Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie "The Good Stuff" Discussion

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

So by now we all know that the Genie DVR has picture-in-picture and five tuners. Does that make it worth the money for you guys? Personally I love never having to worry about recoding conflicts.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

The Genie makes the whole family happy, if this would have been available many years ago I wouldn't be running so many DVRs full time. Slowly I will start eliminating them. Now having a Genie Client I have trickplay ability in my kitchen and can completely hide the client behind the tv.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

Best DVR on the planet earth. (and it sits next to a FiOS 7232 presently)

5 tuners (totally independent)
1TB (200+ HD)
PIP
3 MRV streams

Truly believe it's fabulous.

Personally, I prefer H25's as MRV clients to allow the HR34 to truly excel (simultaneous 5 tuner recording), but some may prefer RVU.

I now never need to worry about recording conflicts ever again, especially when multiple HR34's are allowed so that each family segment will be able to have one someday.

His and Her's Genie's will be the perfect setup for this specific household someday.

Love it.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#4 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

So by now we all know that the Genie DVR has picture-in-picture and five tuners. Does that make it worth the money for you guys? Personally I love never having to worry about recoding conflicts.

Yes. The five tuners and large drive was well worth it. I find myself being much more "liberal" in what I record. PIP is too cumbersome and rarely use it.

I also like the Genie feature and have found shows that I previously either hadn't heard of or hadn't thought to record.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

I'm enjoying it as a sensational recorder/server for my "whole home" set-up. Even with 98 series links, I no longer have to worry about recording conflicts, and 99.99% of my recordings are fully pre- and post-padded.

I just checked, and I've got 508 recordings in HISTORY, ATM, dating back to 9/30. That's an average of 39 recordings per day... without a hiccup! What more can I say? :)
/steve

#6 ONLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

My biggest plus with the Genie is the 5 tuners. Not having any conflicts is huge. As for PIP I have been using it for Football and MLB Playoffs. I don't know if I would use any other time but time will tell.

JACK,

#7 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

5 tuners!
100 Series Links! (I need more, but it beats the heck out of 50)...
1TB hard drive!

Not too shabby... :)

~Alan

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

It's worth it just for the 5 tuners and PIP but throw in the fact that you get 100 series links and can attach more storage space than you'll ever use it's awesome. They just need to iron out some "quirks" and squash some bugs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,287 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

Yes, totally worth it! Leaving recording conflicts behind is number one for me, (looking forward to Genie not interfering in the future, that is). And it may keep nomad from making recodings, too.:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Like others... 5 tuners and a cavernous hard drive.

PIP is pretty cool for football games too. :)

EDIT: Yeah, it's worth it!

Edited by Go Beavs, 12 October 2012 - 05:30 PM.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,050 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Would be all new models have own name instead of regular "H26" or "HR27" names ?
Is it dish make it contagious after giving zoo's names to own new devices?

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,231 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

Certainly like the 5 tuners. PIP is also nice, but would be better if it was a bit more convenient, and gave more flexibility/options on picture size and location on screen.

#13 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

Certainly like the 5 tuners. PIP is also nice, but would be better if it was a bit more convenient, and gave more flexibility/options on picture size and location on screen.

Carl, you raise an interesting point that I've wondered about. I struggle sometimes with where to put the PIP secondary screen ... side-by-side or lower right.

I mostly use PIP for MLB or NFL games, and I've toyed with each option.

The other night I also decided to try going with the Monday Night Football game on the big HD set and the baseball playoff game on the iPad sitting next to me, but that only worked well because I could stream TBS with the DirecTV iPad App. I also tried the MLB At Bat app with the iPad quad view and also the Slingplayer App, but the DirecTV iPad App was the highest quality, and I really wanted to see both games to the fullest. It worked out pretty well, though it did get a little confusing trying to watch every second of both games.

I usually just use the lower right PIP option, but I have wondered if some bigger primary PIP and an overlap PIP for the secondary would be better.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#14 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

I love being able to manage all my shows from one box instead of making sure I had things recording on two separate DVR's.

#15 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,801 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

A PIP on/off toggle would be nice. Any updates on this coming?

#16 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

A PIP on/off toggle would be nice. Any updates on this coming?

Not a peep, but surprises are always welcome.

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Love having 5 tuners, but 8 would be better as I still occasionally have a conflict.

Would also like to have the ability for more than 100 SL's, since I'm currenlty at 100 and have to delete one every time I add one.

It's a very good box, and with the items above (at least the second one) and trick play working correctly, it would be basically a perfect box.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#18 OFFLINE   lehozle

lehozle

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

I must have missed something regarding PIP. How do you use /set it up. I don't see any reference in any of the menu option.

Thanks in advance...

#19 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:30 AM

I must have missed something regarding PIP. How do you use /set it up. I don't see any reference in any of the menu option.

Thanks in advance...

While watching TV press "info" on your remote. Go all the way to the right on the info banner and you'll see PIP. There you can turn it on and choose the options for PIP.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#20 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

While watching TV press "info" on your remote. Go all the way to the right on the info banner and you'll see PIP. There you can turn it on and choose the options for PIP.

Which is, IMHO, rather unusable.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...