Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05CD - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

HR34-700 (0x05CD)
Diagnostic Report: 20121018-2A08
All menus switched to a white background; sent report before doing a menu reset which fixed the issue.
Posted Image

Hey, I like it! Look at all that easy-to-read contrast. Maybe instead of a "bug" we could get 'em to make this one an option. ;)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Hey, I like it! Look at all that easy-to-read contrast. Maybe instead of a "bug" we could get 'em to make this one an option. ;)

Really...I like the white screen too.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#63 OFFLINE   junbug99

junbug99

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

I'm not sure if this is an HR24 bug or an HR34 bug, but since I did not observe the problem until Saturday, evidence suggests the HR34 via this new software update:

After selecting certain (but not all) shared programs on the HR24 list, programs shared from the HR34 to the HR24, the playback menu is blacked out. However, the programs can still be played by hitting the play key back up in the list menu with the program selected. The programs in questions are regular recorded DisJrHD and HistoryHD programs. On a H24 in another room, those same episodes programs can be selected and played normally.

I have this same issue with trying to play shows recorded on HR34 from both an HR21 and HR22. However, if the show is recorded on the same day I try to play it from the other DVRs, there is no issue.
Did not know you could play straight from playlist. Will try this tonight. Thanks!

#64 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

Same. Only fix I found is to turn off Genie Recommends.

That works. Thanks for the tip.

#65 OFFLINE   kepper

kepper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm not sure if this is an HR24 bug or an HR34 bug, but since I did not observe the problem until Saturday, evidence suggests the HR34 via this new software update:

After selecting certain (but not all) shared programs on the HR24 list, programs shared from the HR34 to the HR24, the playback menu is blacked out. However, the programs can still be played by hitting the play key back up in the list menu with the program selected. The programs in questions are regular recorded DisJrHD and HistoryHD programs. On a H24 in another room, those same episodes programs can be selected and played normally.

Same problem seen last night on an HR21 when trying to playback a program recorded on the HR34.

#66 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Really...I like the white screen too.

Agree. This is far easier to read. The white on black is very difficult to read.

#67 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

At least all day yesterday I got no TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt on any channel. Hallelujah! Don't you love it when you key in a new channel on the remote and the new channel number appears in the upper left corner of the screen but the HR34 then does not change to the new channel? Sometimes, for me, anyway, it takes three times to get it to change.

Alas, I turned on my HR34 this morning and the horrible TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt was back! At least on some channels.

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 20 October 2012 - 07:21 AM.

#68 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,611 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Agree. This is far easier to read. The white on black is very difficult to read.

What software version on what receiver? It should be easy to read when on an HD channel, though clearly some don't like the color scheme.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#69 OFFLINE   xtoyz

xtoyz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Guide info does not match currently highlighted program. Example: I have the cowboys/panthers game highlighted and the info is for titans/bills. It seems to be "top program" highlighted, and "bottom program" info in the guide. Selecting the highlighted program to watch results in the channel changing to whatever the info is displaying.

The highlight randomly disappears.

Incredibly sluggish and unresponsive all week.

Mini guide no longer has a highlight feature, which means I cannot select a program to watch via the mini guide.

#70 OFFLINE   matrixj3

matrixj3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Just a minor thing on mine..i cant see who the "guests" are going to be for shows like the "Tonight Show" and "Letterman". All it has is Dave and Jay in the cast and crew but no guests?! Anyone else getting this?

#71 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Just a minor thing on mine..i cant see who the "guests" are going to be for shows like the "Tonight Show" and "Letterman". All it has is Dave and Jay in the cast and crew but no guests?! Anyone else getting this?

Yup. I have the same issue. Hopefully just a matter of time before the HR34 cast & crew data is as rich as the HR2x guide data.
/steve

#72 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

Damn what a shame.... I just got the Genie a few days ago and had a freeze, and its missed 4 shows set to first run. Tonight was the oddest though, the voice, set to record from 7-8, I checked and it showed the double record at the top as if it was recording, yet there was no recording on the display that it was... i went in and deleted the recording of the series, then set again, and the last 15 minutes recorded.... It got the newest update the other night also... I hope this get this all fixed, its a machine I was so hoping that would fix all my recording conflicts and instead its missing shows left and right....

Plus the lock up, all jammed up, while switching channels, remote lost all function, it just hung then all of the sudden it came back on.... Some really odd behavior with this box..

Edited by Datagg, 23 October 2012 - 11:25 PM.

#73 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,611 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

Don't despair! With a brand new box, esp. the HR34, and with Genie Recommends running, it has a lot of downloading and sorting to do, so the first days may be difficult.

I'd be inclined to turn off Genie Recommends, and record only from the DVR itself for the time being.

What software version do you show?

#74 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

I have an HR34, an HR23, and an HR24. The 23 and 24 usually offer much more CAST and CREW information than does the HR34. For example I checked the CAST and CREW on my 23 and 24 for a particular Charlie's Angels episode on channel 564. The 23 and 24 yielded 15 results while the HR34 yielded only 5. This type of thing has been true for all versions of the HR34 software, and it happens with many programs, not just Charlie's Angels. Anyone know why? Thanks.

#75 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,611 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

For shows such as those, the banner info/more info usually gives out all the info, and cast and crew sometimes repeat that info, sometimes leave blank.

I don't know whether the less info on movies, etc. is a temporary thing or more permanent.

#76 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Don't despair! With a brand new box, esp. the HR34, and with Genie Recommends running, it has a lot of downloading and sorting to do, so the first days may be difficult.

I'd be inclined to turn off Genie Recommends, and record only from the DVR itself for the time being.

What software version do you show?

Hi.. thanks for your reply. Software version 0x5cd it shows. As for recommends, I shut that off day one as i read its problematic and it didn't sound appealing to me either at the time. My bro got instal the same day and said his so far as been great, then yesterday he writes me to say it didn't record a show and froze up..wtf.... LOL, well not really, a shame.. Hope they get all this fixed soon. My installer told me of these possible issues as he has had the box for over a year now..... told me and i quote, "We are beta testers"..then he told me about issues with the c31's and they are a testing pad and will be replaced with c35's next year..... I only use one unit and i told him if i ever did run another id go a h24 or something.. Telling me that if the Genie went down, they all go down that's why the c35's next year. he also mentioned DTV set up there own Genie support crew as they are totally aware of issues...

anyways, sorry for the rambling, thought those extra tidbits may be of some interest.....

#77 OFFLINE   Sunner73

Sunner73

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

I've the same latest software update and have numerous occasions where a show was recorded (it shows the full duration) but when I try to play it.... nothing happens, ie, it's frozen, I even try jumping ahead in 15 min jumps and nothing..... It just happened with today's 212 NFL Fantasy Live (recorded @ 11AM P.S.T.) This symptom has happened with at least 7 different shows in the last 10 days. Even if I do a reset the show(s) are not viewable! I also have extreme sluggishness with command operations as mentioned by others prior to this message.
I have been forced to do resets no less than every 24-36 hours just to get the unit to be responsive again, Yes, the resets do improve it's responsiveness but it's just plan crazy......
It's actually worse now than when I first got the thing back in June, THANKS DIRECTV for the great, helpful software updates. (Sarcasm)
I upgraded a few SD DTivos (which work WITHOUT freezing or any other issues) for this!!.......... and I have only 1 HD TV, the others are still great working SD CRTs or Projection units. Should have had my head examined for upgrading but I couldn't believe DTV wouldn't or couldn't have solved these issues long before now!

Edited by Sunner73, 24 October 2012 - 03:28 PM.

Directv customer since 2001
1 HR34-50" Projection TV
2 HR24-27" HDTV/Monitor & 27" CRT
2 DSR704 DTivo's (no locals)-32" CRTs
1 DSR7000 DTivo-27" CRT
Only the 2 DSR704's MRV'ed

Upgraded to AU9 Slimline w/SWM16 w/uS575 stacker feeding a LAL20a amp supplying single coax to each of the 3 DSR's w/dual destackers.

#78 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

I've the same latest software update and have numerous occasions where a show was recorded (it shows the full duration) but when I try to play it.... nothing happens, ie, it's frozen, I even try jumping ahead in 15 min jumps and nothing..... It just happened with today's 212 NFL Fantasy Live (recorded @ 11AM P.S.T.) This symptom has happened with at least 7 different shows in the last 10 days. Even if I do a reset the show(s) are not viewable! I also have extreme sluggishness with command operations as mentioned by others prior to this message.
I have been forced to do resets no less than every 24-36 hours just to get the unit to be responsive again, Yes, the resets do improve it's responsiveness but it just plan crazy......
It's actually worse now than when I first got the thing back in June, THANKS DIRECTV for the great, helpful software updates. (Sarcasm)
I upgraded a few SD DTivos (which work WITHOUT freezing or any other issues) for this!!.......... and I have only 1 HD TV, the others are still great working SD CRTs or Projection units. Should have had my head examined for upgrading but I couldn't believe DTV wouldn't or couldn't have solved these issues long before now!

agreed... its been out for over a year now... really sad, yet as my installer said, we still the beta testers...... that to me says it all....

#79 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

I called DTV yesterday to talk about some of my HR34 issues and asked the tech to connect me to the special unit that handles just HR34 issues. With all of my previous calls to DTV about my HR34, that has been the case, i.e. I was switched to somebody who said he or she was a caseworker (or something like that) who said they handled only HR34 issues and that person then opened a case file (or something like that) on my HR34 issue or issues. Yesterday the tech said that so-called special HR34 unit no longer existed and he was the one to help me. Was he BSing me, or has that special HR34 unit actually been shut down? Thanks. BTW: I asked him if used an HR34 at home and he said no. I asked because he seemed to be in a fog when I told him of several of my HR34 issues. The issues I discussed were: 1. The infernal "to record this episode" prompt. I suggested it should be put under the auspices of RECORDING TIPS so when RECORDING TIPS is off, the infernal "to record this episode" prompt does not appear. 2. The failure of the HR34 to properly AUTO REWIND when you are in the FFWD mode and you then press PLAY. My HR23 and HR24 do properly AUTO REWIND in the case of FFWD > PLAY. By that I mean the hard drive rewinds a few seconds so as to compensate for my reaction time and thus it takes me to a place in the video before when I pressed PLAY so I don't miss anything. 3. The tendency for the HR34 to yield a frozen picture when I press FFWD while the hard drive is actually fast forwarding "behind" the frozen picture. 4. The oftentimes annoying/aggravating/disconcerting sluggishness of the the HR34 when responding to a remote control command. I am so sick and tired of pressing a button on the remote and having happen what is supposed to happen only 1 or 2 or 3 seconds later -- or worse, not happen at all. When the latter is the case, oftentimes when I repeat the failed remote control command, the HR34 does 2 of what I wanted it to originally do because it somehow buffered the first command that it didn't respond to. Then, worst of all, there is the situation when a remote command "freezes" or "locks up" the HR34 for several minutes. Then again, sometimes the HR34 doesn't "fix" itself and needs to be rebooted. Since 0x05cd, I've had to reboot my HR34 four times. I think this HR34 0x05cd combination is a fraud on the American public, and I wish DTV would concentrate of fixing the outstanding technical issues before they add more useless (to me) or stupid (to me) features such as GENIE and the "to record this episode" prompt. My rant today. Thanks.

#80 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

I called DTV yesterday to talk about some of my HR34 issues and asked the tech to connect me to the special unit that handles just HR34 issues. With all of my previous calls to DTV about my HR34, that has been the case, i.e. I was switched to somebody who said he or she was a caseworker (or something like that) who said they handled only HR34 issues and that person then opened a case file (or something like that) on my HR34 issue or issues. Yesterday the tech said that so-called special HR34 unit no longer existed and he was the one to help me. Was he BSing me, or has that special HR34 unit actually been shut down? Thanks. BTW: I asked him if used an HR34 at home and he said no. I asked because he seemed to be in a fog when I told him of several of my HR34 issues. The issues I discussed were: 1. The infernal "to record this episode" prompt. I suggested it should be put under the auspices of RECORDING TIPS so when RECORDING TIPS is off, the infernal "to record this episode" prompt does not appear. 2. The failure of the HR34 to properly AUTO REWIND when you are in the FFWD mode and you then press PLAY. My HR23 and HR24 do properly AUTO REWIND in the case of FFWD > PLAY. By that I mean the hard drive rewinds a few seconds so as to compensate for my reaction time and thus it takes me to a place in the video before when I pressed PLAY so I don't miss anything. 3. The tendency for the HR34 to yield a frozen picture when I press FFWD while the hard drive is actually fast forwarding "behind" the frozen picture. 4. The oftentimes annoying/aggravating/disconcerting sluggishness of the the HR34 when responding to a remote control command. I am so sick and tired of pressing a button on the remote and having happen what is supposed to happen only 1 or 2 or 3 seconds later -- or worse, not happen at all. When the latter is the case, oftentimes when I repeat the failed remote control command, the HR34 does 2 of what I wanted it to originally do because it somehow buffered the first command that it didn't respond to. Then, worst of all, there is the situation when a remote command "freezes" or "locks up" the HR34 for several minutes. Then again, sometimes the HR34 doesn't "fix" itself and needs to be rebooted. Since 0x05cd, I've had to reboot my HR34 four times. I think this HR34 0x05cd combination is a fraud on the American public, and I wish DTV would concentrate of fixing the outstanding technical issues before they add more useless (to me) or stupid (to me) features such as GENIE and the "to record this episode" prompt. My rant today. Thanks.

The tech told me sorta the same thing, yet it was with the c31's being discontinued next year to c35's due to them all shutting down when genie dies.... Pointing to a more joey setup as there working well and DTV was trying a something different with not much success/// he also eluded to us being Beta testers for the H34 almost trying to bait me into staying with my HR24..then proceeded to tell me as a tech we got these prior to anyone else and it has been a pain, when ti works its great, yet a pain, lock ups, things not recording etc.... and when i said hopefully they made improvements and to proceed, he said ok, hope you have better luck than i currently am having.... anyways, thus far after 2 weeks now, 4 lock ups, screen stopping then unfreezing on its own, going thru the guide last night lock up on the way down... and the oddest thing is a recording that was set, was showing it was recording, yet it wasn't recording.... That one really had me baffled... lost 45 minutes of it as i jumped in before it was over, to find there was no recording happening even though it said it was... So allot of issues and i hope they get them fixed.. but im not going to hold my breath, this unit has been out for over a year now, there is just no excuse for this....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...