Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loss of Satellite Signal on Hopper

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,868 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

That's not normal to see 119W twice.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Still no resolution with the loss of satellite signal. Tech visits are up to almost ten. Generally, the signal issue starts late evening, lasts thru early morning. Signal back on thru the day. Could it possibly have something to do with cool vs. warm temps? I'm grasping at straws.

Is there anything outside that may block the DISH antenna in the evenings causing the signal to be lost?

I had a customer once who's neighbor drove a semi and when the semi was parked in the driveway next door it caused partial signal loss because it was blocking part of the customer's LOS.

Please send me a PM and I'll be happy to see what I can do to get this corrected for you. Thanks!

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,868 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

That's funny - a truck is blocking LOS each night.

#24 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

I definitely had a moisture problem in a connector on the outside of my house.

I replaced the barrel connector and wrapped it in the sticky black tar-goo I use for outdoor long-throw wireless access point antennas, then wrapped that in outdoor use electrical tape. Not a problem since.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,739 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

it could, perhaps moisture penetrating into cable close to F-connectors or damaged cable in a middle ?

It could also be an issue with condensation forming on the LNB lens. The other brand had some fairly serious issues with this a few years ago.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Is there anything outside that may block the DISH antenna in the evenings causing the signal to be lost?

I had a customer once who's neighbor drove a semi and when the semi was parked in the driveway next door it caused partial signal loss because it was blocking part of the customer's LOS.

The dish is mounted on the roof with a clear view of the southern sky.

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,868 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

And your cabling/connectors are ... ? OK ?

#28 OFFLINE   dishwater

dishwater

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Four techs, including regional supervisor, came last Saturday afternoon. It looked like a Dish convention was taking place at my house. They replaced the dish, lnb, duo node, and all cable inside and outside the house. They did not replace the Hoppers and Joeys. It took about three hours. They did not find anything obvious that was wrong or bad.

Since then, everything has worked just as it should. Except Sunday evening. As I was watching a show, the "satellite signal lost" screen came up just long enough for me to look for something to throw at the tv, then it went right back to the program. Since then it has been fine.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

#29 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Please let me know if you continue to experience this problem. Thanks.

Four techs, including regional supervisor, came last Saturday afternoon. It looked like a Dish convention was taking place at my house. They replaced the dish, lnb, duo node, and all cable inside and outside the house. They did not replace the Hoppers and Joeys. It took about three hours. They did not find anything obvious that was wrong or bad.

Since then, everything has worked just as it should. Except Sunday evening. As I was watching a show, the "satellite signal lost" screen came up just long enough for me to look for something to throw at the tv, then it went right back to the program. Since then it has been fine.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

#30 OFFLINE   lonerwulf

lonerwulf

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

I've seen this problem b4 one of your drop cables from dish was bad or wasn't 3 gig. Once they replaced your drop cables they fixed problem. I've learned in a duel hopper install always always always replace drop cables it just prevents problems in the future

#31 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 531 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

How about the southwestern sky. 129 is further west than 110 and 119. I had the same problem and fixed it by taking a chainsaw to a neighbors tree.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...