Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie: Version 0x05CD - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

I called DTV yesterday to talk about some of my HR34 issues and asked the tech to connect me to the special unit that handles just HR34 issues. With all of my previous calls to DTV about my HR34, that has been the case, i.e. I was switched to somebody who said he or she was a caseworker (or something like that) who said they handled only HR34 issues and that person then opened a case file (or something like that) on my HR34 issue or issues. Yesterday the tech said that so-called special HR34 unit no longer existed and he was the one to help me. Was he BSing me, or has that special HR34 unit actually been shut down? Thanks. BTW: I asked him if used an HR34 at home and he said no. I asked because he seemed to be in a fog when I told him of several of my HR34 issues. The issues I discussed were:

1. The infernal "to record this episode" prompt. I suggested it should be put under the auspices of RECORDING TIPS so when RECORDING TIPS is off, the infernal "to record this episode" prompt does not appear.

2. The failure of the HR34 to properly AUTO REWIND when you are in the FFWD mode and you then press PLAY. My HR23 and HR24 do properly AUTO REWIND in the case of FFWD > PLAY. By that I mean the hard drive rewinds a few seconds so as to compensate for my reaction time and thus it takes me to a place in the video before when I pressed PLAY so I don't miss anything.

3. The tendency for the HR34 to yield a frozen picture when I press FFWD while the hard drive is actually fast forwarding "behind" the frozen picture.

4. The oftentimes annoying/aggravating/disconcerting sluggishness of the the HR34 when responding to a remote control command. I am so sick and tired of pressing a button on the remote and having happen what is supposed to happen only 1 or 2 or 3 seconds later -- or worse, not happen at all. When the latter is the case, oftentimes when I repeat the failed remote control command, the HR34 does 2 of what I wanted it to originally do because it somehow buffered the first command that it didn't respond to.

Then, worst of all, there is the situation when a remote command "freezes" or "locks up" the HR34 for several minutes. Then again, sometimes the HR34 doesn't "fix" itself and needs to be rebooted. Since 0x05cd, I've had to reboot my HR34 four times. I think this HR34 0x05cd combination is a fraud on the American public, and I wish DTV would concentrate of fixing the outstanding technical issues before they add more useless (to me) or stupid (to me) features such as GENIE and the "to record this episode" prompt. My rant today. Thanks.

I know those type of things are annoying, although I'm not experiencing most of them. I was having an issue where I exit from a recording and it froze on a black screen for about 30 seconds. And then when using the remote for anything, there was no response for 30 seconds and then it did all of the commands in a row. A reset resolved that.

Maybe you should push to have them replace your HR34? Also, to make it a bit easier to read, could you please occasional start a new paragraph, like I did above?
HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

No problem RACJ2. Thanks. One thing I forgot to mention: Occasionally when I a m in the FFWD mode and I press PLAY, nothing happens, i.e. the HR34 simply continues to FFWD. Often I have to press PLAY as many as 5 or 6 times to restore real time.

#83 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

Had another odd frustrating issue just a few hours ago.... Live tv, had to pause it for about 30 seconds for a phone call, came back, pressed play, it wouldn't start back up... rewound it a tiny bit of what i could (30-45) pause, wouldn't play that or begin live again.. had to switch channels and then come back to it and begin there live.

2 weeks now I have had this, sad this is happening to a unit that has been out for over a year.... shame

Edited by Datagg, 28 October 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#84 OFFLINE   HofstraJet

HofstraJet

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts
  • LocationCoral Springs, FL

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

Well, all of my complaints and observations are already mentioned in this thread so no need to rehash. Worst one is the progress bar appearing whenever you trick play - there are many times that I don't want to know where I am in a recording. Also, the freezing picture not only affects the HR34, but when watching shows from my HR34 on my HR24 through whole-home, the picture freezes sometimes and I have to wait for it to come back. Very annoying. Whole-home through DECA, though the 24 and 34 mentioned above are on top of each other connected to the same switch.

And for the record, my previous unsupported whole-home over CAT5 setup worked just as well as whole-home over DECA. I see no discernable differences.

#85 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:28 AM

While watching a recording Sat. P. M. did a 30 sec. slip and box froze up and displayed a black screen with video blinking on and off like a stuck record.
At this time no remote or box keys worked, did a RBR.

Sunday P.M. after watching and deleting a recording the PIG display was black and no audio. There was no hilight bar in the playlist and box wouldn't respond to any input.
Had a couple of shows recording and after waiting several minutes I switched to another DVR and watched an hour show then switched back to the HR34 and it had recovered without a reboot.
Operated properly for a couple of hours.

Did a menu reset this A.M.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#86 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

When I activate the PIP on my HR34, I can't find a way to switch the audio back and forth between the main picture and the PIP. Is there a way? Thanks.

#87 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Well, I have a Genie install scheduled for this coming Saturday. I am replacing 3 HR24s with a Genie system and a couple of clients. I am so fed up with not being able to see what is set to record on each box, that this single HD DVR solution works for me.

Judging by this thread though, I may see some issues :)

#88 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,163 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

When I activate the PIP on my HR34, I can't find a way to switch the audio back and forth between the main picture and the PIP. Is there a way? Thanks.

Try using the down arrow (below select).

#89 OFFLINE   EyeRonik1

EyeRonik1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

My hr-34 can be so slow. It's fine after a restart but after 3 or 4 days of just being left on it gets unusable. It's common to take 2-3 minutes to do a channel change or fast forward.

I haven't called it in because I don't want to spend hours diagnosing it.

I have about 65 season passes and many of them are category searches - record all new action adventure movies, for example. I'm sure I'm pushing the scheduler pretty hard, but I'm well within their specs. I pushed my much older Tivo's harder than this and they worked fine.

#90 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,978 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

My hr-34 can be so slow. It's fine after a restart but after 3 or 4 days of just being left on it gets unusable. It's common to take 2-3 minutes to do a channel change or fast forward.

I haven't called it in because I don't want to spend hours diagnosing it.

I have about 65 season passes and many of them are category searches - record all new action adventure movies, for example. I'm sure I'm pushing the scheduler pretty hard, but I'm well within their specs. I pushed my much older Tivo's harder than this and they worked fine.

How full is your drive on the '34? Do you never put it in standby?

I'm not at all sure a Guide flush will help, but I'd try it anyway- just before you retire, do a double reset via Menu->Settings->Reset->Restart receiver.

If the scheduler is running across bad or conflicting program info, a Guide flush could help. Also, trimming the searches could help as well.

Please keep us posted!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#91 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Try using the down arrow (below select).

I believe that swaps the two pictures as well as the audio.

#92 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

I believe that swaps the two pictures as well as the audio.

Correct, there is no way to just change the audio with PIP.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#93 OFFLINE   EyeRonik1

EyeRonik1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

How full is your drive on the '34? Do you never put it in standby?

I'm not at all sure a Guide flush will help, but I'd try it anyway- just before you retire, do a double reset via Menu->Settings->Reset->Restart receiver.

If the scheduler is running across bad or conflicting program info, a Guide flush could help. Also, trimming the searches could help as well.

Please keep us posted!

I do that version of reset about once a week. The performance improves and is quite snappy for 3-4 days. Then, suddenly, the performance will become intermittantly slow, where the machine will appear to hang for 30 seconds or so at a time, and then over the next day or two it will get sluggish as I described above. Repeat until done.

I do have one other behavior that is odd - recordings from one auto-recorded search will show up under other titles in my playlist (sorry if I mix up Tivo and DirecTV terms.) For example, I record every Chicago Bears game. I also record every Illinois game. In my Bears folder in my playlist I will also get Illinois games, other football games, and other recordings from other wishlists. When I delete the Bears wishlist and re-enter it, the behavior stops but the recordings will show up in some other folder.

Finally, I have one more thing: I dropped Showtime, Encore and Starz several weeks ago. All of the Encore stations still show up as stations I get, along with the HD pack that I dropped last spring. I've been on the phone with Directv for several hours on this and they don't know what it is. I avoid problems with the CCHAN operator but it's a minor annoyance.

I believe these are related but who knows without know more about their internals.

#94 OFFLINE   upjtboogie

upjtboogie

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

So I'm getting Genie tomorrow, has the experience been slower, the same or faster than a whole home setup with an HR24-100?
HR24-100

#95 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

As already mentioned, there is no way to listen to the audio in the PIP. I would like to have that as well, but would prefer we get a button on the remote for PIP On/Off first.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#96 OFFLINE   dsm

dsm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:38 PM

I've been finding that dvr scheduler stopped working (recording initiated from iphone or ipad app). The recording history always shows a message that the recording failed because it was already scheduled. Someone suggested I turn Genie off and I did. Now DVR scheduler is working again.

I called tech support and they took down my info and said they would send me an update that fixes it overnight. I'm already running 0x05cd and I told them that I thought it was the latest official release but they said they would send an update within a day or so. That was days ago, no update or even a reset yet. It did get me off the phone though so I guess that's a good thing for both of us to stop wasting our time :-).

#97 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

I got the new software today. 0x5d3. So far I have only checked it to see if the infernal TO RECORD THIS EPISODE prompt is still there. Dang, it is, at least on some channels. And when scrolling down through the guide, the highlight still jumps off to the left and highlights the station info. Another dang.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...