Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie "The Good Stuff" Discussion

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

The ability to record 5 channels and record about a "Million Hours" of HD programing is wonderful.

Another plus that we enjoy is multiple MRV streams at once.
Example: My wife can be half way through a recording like X Factor in the Rec. Room and I can start a new viewing from the beginning in the bedroom, smooth as silk.

Regular DVR's can only stream one recording at a time.

J C

P.S. Well worth the upgrade and what few bugs are left to be worked out are far less of a problem than the improved performance of the box.

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Love having 5 tuners, but 8 would be better as I still occasionally have a conflict.

Would also like to have the ability for more than 100 SL's, since I'm currenlty at 100 and have to delete one every time I add one.

It's a very good box, and with the items above (at least the second one) and trick play working correctly, it would be basically a perfect box.

Five tuners is a good start. We run out of tuners often, and have to eliminate links to add one. We have two more tuners with the HR24 but without an integrated way to see all of the series links, we wind up with duplicates from time to time and we miss some things from time to time. We got the two new boxes after having DirecTiVo with unlimited Season Passes. We had to pare down 239 Season Passes to 150 Series link.

2T drive so far has not totally maxed out, but I have to delete stuff daily to be sure we don't max out. Most days we have all five tuners recording at some point in time. The overflow goes to the HR24.

I would say the Genie is better than the old Dishplayer or any Dish product, any of the cable DVRs, , but it is not as good as any TiVo we have used.

A nice feature of the Whole Home system is that you can watch a program on another box as it records.

A feature that would really improve the DTV DVRs would be progam copying to another box.

Would I recommed the Genie (nee HR34) to a friend or family member? I would if they were not willing to pony up for an original Series 3 THX capable TiVo on cable.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Carl, you raise an interesting point that I've wondered about. I struggle sometimes with where to put the PIP secondary screen ... side-by-side or lower right.

I mostly use PIP for MLB or NFL games, and I've toyed with each option.

The other night I also decided to try going with the Monday Night Football game on the big HD set and the baseball playoff game on the iPad sitting next to me, but that only worked well because I could stream TBS with the DirecTV iPad App. I also tried the MLB At Bat app with the iPad quad view and also the Slingplayer App, but the DirecTV iPad App was the highest quality, and I really wanted to see both games to the fullest. It worked out pretty well, though it did get a little confusing trying to watch every second of both games.

I usually just use the lower right PIP option, but I have wondered if some bigger primary PIP and an overlap PIP for the secondary would be better.

I used to have an HD Sony 40" CRT set that had PIP and would allow for a small PIP screen or a split screen. Never used it. I am surprised that it is still something that people want.

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Which is, IMHO, rather unusable.

I wouldn't say unusable, it's just a big pain to turn PIP on and off.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#25 OFFLINE   lehozle

lehozle

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

While watching TV press "info" on your remote. Go all the way to the right on the info banner and you'll see PIP. There you can turn it on and choose the options for PIP.

Got it - Thanks!

#26 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:47 AM

I actually had three games going at the same time yesterday with PIP on the HR34 and a HR20 sharing Picture and Picture. The TV P&P allows sizing of the two windows - enlarges one / reduces the other where unfortunately the 34 PIP is fixed and always in the wrong spot for scores or stats on the different networks.

But the 34 is a great box!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,718 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

The 5 tuners definitely is a big plus during NFL (Sunday Ticket) season.

It also seems the networks are regularly competing at similar "prime" time slots for their top shows or special broadcasts...so the HR34 Genie's ability to record a group of concurrent shows is used regularly here.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,376 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

If you record four live shows, you can almost watch them all simultaneously, via PIP and trickplay in both windows. At least I did so a month ago. It borders on becoming work, though! Works for FB and Baseball, perhaps cricket, shuffleboard and quoits. :P
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#29 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,746 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

I wouldn't say unusable, it's just a big pain to turn PIP on and off.

Wasn't there talk one time in the chat room of a "fix" coming soon, possibly a one button on/off toggle? It sure would be nice.

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

If you record four live shows, you can almost watch them all simultaneously, via PIP and trickplay in both windows. At least I did so a month ago. It borders on becoming work, though! Works for FB and Baseball, perhaps cricket, shuffleboard and quoits. :P

Think that might be why PIP died out years ago?

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,746 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Think that might be why PIP died out years ago?

Rich

Probably. When PIP was built into TVs it was too complicated for the average user to use because you had to have two receivers and multiple remotes in order to use it. TV manufactures realized this and stop putting it in their TVs. Its easier to have PIP built into the receiver using only one remote.

#32 OFFLINE   MrGibbage

MrGibbage

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

How are the menus and overall navigation? The My HR20 & HR24 are driving me nuts with the paging up and down in the guide, and deleting shows? Prepare yourself for a 30 second delay sometimes. Delete a whole folder of 100 episodes? Better go make some coffee while you wait.

Will I need a different dish, or do anything different with my current wiring? How much do they cost? Any extra fees each month?

#33 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

I've been looking into a HR34 (Genie...OK) myself. The cost is a bit steep. Since its a lease especially. But the features you all describe would sure help my DVR dilemma. I have the following ; HR24, HR21, R22-100 AND R22-200. They are all networked via a DECA or Cinema Connection Kit. So they all see each other. However as one user pointed out. Since the units can't share SL (series links) then I end up having CSI:NY on 2 DVRs at the same time. I also read that the HR34 can stream to more than 1 client (H25, HRxx) at a time. Currently with my setup If a show is being watched on what I designate my "Network DVR " which is an R22-200 to another R22-100 then if I want to watch on my HR24 I have to wait. That seems like a nice feature. The 5 tuners sounds nice too. Again as it is now I can record 8 shows at once but they are split between 4 DVRs that is a pain. As far as PIP. I use it for watching NASCAR and NFL/SEC Football at the same time. My Vizio luckily has it built in. My HR24 AND R22-200 are in the same room so I can PIP that way. I guess it would be cool to have a DirecTV receiver that could do it too. I called DirecTV not to long ago. The best they could do on price was $99. When you don't have alot of money that is a lot. I will just wait however til I can afford one. But I'd buy one in a NY minute if I had the funds ! Sounds like one awesome unit.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Probably. When PIP was built into TVs it was too complicated for the average user to use because you had to have two receivers and multiple remotes in order to use it. TV manufactures realized this and stop putting it in their TVs. Its easier to have PIP built into the receiver using only one remote.

The "average user" is really that dumb? Geez, it's kinda hard to think that something so obvious would be hard to use. I even had a $100 gizmo that I used to get PIP on one of my TVs that didn't have PIP.

Now that I think about it, I gave that gizmo to my brother and he never figured out how to use it, so you might have a point. I have a bad habit of thinking everyone is of equal intelligence.

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,746 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

The "average user" is really that dumb? Geez, it's kinda hard to think that something so obvious would be hard to use. I even had a $100 gizmo that I used to get PIP on one of my TVs that didn't have PIP.

Now that I think about it, I gave that gizmo to my brother and he never figured out how to use it, so you might have a point. I have a bad habit of thinking everyone is of equal intelligence.

Rich

Well not everyone is like us on here. ;)

#36 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

Simply put, the 5 tuners has nearly eliminated tuner conflicts that crop up due to padding. But with OTA it is still limited to two.

It has been very reliable for me.

So in summary.
Very easy to use. Little worry about conflicts. And hasn't missed a recording in nearly a year that I obtained one.

#37 OFFLINE   drpjr

drpjr

Icon

• Registered
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

I like being able to record two or three shows and still have Double Play available.
HR34/HR24-500/Mits WD73C8
HR20-100 HR24-500//Samsung UN55F6350AF
SWiM Network w/MRV
AT&T 2Wire Gateway Modem/Router

#38 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Which is, IMHO, rather unusable.

It's definitely awkward. But, it only takes a couple of seconds to be in PIP mode so I wouldn't say it’s unusable.

Of course in my case I’ve got it programmed as a macro on my remote, upper right. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,695 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Well not everyone is like us on here. ;)

I know, still amazes me.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Just installed mine today. What a great device. First DVR I've added in years. Still have two HR20-700s going strong. Nine tuners to record on will make the entire family very happy.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...