Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

two HR24s side by side- how to control?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hi all,
Tried searching for answer, but didn't really find answer as I could not figure out how to articulate the question...apparently. :)

I am about to close our 3-season room for the winter. I had a new HR24 installed out there for summer use. I am thinking about putting it in the living room next to my other HR24. What do I have to do to the remotes so they will work independently and not control both receivers at the same time?

thanks,
Jon

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

You can do it in RF mode. It's in the settings then remote settings. There will be instructions on your receiver on how to designate the other receiver under the AV1 switch on your remote.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:09 PM

RF will certainly work. You can also set one of the two DVRs to the secondary IR code (AV1 on the remote, AV1/AV2 in the remote setup part of the DVR setup menu). Cover the IR sensor on the primary while you are working with the secondary (or make the changes before you move it to the other location).

The IR code to program in the remote for the second (AV1) position is 00003.

#4 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

I've an HR20, HR21, and an HR34 all in the same room. I just set them up with separate ir codes and they work fine. To make life easier/lazier, I control everything with a harmony 900.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

I did this with a Harmony and separate codes as well. Only issue that came up, at least one of my receivers used the default code during the bootup, then switched. I had a HR22-100 and an HR20-100 back then.

#6 OFFLINE   calidelphia

calidelphia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Here's instructions that worked for me.

#7 OFFLINE   jammer0910

jammer0910

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationN.E. Oklahoma

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Just reading all these posts and have a question. (kinda new to this stuff). I have an HR-21-100 and just moved an HR-24-100 next to it last night. Will those instructions from calidelphia work for these dvrs?
I think they're set for rf 'cause even when I cover one up to use the remote on the other, it turns on the one that's covered up also. I may not be covering the IR sensor completely 'cause I'm not sure where it is on either one.
Any help would be appreciated so I can use these. I have a lot of stuff recorded on them that I don't want to watch on the BR TV.

Thanks in advance, John
John M.
My Setup: 2-HR24-100, 1-HR21-100, 1-HR23-700 - AU9Slimline dish - Zinwell WB-68 MS

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

jammer

The sensor eye is usually located about 1 inch to the right of the power light on the left side of the receiver.

Take a look here when you get one of them covered up.
Menu, Settings, Info and Test, More Info, Channel Down.
The setting Type ( IR or RF ) for the Remote should be on that screen.

Edited by jimmie57, 16 October 2012 - 12:30 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Just reading all these posts and have a question. (kinda new to this stuff). I have an HR-21-100 and just moved an HR-24-100 next to it last night. Will those instructions from calidelphia work for these dvrs?
I think they're set for rf 'cause even when I cover one up to use the remote on the other, it turns on the one that's covered up also. I may not be covering the IR sensor completely 'cause I'm not sure where it is on either one.
Any help would be appreciated so I can use these. I have a lot of stuff recorded on them that I don't want to watch on the BR TV.

Thanks in advance, John

Theres no way receivers set to RF mode would ever interfere with each other, can't happen. So your receivers are in IR mode, and your not covering up fully.

As for the directions, the menu item have changed since 2007, but once you get to receiver mode in the menu, it should by the same.
aka Tivoburkee

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

I've found the easiest way to make sure you are only programming one receiver at a time is to just unplug the power cord for the second one. That way you don't have to worry about whether or not you have the IR sensor completely covered etc.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   jammer0910

jammer0910

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts
  • LocationN.E. Oklahoma

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Thanks, If all goes well I'm going to try to do this tomorrow.
If I understand correctly, the first DVR will stay the same. I just cover the IR eye on the 1st DVR and then program the 2nd DVR to AV1 on the remote and AV1/AV2 on the DVR? When do I enter the 00003? Is this all in the instructions on the menu?
Sorry for so many questions but I'm a little unsure of what I'm gonna do.
Thanks for the help,
John
John M.
My Setup: 2-HR24-100, 1-HR21-100, 1-HR23-700 - AU9Slimline dish - Zinwell WB-68 MS

#12 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

First thing you do when your ready to switch addresses on the second receiver, is program code 00003 to either AV1 or AV2 device on the remote. Then you slide back to the DTV device and enter the menu of the receiver.

If you have an rc65x, rc65rx, or rc65rbx, remote with your hr24, do the following to use the old menu options:

1. directv device
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks
3. enter 9 6 3
4. press CH DOWN

now enter the menu:

1. menu> settings & help> settings> remote control> receiver mode>
2. you will see either Directv or AV1/AV2, click whichever to reveal both
3. chose AV1/AV2, then done, the remote will stop controlling the receiver, now slide to AV1 or AV2 whichever has code 00003.
4. exit the menu

you can reprogram the DTV device with code 00003, reprogram av1 or av2 for whatever.
aka Tivoburkee

Protected By... spam firewall...And...