Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H25 as Genie client?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

So could this footnote at the bottom of the new DirecTV Genie webpage mean the H25 may get an update to allow it to be a HR34 Genie client?

"Limit three remote viewings per Genie HD DVR (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR) at a time. Remote viewing requires a model C31Client, H25 HD Receiver(s) or RVU-enabled TV/device in each additional room, a SWiM network and Advanced Receiver Service ($20/mo.) To access HD programming, HD television equipment also required."

http://www.directv.c...=-1&lpos=header
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

HUH? That makes no sense. My H24 and HR24 interact with my HR34 just fine. Now if that is hinting at what I think it is then Directv is already aiming at limiting their new install receiver choices to C31, H25, HR34, Tivo, and the upcoming HR44. I don't think it will be long before everything else out there will be considered legacy. LOL, just a reminder though that in Directv's eyes all receivers are equal. Once again the bean counters are making the company decisions for maximum profit and not necessarily the benefit of the customer.

#3 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,847 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Now if that is hinting at what I think it is then Directv is already aiming at limiting their new install receiver choices to C31, H25, HR34, Tivo, and the upcoming HR44.

I suspect this is probably the more likely situation.

#4 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

I suspect this is probably the more likely situation.

First, I have the same suspicion regarding the HR34 / HR44 / H25 / C31 / Tivo.

Second, I suspect that everyone with HR2x DVR's is going to find out what BOHICA means.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Why would you suspect HICA-ing?

C31s can see and play programming from HR24s with the latest national release. H25s can play programs from HR34. HR24 is still less expensive than HR34 Genie, so I'm not sure why I'd need to BO.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Why would you suspect HICA-ing?

C31s can see and play programming from HR24s with the latest national release. H25s can play programs from HR34. HR24 is still less expensive than HR34 Genie, so I'm not sure why I'd need to BO.

Before "someone" pees all over this, the C31 can play recordings from the HR24, "but" you need to have the Genie for it to be part of the network.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

Yes, that is true and I could have been clearer on that.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Yes, that is true and I could have been clearer on that.

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30213&stc=1&d=1349977234

Attached Thumbnails

• connecting.png

A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

OK, now back to the original posted topic. Does anyone think there might be a SW download which will allow the H25 to act like a Genie client, i.e.- trick play, etc.?
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

OK, now back to the original posted topic. Does anyone think there might be a SW download which will allow the H25 to act like a Genie client, i.e.- trick play, etc.?

No, the C31 is an RVU client, which the H25 can't be with software. The H25 is a MRV client, meaning it's limited to recordings.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

It is not technically possible, so no.

#12 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

No, the C31 is an RVU client, which the H25 can't be with software. The H25 is a MRV client, meaning it's limited to recordings.

Thanks VOS, I completely understand the difference, but the key words were "act like", meaning maybe figure out some SW trick whereas at the H25 if you hit "pause" instead of record it sends a signal to the 34 telling it to "tune to channel xxx, record it, then play, then pause"? I understand not full or true trick play, buy you get the drift. Maybe something like whenever you power on the H25 it tells the 34 to tune to the same channel if there's a tuner avail and each time you change channels it follows you for instant "rewind"?

Whatever, maybe just wishful thinking when I saw it, but hey I'm not the one that let the Genie outta the bottle and I DO get 3 wishes don't I? ;)
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#13 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 429 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

i would think it easier for DirecTV to validate a USB stick to enable trick play on H25...
HR34, HR20x3, HR21, HR22, H24, H21

-BAHitman

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Thanks VOS, I completely understand the difference, but the key words were "act like", meaning maybe figure out some SW trick whereas at the H25 if you hit "pause" instead of record it sends a signal to the 34 telling it to "tune to channel xxx, record it, then play, then pause"? I understand not full or true trick play, buy you get the drift. Maybe something like whenever you power on the H25 it tells the 34 to tune to the same channel if there's a tuner avail and each time you change channels it follows you for instant "rewind"?

Whatever, maybe just wishful thinking when I saw it, but hey I'm not the one that let the Genie outta the bottle and I DO get 3 wishes don't I? ;)

:lol: you can always dream.

The nature of the code differences are too great for this to be reasonable "at this time".
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall