Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Some XM Channels in Mono!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Has anyone noticed that XM (not Sirius) radios have gone mono (no stereo) on several channels lately? The channels I've noticed are 50's on 5, Escape, and Pop2K.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

I never noticed a lot of stereo separation on any XM channel...but were there even any stereo recordings made in the 50's? I seem to recall the first stereo LP I bought was in the 60's.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:39 AM

In 1925 the BBC made radio's first stereo broadcast using a experimental transmitting station. In 1952 Chicago radio station WGN and it's sister station WGNB collaborated on a hourlong sterophonic demonstration broadcast. New York City's WQRX initiated it's first stereophonic broadcast in 1952 and by 1954 was broadcasting all of it's live musical programs in stereophonic sound. In 1958 the first mass produced two channel vinyl records were issued by Audio Fidelity in the USA and Pye in Britain.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Has anyone noticed that XM (not Sirius) radios have gone mono (no stereo) on several channels lately? The channels I've noticed are 50's on 5, Escape, and Pop2K.

It has been going on for a few weeks now. The Blend is another channel that has been mentioned but then went back to stereo. The Groove is also in mono. People on other boards have been asking and to SXM's Facebook and Twitter pages but SXM can't give answer. Someone on another board said that October has the most sports and they have to do some balancing so that could be why. Hopefully it will be temporary.

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

Someone on another board said that October has the most sports and they have to do some balancing so that could be why. Hopefully it will be temporary.

Probably true in most years, but I'm guessing their hockey channels aren't using much band width right now (or are they broadcasting a bunch of other non-NHL games?)

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Tuned into XM92 two different times today. Two different AHL games being broadcast. But the other NHL channels weren't in use.

#7 OFFLINE   Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Channel 4 (The 40's) switched to Holiday Traditions over the past holiday season. Most of the programming was old and recorded in monaural. But some of the music played was new enough to be recorded in stereo. I've heard these tracks hundreds of time, and consequently know what they sound like. I noticed that some of the stereo tracks were distinctly missing a channel, and that the opposite channel was being broadcast. In other words, I was listening to two right channels (or two left)! .....like they thought the listeners wouldn't notice......

spam firewall