Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

FXM Movie Channel Commercials

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lois Avery

Lois Avery

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

To all concerned,I am a Christian,not affiliated with any specific church but I beleive in God and the Bible.I was suprised tonight as I was watching the FXM channel and a commercial came on that had the words "hell" and "damn" in it.I know the movies are rated for parental guidance but the commercials are not.I beleive it was a beer commercial,not sure,but I'm sure that DirecTV can locate it and hopefully,they will give me a response to my concerns to my email address.I will have to give up FXM channel if the commercial remains without "bleeping out" the bad words and I do like the channel.I hope that DirecTV can take some action on this problem for the children's sake and for the parents that watch that allow their children to watch certain movies and can regulate their children's viewing of movies without being exposed to the commercials that contain inappropriate content for certain ages of children.Thank you so much for listening to my concerns and some sort of resolution to this problem.Lois Avery

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:43 PM

DAMN...must be one HELL of a commercial.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

You really expect DirecTV to "take action" because one of the channels they rebroadcast airs a commercial with words "damn" and "hell"? I don't think those words even merit a "PG" rating any more.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:53 AM

You've gotta be kidding me...

#5 OFFLINE   swissin

swissin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

To all concerned,I am a Christian,not affiliated with any specific church but I beleive in God and the Bible.I was suprised tonight as I was watching the FXM channel and a commercial came on that had the words "hell" and "damn" in it.I know the movies are rated for parental guidance but the commercials are not.I beleive it was a beer commercial,not sure,but I'm sure that DirecTV can locate it and hopefully,they will give me a response to my concerns to my email address.I will have to give up FXM channel if the commercial remains without "bleeping out" the bad words and I do like the channel.I hope that DirecTV can take some action on this problem for the children's sake and for the parents that watch that allow their children to watch certain movies and can regulate their children's viewing of movies without being exposed to the commercials that contain inappropriate content for certain ages of children.Thank you so much for listening to my concerns and some sort of resolution to this problem.Lois Avery

How about all the anti abortion commercials and how gross they are and a lies they say. Or how about all the GOP lie’s is a lie not a sin! The word hell and damn are not sins. So I will put it this way so what.

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,652 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:46 AM

The two words you find so offensive (hell and damn) are repeatedly used in the bible and the bible is the word of God! They can also be found in the English dictionary. The response you'll get from DirecTV is that they are a service provider, not a content provider. With the exception of their own channels they have no input with programing and advertising. I strongly suggest you look at how wildlife raise their young. They don't shelter their offspring from the world they'll be living in. They expose them to it and train them how to live in it. You would be wise to do the same with your children.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

As with everything Lois, you have a choice not to watch it or any other material you find offensive.

#8 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:30 AM

Lois, it is not DirecTV's job to be the word police. They simply pass along what is coming to them.

You are on a slippery slope here. If you want your content providers, being anybody from the newspaper through the cable company to the post office, to start censoring information before it reaches you, what happens when they start removing stuff you believe in? Somebody up thread was offended by anti-abortion advertising. If, to avoid offending anyone, DirecTV started censoring out Pro-Life ads along with the language you find so terrible, how would you feel about that?

Your defense is the off button and the parental controls built into the system. DirecTV has allowed you to be the censor, where that power ought to belong.

And good luck with your battle. I'm sure you'd find my daily language offensive. But I also find it amazing that words I'd never use in church or in a conversation with my mother are now in commercials, deleted only by a loud beep. Everyone knows what was said. It's said in the viewer's mind, beep or no beep. That is outragious and a change I don't like.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#9 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:36 AM

I cant even take the OP seriously. When it started "I am a Christian", there were 100 different ways I expected the commentary to go. Hell and damn? Come on...
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#10 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

As with everything Lois, you have a choice not to watch it or any other material you find offensive.

It wouldnt of happened if she was reading the bible in stead of watching TV :rolleyes:

#11 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn"
Rhett Butler in "Gone with the Wind".

There are a lot of words that are much more offensive than those two.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#12 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

I'm assuming the poster was joking or at least I hope he is. :)
Go Big Red!!!

#13 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 446 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

Well I agree with the OP, I don't like hearing that kind of language when I was watching the cinematic masterpiece Wrong Turn 2 on FXM this morning at 4:00am.

:lol:

Slimline 3 dish with a SWM-16
HR34-700 with Deca MRV

HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

#14 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

I don't think that she is making a joke. She just joined and it's her first post. While I don't think Directv is responsible for the content, I do believe the station FXM is. If they rated their programming for not having objectionable language, but allow the commercials to do so, she may have a small point. But what I can say, she's gone to the wrong place to make this point. She should be contacting FXM and telling them how she feels.

I don't think it's productive to harass people, because of their religious beliefs and if Lois is expressing her opinion, I'm fine with that. Some of you guys need to cut her some slack and contain your political opinions. Maybe we should be helping her, by directing her to the proper authorities, not condemning her.

#15 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

@ PrinceLH -- Excellent post, thank you.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,652 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

I don't think that she is making a joke. She just joined and it's her first post. While I don't think Directv is responsible for the content, I do believe the station FXM is. If they rated their programming for not having objectionable language, but allow the commercials to do so, she may have a small point. But what I can say, she's gone to the wrong place to make this point. She should be contacting FXM and telling them how she feels.

I don't think it's productive to harass people, because of their religious beliefs and if Lois is expressing her opinion, I'm fine with that. Some of you guys need to cut her some slack and contain your political opinions. Maybe we should be helping her, by directing her to the proper authorities, not condemning her.

While there have been some light hearted, humorous reactions to the OP's post I fail to see any harassment or condemning. People simply offered their thoughts and opinions on the subject matter which they, like the OP, have a right to do. And for the record, several posters, myself included, offered advice and help.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

LOL times infinity. OP obviously don't understand how commercial advertising sales works. Here's a nice book I've used for years http://www.mediaselling.us/

#18 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Cancel all pay television subscriptions, newspapers, magizines, keep your kids home from school, lock the doors, bar the windows, pull down the shades, & hide under the bed. Then, maybe, just MAYBE you can avoid all these things that are evil in the world....

#19 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Cancel all pay television subscriptions, newspapers, magizines, keep your kids home from school, lock the doors, bar the windows, pull down the shades, & hide under the bed. Then, maybe, just MAYBE you can avoid all these things that are evil in the world....

Agree! Avoid what you find offensive. Don't expect advertiser's to adjust their message because you find it offensive. They target the "masses"!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#20 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

I second the notion that it is FXM that Lois has an isse with and not DirecTV.

My other concern (and it may be a misinterpetation on my part) is that from reading her original post she may be expecting a response from DirecTV based on the strength of posting her complaint here.

So for the record...

**Lois, I want to ensure that you understand this site is not officially affiliated with DirecTV. You cannot contact them via these forums and will not receive a reply based on postings made here.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

Protected By... spam firewall...And...