Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loss of Satellite Signal on Hopper

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

For about a month I have been having an issue with one of two Hoppers not being able to find satellite signals. I can be watching tv with all channels available. When I go to change channels, an error message comes up that "Satellite signal has been lost." Try to switch back to the channel I was on and it shows the same message. After a reset, the Point Dish procedure will only find one or two satellites. For instance, tuner 1 only finds 119, tuner 2 only finds 119, and tuner 3 only finds 110. Or sometimes all three tuners find 129, or one of the others, but not all three.

The first tech that came out changed out the LNB on the dish. That worked for about 4 hours before the issue came up again. The second tech came and changed out the duo node on the outside of the house. Again, after a few hours the same problem came back again. Then this week, they changed out one Hopper that was having the most issues. Still having the satellite signal issue. And now, both Hoppers have the same problem.

The last tech said if changing the Hopper didn't work they would have to send out a master tech to find the problem. It has been two days and I have not heard anything.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

be patient - just wait; we can't help you remotely

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

If it is happening on both units, the suspects are the DISH, LNB and the Duo Node.

Is there any chance at all that the dish's view is being blocked intermittantly?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

I've had some weird issues which crop up if more than one receiver is connected to a router via ethernet. If that is the case, try disconnecting ethernet cables from the receivers and see if there is any improvement.

#5 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Check all COAX connections for signs of corrosion. I had a similar experience a long time ago and it was all caused by one sloppy connection. Start with those exposed to the elements.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#6 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

I had the same issue. The problem was that the middle wire on the cable going to the Duo Node was two short. Changed cables and all is well.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

I don't feel OP will DIY action ... He should wait for a tech.

#8 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

Sheesh, instead of patronizing the guy we could at least make suggestions...

Are there any sort of wall jacks or the likes on the line between the Hopper and the node? That can cause issues.

I am leaning towards cable/connector issues, as was previously mentioned. Especially if only one of the Hoppers is having issues. I would guess that the issue is between the Hopper and the node as the other Hopper is fine. So check for cabling issues and/or bad connectors and/or connectors that aren't supplied by Dish.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

The question is: is OP willing/capable to do all the F-connectors check/rework ?
Seems to me he keep silence and not taking our DYI proposal for the reason ...

#10 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Sorry, but just now getting a chance to check the forum since I posted. Thanks for all the input.

The tech came late Friday afternoon. As is always the case, the system wasn't acting up when he arrived. I wasn't there but wife said he checked all connections inside and out. Found nothing so left. Just after he left, the issue started again. Wife called him and he returned. Couldn't find anyting obvious causing the problem, but did say that there were too many Joeys connected to one Hopper from when the other tech replaced it last week. Corrected that. When I got home the lost signal issue again started. Also noticed that one particular Joey was showing as being connected to every other location in the house. Also noticed that the signal issue only seemed to be happening when something was being recorded on the Hopper. Anyway, called the tech and left a message, but did not hear from him again.

Saturday turned on the tv and everything was fine. The one "everywhere" Joey was back to showing up only where it was supposed to. No signal issues. Worked well all weekend.

#11 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

Well, the "loss of signal" issue is still occuring. It has happened three of four mornings this week since Monday. And again, only on one of two Hoppers. It appears that sat 110 and 119 are not affected, but all the loss is coming from 129, which is the majority of channels that I have. By the afternoon and evening everything is fine.

The regional supervisor of the installer/servicer handling this issue called Tuesday morning and asked if a tech had ever shown up. Told him he had last Friday, but the supervisor said that wasn't the master tech. He is still trying to get him scheduled to come look at the problem.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Did you check for LOF drift the LNBFs ?

#13 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

It appears the cable from the node to the Hopper was the problem.

The master tech came Saturday. He asked if the other techs had changed out the cable. Told him no, that they changed everything else out. He went out a few minutes then came back in and said it was the cable. It was too small and worn out. He said he had told the other techs to start by checking the cable, but none did. He changed it out in about thirty minutes and everything has been working perfect since.

#14 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Glad it worked out. Tha is what was wrong with my Hoppers. After I swithched cables all is fine. See my prior post.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#15 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Well, the "working perfect" lasted until last Thursday. Had no problems since the cable had been changed out, but while watching the news on a local, the "lost satellite signal" screen kicked back in. I reset with the red button, and then with a hard reset by unplugging. No change. The next day, the "lost satellite signal" page was gone, but so were all the channels from the 129 satellite. It stayed that way all weekend. Called Dish Friday and a tech came out Sunday afternoon.

He checked all connections, said everything was good. He said he would "send a hit" to the affected Hopper. He did so, and all the channels were back. Two hours after he left, the "lost satellite signal" started again. It stayed that way all evening. By this morning the "lost satellite signal" was gone, and so again were all the channels from 129. Now waiting to find out from Dish what the next step is. Its beginning to sound to me like a software problem. There's no hardware left to change out.

#16 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

I feel your pain. I went through something similar with a 722K receiver.

I would be going along just fine and then I would start getting "002 - Partial signal loss" message. In my case, I had full signal, and if I were recording something, it still recorded just fine.

They swapped receivers, and it came back... after a few weeks, or a month, or so. One time I went three months without the issue, then it started again.

They did a complete re-install. Installed new wires. Moved receiver to another room. Replaced LNB. Swapped receivers.

Finally, after many months and many receivers, they wanted to switch me to a 922 receiver since they couldn't figure out the issue with the 722K.

I didn't have that issue any longer. (I had issues - but not THAT issue!) ;)

#17 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Still no resolution with the loss of satellite signal. Tech visits are up to almost ten. Generally, the signal issue starts late evening, lasts thru early morning. Signal back on thru the day. Could it possibly have something to do with cool vs. warm temps? I'm grasping at straws.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

it could, perhaps moisture penetrating into cable close to F-connectors or damaged cable in a middle ?

#19 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Sorry to sound pedantic (sp?) but has a check switch test been run?
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#20 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Sorry to sound pedantic (sp?) but has a check switch test been run?

Yes, many times. When going to the Check Switch screen, all three tuners will show that all three sats are available. After running the test, tuner 1 will only show 119, tuner 2 will show 110 and tuner 3 119. Doing Reset will not bring them back. Later, usually the next day, all three satellites will show up again.

spam firewall