Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Halloween Music

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 500 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

It appears that DirecTV is the only provider that tiers their music channels.

Yes its stupid.... Nothing really that good ... THEY SHOULD OFFER THEM ALL ON ONE TIER!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Well I was going to go see what this channel was. But I'm not getting 815. Guess I'm not seeing 119.

#23 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

There's no such thing as Halloween Music.

There's a few Halloween Songs, perhaps, but that's it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#24 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

With Pandora you can get everything you could possibly want without worrying about what bird a channel is on or what time of year it is or what package you have.

#25 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

With Pandora you can get everything you could possibly want without worrying about what bird a channel is on or what time of year it is or what package you have.

True. But keep in mind a sizable portion of DirecTV subscribers don't have access to high speed internet.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#26 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

There's no such thing as Halloween Music.

Yes there is...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#27 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

True. But keep in mind a sizable portion of DirecTV subscribers don't have access to high speed internet.

How did you come up with that assessment?

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,642 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Pandora doesn't need broadband. Nice to have, but not necessary. What percentage of subs don't have high speed? I'm not questioning that it's sizable, just what size and what source?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#29 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

Through DirecTV employees and personal experience. I live in a very rural area. Nearest city is 22 miles from my location. My home is located off a state highway. Cable didn't reach us until 2010 and only because it was expanded on the state highway and nowhere else in my area.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#30 OFFLINE   Dolfan13

Dolfan13

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

I just called Directv services about the lack of Halloween music on their Holiday's & Happenings channel. I am currently getting pop music and not holiday music as the channel advertises it plays. Customer service indicates that the programming has not yet updated and will between now and Thanksgiving. So I guess they might start playing Halloween music on Thanksgiving. :nono2:

I recommend all Directv subscribers to contact customer support requesting them to play what they advertise they will play on channel 815.

#31 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

A fairly large portion of Dish and DirecTV subscribers are in rural areas, or in areas without cable. Many of these areas also don't offer a lot in the way of internet connections. I have a relative in Arkansas that has DirecTV, plus a few radios with Sirius in the house.... but no option but dial-up for Internet. It is a widespread community of about 500 people, and only a few (closer to the railroad that runs there and where the local telco office is) can get a DSL connection. No one runs cable services there.

Sure, these are small communities.... but start adding up the small communities, and you come to a surprising amount of DirecTV (and Dish) customers.

No wonder I see Hughesnet commercials all the time on DirecTV.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#32 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

I recommend all Directv subscribers to contact customer support requesting them to play what they advertise they will play on channel 815.

You DO have to know that DirecTV is only leasing channels from SonicTap, which is DMX Music, and completely independent from DirecTV. And it is they who determine the content of the music channels, not DirecTV.

Complaining to DirecTV about it, is just as effective as complaining to DirecTV that the TNT channel isn't showing your favorite Halloween movie tonight. DirecTV doesn't have ANY influence in this case. At least not on short notice.

DMX Music, by the way... does not only operate SonicTap (which besides DirecTV, is also available through C-Band and some local, small cable operators), they are also operate the business version of Pandora. (Which might explain why it is available on DirecTV).

In any case, calling DirecTV about it.... is probably a waste of time.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#33 OFFLINE   Dolfan13

Dolfan13

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

So Direct TV I guess has no say on weather Halloween Music will play on the holiday channel.

#34 OFFLINE   Dolfan13

Dolfan13

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

You DO have to know that DirecTV is only leasing channels from SonicTap, which is DMX Music, and completely independent from DirecTV. And it is they who determine the content of the music channels, not DirecTV.

Complaining to DirecTV about it, is just as effective as complaining to DirecTV that the TNT channel isn't showing your favorite Halloween movie tonight. DirecTV doesn't have ANY influence in this case. At least not on short notice.

DMX Music, by the way... does not only operate SonicTap (which besides DirecTV, is also available through C-Band and some local, small cable operators), they are also operate the business version of Pandora. (Which might explain why it is available on DirecTV).

In any case, calling DirecTV about it.... is probably a waste of time.

Thanks Maartena. You are right of course and I should have realized this and frankly feel a bit ashamed for failing to do so.

I did contact DMX Music as you suggested. They were very nice, but the indicated that this channel will only play Christmas Music starting after Thanksgiving. I did ask DMX about the text in the more info window indicating among others that Halloween music would be played. DMX indicated that Directv is responsible for the text contained in the information window, so I suppose Directv needs to fix the text to accurately display what subscribers can expect to hear.

With that being said, I am still a bit disappointed with the outcome of this. I have been a long time customer of Directv (mostly because of the Sunday ticket) and have enjoyed many years of great Halloween music on Halloween.

At least I have Pandora (while not as good as the previous programming on Directv, still pretty good). I hope this posts answers others who have wondered the same.

#35 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:24 PM

I don't know but he is right. I don't have conventional high speed internet but I have lots of DirecTV receivers! I use an air card wireless modem from Sprint which isn't compatible with DirecTV (or Pandora).

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#36 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

I fully agree that the rural customers typically don't have high speed internet (or at least any good options). However, I would argue that when you combine all of the rural customers nationwide, they do not even start to become a "sizable portion" of DirecTV's 20+ million customers.

#37 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

well, holidays and happenings is playing christmas music on channel 801 & 815

hope to see more christmas music on other channels in the coming days...

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

Protected By... spam firewall...And...