Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish Hopper Jumper

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thinking about jumping to direct and one item I may miss with my Hopper is that I can view my local nas device and my windows server and watch videos I've ripped. Does the Genie alow anything like that?
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

Thinking about jumping to direct and one item I may miss with my Hopper is that I can view my local nas device and my windows server and watch videos I've ripped. Does the Genie alow anything like that?

There is a list of Home Media Servers - check it and you'll have to play the ripped videos.

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

From what I have read on here the current iteration of Media Share (the function of the DirecTV receivers that allows you to play music/movie files) supports very few codecs. Some people have used programs (like TVersity and PlayOn I think) to transcode the files in realtime in order to get it to work, but have varying results. My gut is telling me you probably won't have much luck with this feature at this time. However, I believe a few people have said that DirecTV will eventually upgrade Media Share to gain more functionality, but there isn't a real timeline so I'm not sure you would want to rely on it.

Your best bet is probably to get something like a ROKU, or AppleTV and use them instead. They are relatively cheap and give you more options like Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

and just BTW: dish giving for free Roku XD for ppl who want AMC channels what is removed form its lineup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...