Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Genie "The Good Stuff" Discussion

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Ok, another question which arrises out of the remote for the HR34 appearing to be identical to the one for my HR20. I have kept the HR20 because I have an external HD with a bunch of shows we want to watch.

Are the two remotes sending identical signals which will be received by to DVR's or are they sending different signals? I hope it's the latter.

Once I get everything settled in I plan on adding the HR34 to my Harmony 880 up for the HR34. I sure don't want the HR34 signals to be doing something to the HR20.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,478 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

You should definitely give it time to pull in the full Guide!

Those remotes are the same signal, but there are ways to get around this other than just wide separation of the boxes. I've done this only once, so am not the guy to instruct you on this.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#83 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Well, I've proven one thing: when I used the 880 programmed for the HR20, and press Playlist, up comes the playlist one HR34. That's got me worried.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#84 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Well, I've proven one thing: when I used the 880 programmed for the HR20, and press Playlist, up comes the playlist one HR34. That's got me worried.

You'll need to either set one to use RF or set one to use an alternate IR codebase.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#85 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

You'll need to either set one to use RF or set one to use an alternate IR codebase.

How is that done? I wonder if the Harmony 880 can do RF?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#86 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Here's another oddity that occurred after (of course) the tech left. You know those radio, "this is a test, in case of an emergent..." things that you hear on the radio from time to time? I got one on the HR34 while I was tuned to HBO.

It took over the screen and the audio and made reference to the Los Angeles county sherif, I think it was. Obviously nothing that applied to Arkansas. Anyone else run into this?
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#87 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

How is that done? I wonder if the Harmony 880 can do RF?

No, the Harmony 880 can't do RF.

In a nutshell what you need to do is cover the IR port of one of the units then switch to the other and set it up to use the "AV1" or "AV2" code setup. You'll then have to program your Harmony 880 using the learning feature.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#88 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

No, the Harmony 880 can't do RF.

In a nutshell what you need to do is cover the IR port of one of the units then switch to the other and set it up to use the "AV1" or "AV2" code setup. You'll then have to program your Harmony 880 using the learning feature.

Does the covered IR port remain covered permanently? I'm thinking not, right?

I might mosey on over to the logitech forums and see if they've got both code bases. If I could load the harmony with separate code bases for each DVR, that would work, wouldn't it? If they've got the code bases, that is.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#89 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

Your HR20 and your HR34 are both capable of operating on any one of several IR codes, or on RF.

Given your limited use of the HR20 now, I would simply change it to rf mode and use the DirecTV remote to operate it. That's the easiest solution. Also, if you activate whole-home service, you can watch all the recordings from the HR on your 34, and never have to do anything with regard to controlling the HR20. Or change it to another IR code, but again just use the DirecTV remote for the HR20 and you don't have to hassle with changing/adding to the Harmony.

#90 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Does the covered IR port remain covered permanently? I'm thinking not, right?

I might mosey on over to the logitech forums and see if they've got both code bases. If I could load the harmony with separate code bases for each DVR, that would work, wouldn't it? If they've got the code bases, that is.

No, you only cover it while you program the other.

Way back when Logitech would let their users submit entries to their database. At that time I provided the alternate codebases and they were available to everyone. Lately logitech has only provided default remote codes. You'll have to "learn" the other codebase. It takes all of 5 minutes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#91 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Given your limited use of the HR20 now, I would simply change it to rf mode and use the DirecTV remote to operate it. That's the easiest solution.

I agree with this suggestion.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#92 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Your HR20 and your HR34 are both capable of operating on any one of several IR codes, or on RF.

Given your limited use of the HR20 now, I would simply change it to rf mode and use the DirecTV remote to operate it. That's the easiest solution. Also, if you activate whole-home service, you can watch all the recordings from the HR on your 34, and never have to do anything with regard to controlling the HR20. Or change it to another IR code, but again just use the DirecTV remote for the HR20 and you don't have to hassle with changing/adding to the Harmony.

I didn't know the HR20 and remote could do RF. I do like this idea the best.
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#93 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

So does anyone know approximately how many hours of HD recordings the hard drive will hold?

Also, if you are using PIP (a biggie for me...I'm a huge sports fan!), is it easy to toggle back and forth, making the 'little picture' large, and vice versa?

Thanks!

Sandra

#94 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

.....Also, if you are using PIP (a biggie for me...I'm a huge sports fan!), is it easy to toggle back and forth, making the 'little picture' large, and vice versa?

Thanks!

Sandra

Yes once you're in PiP it's easy, just toggle it by hitting the down arrow. This is also how you toggle the double play feature.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#95 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,418 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

So does anyone know approximately how many hours of HD recordings the hard drive will hold?

I've got 80 hours of HD on mine right now, with 55% free, so that works out to about 177 hours. Almost half of my HD is MPEG-2 OTA, tho, so I'll bet 100% MPEG-4 is closer to 200 hours.
/steve

#96 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

I've got 80 hours of HD on mine right now, with 55% free, so that works out to about 177 hours. Almost half of my HD is MPEG-2 OTA, tho, so I'll bet 100% MPEG-4 is closer to 200 hours.

I think they say up to 200 in hd mpeg4 don't they?

Of course, if you add an esata drive, that could double, triple or more... :)

#97 OFFLINE   jangell2

jangell2

Godfather

• Registered
  • 275 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I went through the procedure of switching to RF on the HR20 but it doesn't work. The receiver doesn't respond to the remote at all. This may be because there's no RF antenna attached. I see a coaxial input on the back for RF. Would a set of rabbit ears, or one of those cheapie antennas that come in the box with a TV work?

Speaking of coaxial, I went shopping for a 10 foot digital coaxial cable yesterday. The 6 footer I have just barely reaches and I like to have room to spare, otherwise it's hard to pull out stuff to work on it. Apparently retailers in Little Rock believe we don't need anything longer the 6 feet, there isn't a cable longer than that.

More than once I was shown a regular coaxial cable, they often didn't realize there was such a thing as digital coax. I went to Home Depot, BB, and two Radio Shacks.

Sheesh!
johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#98 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Local stores such as BB are notorious for selling incredibly overpriced cables. Even their "cheap" cables will be WAY overpriced. Unless you need it immediately you are much better of getting them on-line at Amazon, Monoprice, or Blue Jeans cable. You can get 10ft digital coaxial cables at Amazon for around $2....
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#99 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

Speaking of coaxial, I went shopping for a 10 foot digital coaxial cable yesterday. The 6 footer I have just barely reaches and I like to have room to spare, otherwise it's hard to pull out stuff to work on it. Apparently retailers in Little Rock believe we don't need anything longer the 6 feet, there isn't a cable longer than that.

More than once I was shown a regular coaxial cable, they often didn't realize there was such a thing as digital coax. I went to Home Depot, BB, and two Radio Shacks.

That's because no one would buy anything over six feet at the prices they'd charge for such a cable in a big box store. :D

Since you have a cable that is working in the meantime, and thus could tolerate a few days' shipping time, consider buying one of ideal length from Monoprice. Some are even made of RG6, and ten-footers are still under $5. Non-RG6 less than half that.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#100 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,478 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

What makes a coaxial cable "digital" or not? Is it the price, or is there really something in the specs?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall