They can redeploy my near new H24/25s in a heartbeat.

I spoke to a DTV rep and she seemed to hint that if I was deeper into my contract, they might be willing to make a concession. Is this true, or do they just wait out your 2 year contract before offering anything? I guess another way of asking is, will I have to wait 2 years for free C31s, or will it be less? I'm not going to buy any unless perhaps the price drops to $40 or less.

#31 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Usually once you start coming up on the end of your commitment you wil start becoming eligible for more special offers. I think usually around 1 year into your commitment they might start offering some discounts, around 6 months left better discounts, and when you are out of contract then you can usually get the best discounts. That said DirecTV has stated that they are cutting back on discounts for existing customers, so it is never really guaranteed that you will get anything.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#32 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

I didn't take any "bait". I called them each time for exactly what I got. I was actually calling to cancel DirecTV after being an original subscriber since 1994 and the old $700+ DSS system with USSB. I had one HR24 left after turning all my other HRxx's in because I starting using a Ceton card in my PC for WMC through XBox 360 extenders. While I just loved the true whole home DVR I got this way, I am too much of a football nut and my Eagles (being away from PA now) and couldn't live through another season of watching NFL ST on the PS3. So I called with the knowledge of jumping to them IF they could give me what I wanted, (some similarity to the whole home I enjoyed, an HR34 w/ 2 "clients" and NFL ST) and they did :)
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

Protected By... spam firewall...And...